Image of the brain of a Paleolithic child

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Well, if they can get it from the skull, it's extraordinary, but color me a bit skeptical.

See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/4632-160708-italy-hunter-gatherer-brain

"FLORENCE, ITALY—The Local, Italy, reports that a skull from Calabria’s Paleolithic site of Grotta del Romito has been used to recreate the brain of a 12-year-old boy who lived around 17,000 years ago. “The boy was still growing and therefore the bones of his skull were quite soft,” said Fabio Martini of the University of Florence. Martini explained that the pressure of the growing brain left an imprint on the inside of the skull, which can be read with 3-D scanners. Scientists hope to compare the young hunter-gatherer’s brain structures to those of children living today, especially the areas of the brain responsible for language, social interaction, and spatial coordination."

This is artwork from the Grotta del Romito where he was found.

950020733-850x400.jpg

These are other remains from that cave. The man has his arm over the woman's shoulder.

a_sepoltura.jpg

So one brain or skull is going to tell the full story of children and human beings in the Paleolithic? I don't think so.

So one brain or skull is going to tell the full story of children and human beings in the Paleolithic? I don't think so.

Not quite, every little scrap of archeology isn't left out. From Genetics-Ancient biology and Scrapings-Works of art. The child's brain is just a good step forward in learning the biology of out Paleolithic ancestors.

This thread has been viewed 4028 times.

Back