Guess the origins of another footballer!

Kisuan

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian American
He might be well known, I'm not sure. But just another person to guess if anyone is bored and curious. :)
first.jpg

second.jpg

third.jpeg

Central verging on Eastern Central Europe northern slopes of the alps going East?

He does look central doesn't he? East is getting warming, but he isn't from Central Europe.

Eastern Europe somewhere, maybe even northeast Europe? Latvia, Lithuania, something like that?

Eastern Europe somewhere, maybe even northeast Europe? Latvia, Lithuania, something like that?
Eastern Europe indeed, but not in the Baltic like Lithuania, Latvia, etc... or the northeast even.

my next guess will be Polish or Check then?

He looks like someone from Iceland, or judging by the colours of this T-shirt - from Sweden

Polish and Czech are incorrect.

Maleth and I have been on the right track; I'd swear to it. There's something eastern about him, not central European. If he's not from eastern Europe per se, then maybe an atypical person from the Balkans.

Maleth and I have been on the right track; I'd swear to it. There's something eastern about him, not central European. If he's not from eastern Europe per se, then maybe an atypical person from the Balkans.
Which country in the Balkan (you're definitely on the right track) would you suspect him to be Angela, if we were to say he was? I suppose this country he's from might not have an exactly clear geographical classification.

He looks like someone from Iceland, or judging by the colours of this T-shirt - from Sweden
Would you reckon he'd pass as someone typical or atypical in Scandinavia Dagne?

Which country in the Balkan (you're definitely on the right track) would you suspect him to be Angela, if we were to say he was? I suppose this country he's from might not have an exactly clear cultural or geographical classification.

Well, I was in Romania once, and there's a part of Romania, Transylvania, where the people are more Hungarian than Romanian, or at least Hungarian admixed, and some of them looked rather eastern European like to me, so maybe there?

Well, I was in Romania once, and there's a part of Romania, Transylvania, where the people are more Hungarian than Romanian, or at least Hungarian admixed, and some of them looked rather eastern European like to me, so maybe there?
Hmm, I don't think Romanians from Transylvania are more admixed with Hungarians (perhaps Romanians have more German strains since Saxons traditionally lived in Transylvania as well, but Germanic groups have passed through this region historically too so it's hard to say who's more responsible for certain lineages), since on data including autosomal genes Romanians from all regions are moreso related to each other than with Hungarians (or other northern neighbors for that matter). Diurpaneus gave an interesting study which included blood samples and tests with other countries for relatedness in this thread: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/26718-Vlach-haplogroups-amp-deep-ancestry/page5

Hmm, I don't think Romanians from Transylvania are more admixed with Hungarians (perhaps Romanians have more German strains since Saxons traditionally lived in Transylvania as well, but Germanic groups have passed through this region historically too so it's hard to say who's more responsible for certain lineages), since on data including autosomal genes Romanians from all regions are moreso related to each other than with Hungarians (or other northern neighbors for that matter). Diurpaneus gave an interesting study which included blood samples and tests with other countries for relatedness in this thread: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/26718-Vlach-haplogroups-amp-deep-ancestry/page5

Well, let's put it this way...I was privileged to be hosted by more than one family in Transylvania who considered themselves ethnic "Hungarians" rather than ethnic "Romanians", and they were vehement about that. They also told me there has been a certain amount of intermarriage with "Romanians".

I certainly saw it in the phenotypes. Whether that comports with dna studies I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarians_in_Romania

Well, let's put it this way...I was privileged to be hosted by more than one family in Transylvania who considered themselves ethnic "Hungarians" rather than ethnic "Romanians", and they were vehement about that. They also told me there has been a certain amount of intermarriage with "Romanians".

I certainly saw it in the phenotypes. Whether that comports with dna studies I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarians_in_Romania

Ah, it must have been a pleasant experience. However, I don't think many people would know, but there is a great amount of political turmoil (at least shown media wise and on the web) between Romania and Hungary regarding the Hungarian minority in Transylvania and even ownership of Transylvania itself (Note, till about the end of World War I, the region was under the dominion of Austria-Hungary). There are movements amongst the Hungarian minority in Transylvania for autonomy (specifically in a region called Szekerland) from the Romanian government/Romania (and accusations of oppression). It's not surprising that your hosts vehemently identify as Hungarians or else they would risk losing their identity and battle (I get vibes). Of course, if they speak of intermarriages with Romanians (I suspect they are especially suggestive that the Hungarian component is much greater than Romanian), this could be argument that the land is predominately inhabited by "Hungarians" (in a "genetic" sense I suppose) but were forced to change their identity to Romanian, hence the land would be rightfully "Hungarian". One of the arguments made between them is demographics, which shows fluctuating data for the number of Romanians and Hungarians throughout Transylvania historically. By about mid-19th century, the majority of the population identified as Romanian (about more than half). At the end of World War I, the treaty of Trianon divided Austria-Hungary between several nations based on demographics, and Romania received Transylvania as a result.

I suppose to know the demographic reality and the possibility of mixing would be genetic tests, but from a cultural standpoint wouldn't intermarriage between the two be quite uncommon? (The Romanians are Orthodox Christians and Hungarians Catholics, I'm unsure, sorry, but these cross-denomination mixing wouldn't be extremely common back then would they?)

The Hungarians are a bit enigmatic due to their background and especially language, but so are the Romanians too in some ways.

Sorry, this is irrelevant to the thread, and I probably shouldn't go on unless we start a new thread on the issue (and this topic could be sensitive to some of our members). However, this could explain the attitudes of your hosts Angela (and also I point out that the situation is more complicated than it seems).

I learned more about this topic while trying to learn more about Eastern Europe (it's quite amazing how many volatile situations you can find throughout the region, but definitely it's a more saddening thing), perhaps other members can give their own opinions in another thread.

I tried, as I usually do, to stay out of inter-ethnic disputes. I got the feeling that, as in a lot of Communist countries, there wasn't all that much religious practice going on. I assumed that. as in my part of Italy, a lot of people are just nominal members of a religion, although I may be wrong about that, and people may opt for only the civil marriage ceremony. Anyway, I think they meant that over the years a lot of the "Hungarians" had been absorbed by the "Romanian" majority, changing the religion along the way as well. That may all be agenda driven spin, however. As I said, I tried to stay out of their internal conflicts.

All in all, most of the people I met in various parts of the country were very simpatico. One engineer I met came to visit me here, and I tried to help him get a visa, but I was unsuccessful. I felt desperately sorry for the condition that they found themselves in, and the downfall of Ceaucescu was absolutely no surprise to me.

This thread has been viewed 6695 times.

Back