23andMe Interpretation of my results

Sakattack

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am opening this thread in order to get some help interpreting my dna results from 23and me. I start right away:

1) My "ancestry composition"

Conservative results:

22.3%
European​

Southern European
4.7%
Italian
4.8%
Broadly Southern European
12.8%
Broadly European

16.6%
Middle Eastern & North African​

16.2%

Middle Eastern
0.4%

Broadly Middle Eastern & North African
61.1%
Unassigned

Standard results:

42.2%
Middle Eastern & North African​

40.4%
Middle Eastern
1.8%

35.8%
European

Southern European
17.2%
Italian
14.2%
4.4%
Broadly European
22.0%
Unassigned

Speculative results:

52.1%
Middle Eastern & North African

51.5%
Middle Eastern
0.7%

46.5%
European​

Southern European
35.6%
Italian
0.5%
Balkan
6.5%
0.1%
Eastern European
0.1%
Ashkenazi
3.6%
Broadly European
1.4%
Unassigned

So looks like I am in between South Europe and Middle East, which I assume it's pretty much logical, since I am Greek. Moreover, I have Minor Asian/Anatolian ancestry and Anatolia (modern Turkey) is considered "Middle East" in 23and me.

Something I find quite unusual, though, is the fact that my "South European" ancestry comes to a huge extent from the "Italian" cluster and not the "Balkan" one: 35,6% vs 0,5%, that's a blow out! Why? Any ideas?

The lack of any other ethnic group (besides Middle East and South Europe) in my composition (absolutely no "North African" or "North European" and "SubSaharan" (of course no "Asian" or "American" too) and only "noise" from "Ashkenazi" (0,1%) and "East European" (0.1%)) says what exactly do you think? No admixtures? Kinda "pure" ancestry? Is it quite common or unusual?

And overall, how "typical" would you find my composition for a Greek? Could I pass genetically in other modern nation?

2) My paternal linage

This one was a bit surpising for me. I belong to the haplo J1. No subclade or anything else is specified or explained.

I've read that this a typical for Arabs and Jews, even though autosomally I seem to have to connection with them. In my country J1 is found in only 3% of the population and many say that this is due to the"modern" Turkish occupation (1200+), which brought some Arab troops (at at some degree were already a bit admixtured with them). In Turkey (were my ancestors used to live prior 1922 and the population exhange) the J1 haplo is also low (9%) and many relate it with the neighbouring Arab countries and some absorption during Ottoman Era.

I would like to ask you if there is a way to clarify my subclade and also I will welcome any comments or suppositions of "how I got it".

3) My maternal linage

Well, this is T2g. Just saw some maps, looks quite widespread and totally one that I could belong to. Any comments?

Thanks a lot in advance.

This thread has been viewed 2579 times.

Back