Good bye to bank passwords

well I wonder what will be next?

so modern thieves/criminals will carry the finger or the eye of the owner to the ATM?
sorry an ugly thought I saw on a movie, with such systems,

Why not straight to face recognition? Every ATM machine has a camera already.

Easier to knock someone out and shove his/her face in front of the ATM than to know the password they should still keep in their heads. Especially if you have jagged rocks as knuckles like me (LOL I remember a confrontation with a kid in elementary school, needless to say I went to the principal's and he went to the nurse. I'm a software developer so I turned out alright).

Easier to knock someone out and shove his/her face in front of the ATM than to know the password they should still keep in their heads.
I'm sure software for face recognition can distinguish a conscious man from not so. Some software can also recognise suspicious behaviour of people, not only face or siluet. Anyway these are technicalities. Is someone going to dismember a human or knock people out for 400 bucks worth of money one can pull from ATm?! It is much easier to stand outside ATM and rob people when they already got the money. A difference probably between misdemeanor/felony and a criminal case. Not that I've done that, so know that, lol. Just saying.

Probably cashless society is around the corner anyway. I have to activate my Apple Pay. Supposedly it should work in canada now.

I see what you mean; though knocking out would result in a much more lenient punishment than removing someone's body parts ;).

Joking aside though, the issue with facial recognition is the fact that
A) people's faces change over time. In two weeks I doubt I'll be as clean shaven as I am now.

B) twins and being the "splitting image" of one parent who may already have an account at that bank. Must the parent switch banks?

I think if anything, this should be one extra barrier to prevent a criminal from using someone else's card. The criminal would need to not only know the pin, but he would also need additional "anatomical" data as well which adds a challenge. But this may encourage more assaults by criminals desparate for someone's money. Wouldn't say there's a win win I know of (now).

Meh, splitting image of a parent won't be an issue after enough time passes and you start resembling that parent, that parent would be aged enough to still look different from you.

My bad, my bad

I see what you mean; though knocking out would result in a much more lenient punishment than removing someone's body parts ;).

Joking aside though, the issue with facial recognition is the fact that
A) people's faces change over time. In two weeks I doubt I'll be as clean shaven as I am now.
Smart software can update database with time and accommodate daily facial changes.

B) twins and being the "splitting image" of one parent who may already have an account at that bank. Must the parent switch banks?
Good point. Twins faces are hard to distinguish between. I guess one still need other form of identification like a banking card or phone-id.

Smart software can update database with time and accommodate daily facial changes.

Good point. Twins faces are hard to distinguish between. I guess one still need other form of identification like a banking card or phone-id.

Exactly! And IMO there's too much complexity surrounding facial recognition, one of which is that beards can fool the software. Updating the db (assuming you were clean shaven when it first "got to know you") won't work because it would first need to confirm that you're you. If it can weed out the beard from the bare skin that would make this that much more possible, but that would be a huge computational load. Note that I'm just speculating, I'm not well educated in facial recognition software so if there's some studly implementation out there that does this efficiently, then all means but we can't expect to see this put to play anytime soon IMO.

I'm all about fingerprints. Everyone has a unique profile, there's no beard growth on fingers (hopefully) and they sound simpler to trace. And nothing can change them.

....except for horrific injuries. If someone's unable to provide a fingerprint, then the old fashioned pin system would be a good alternative.

....except for horrific injuries. If someone's unable to provide a fingerprint, then the old fashioned pin system would be a good alternative.
Yes, the pin system should always remain as a back up. Sometimes my iphone has problem with my fingerprint and I use pin to unlock. To avoid that I recorded 3 fingerprints for unlocking (yes, you can do multiple digits), one always work.

This thread has been viewed 6654 times.

Back