Genetic Associations for Migraines

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Interestingly, 23andme data was important in this study by the Broad Institute, Harvard.

See:
http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/new-genetic-associations-found-for-migraines/

"[FONT=&quot]Along with identifying 44 variants associated with migraines, the findings also point to vascular dysfunction as one of the biological underpinnings for the disease. Researchers have debated for years whether vascular or neuronal dysfunction could explain a propensity for migraines. This study provides the first genetic evidence pointing to vascular dysfunction as a potential cause.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Read more at http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/new-genetic-associations-found-for-migraines/#wV0GYakVSU5WF4H6.99"

I could have told them that...in fact I did tell 23andme that, a number of times. :)

I saw it work with my mother. She suffered from debilitating migraines most of her adult life. Then, when she developed high blood pressure and started taking medication for it they disappeared never to return. I never suffered from them the way my mother did, but both my brother and I had them, the horrifying kind where in addition to the pain you get visual disturbances and sometimes acute nausea. We both got high blood pressure later on, took the medications, and poof! voila'! gone. [/FONT]

Interestingly, 23andme data was important in this study by the Broad Institute, Harvard.

See:
http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/new-genetic-associations-found-for-migraines/

"Along with identifying 44 variants associated with migraines, the findings also point to vascular dysfunction as one of the biological underpinnings for the disease. Researchers have debated for years whether vascular or neuronal dysfunction could explain a propensity for migraines. This study provides the first genetic evidence pointing to vascular dysfunction as a potential cause.
Read more at http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/new-genetic-associations-found-for-migraines/#wV0GYakVSU5WF4H6.99"

I could have told them that...in fact I did tell 23andme that, a number of times. :)

I saw it work with my mother. She suffered from debilitating migraines most of her adult life. Then, when she developed high blood pressure and started taking medication for it they disappeared never to return. I never suffered from them the way my mother did, but both my brother and I had them, the horrifying kind where in addition to the pain you get visual disturbances and sometimes acute nausea. We both got high blood pressure later on, took the medications, and poof! voila'! gone.
My migraines are a genetic gift from my mother. We have the 24 hour type. Thank god for Zomig/Triptan, a miracle drug for migraines.

See:

"[FONT=&quot]Along with identifying 44 variants associated with migraines, the findings also point to vascular dysfunction as one of the biological underpinnings for the disease. Researchers have debated for years whether vascular or neuronal dysfunction could explain a propensity for migraines. This study provides the first genetic evidence pointing to vascular dysfunction as a potential cause.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I saw it work with my mother. She suffered from debilitating migraines most of her adult life. Then, when she developed high blood pressure and started taking medication for it they disappeared never to return. I never suffered from them the way my mother did, but both my brother and I had them, the horrifying kind where in addition to the pain you get visual disturbances and sometimes acute nausea. We both got high blood pressure later on, took the medications, and poof! voila'! gone. [/FONT]
Angela, what kind of medication did you take for high blood pressure? My father suffers from high blood pressure and migraines too but medications don't help much.

Sent from my LG-D620 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Angela, what kind of medication did you take for high blood pressure? My father suffers from high blood pressure and migraines too but medications don't help much.

Sent from my LG-D620 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Everyone is different, Coriolan, but what I take is Lisinopril and Triamterene. The doctor first tried the Lisinopril alone , but it didn't have much of an effect. He was resistant to giving me the Triamterene, but I told him a water pill had worked for my mother so he relented. My blood pressure went down and has stayed down.ni

The debilitating migraines also stopped. I occasionally will still get a bit of a headache with a little visual disturbance, but if I take two ibuprofin it stops. That never used to be the case.

The only thing you have to do when on a water pill is make sure you get plenty of potassium, so I eat bananas and other potassium rich food quite frequently.

Your mother has my sympathies, Coriolan. It's awful having to endure them. I hope something works.

@LeBroc,
That's what my mother had: twenty-four hours of excruciating pain, visual disturbances (she had to stay in a darkened room) and intense nausea and vomiting at least once a month for years, for all of my childhood and adolescence, really. It usually fell to me to take care of her, although a cousin lived nearby and would help. It was very difficult to watch, especially because there was so little I could do. Mine were much shorter in duration, thank God.

It still makes me angry when I remember what nonsense the doctors at the time talked: it's indigestion, a "nervous stomach", blah, blah, blah...

Now I wish I had high blood pressure,... Seriously, I recommend Triptan.

This thread has been viewed 3778 times.

Back