Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
Apparently dealing cannabis was a very lucrative business on the Eurasian Steppe of the Bronze Age:

Article - https://www.newscientist.com/articl...n-civilisation-were-prehistoric-dope-dealers/

Also in later times, Iranic-speakers of the Pazyryk culture (including the Ukok Princess) smoked weed:

"The Ukok plateau, Altai, Siberia, where Princess and two warriors were discovered. Their bodies were surrounded by six horses fully bridles, various offering of food and a pouch of cannabis":

Full article - The astonishing 2,500 year old tattoos of a Siberian princess - and how little has changed in the art | Daily Mail Online

The mummy of Ukok Princess with tatoos - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xNsV8ARnHKo/U4oBTKuixtI/AAAAAAAArdk/fFutOjewBhw/s1600/93972694.jpg

^^^ She died aged ca. 25 years old.

I've always claimed this for IE's. I hope it to be true. It would account for their apparent unprecedented skill at animal mastery.

This thread means a lot to me.

I think Pazyryk culture is too eastern to be considered Scythian in the proper sense. It was in any case a rather mixed Eurasian culture, wherein only the women resembled the Caucasoid populations of the western grasslands and Eastern Europe.

Apparently dealing cannabis was a very lucrative business on the Eurasian Steppe of the Bronze Age...Also in later times, Iranic-speakers of the Pazyryk culture (including the Ukok Princess) smoked weed..
these scytoid tribes of a short period of the 700-400 BC weren't proto-indoeuropeans, who dwelled the steppes millenias earlier. It even isn't quite clear if the pazyryk were IE at all. Guess the whole issues of drug dealing IE is a primitive racist slur and has nothing to do with science at all.

Do we have PIE word for Cannabis?
On other hand might not be an issue.

I think Pazyryk culture is too eastern to be considered Scythian in the proper sense. It was in any case a rather mixed Eurasian culture, wherein only the women resembled the Caucasoid populations of the western grasslands and Eastern Europe.

???
Have you some basis to your present affirmation concerning complete dichotomy between males and females in Pazyryk? It seems Pazyryk population was heterogenous at some stage of its life ('europoid'/'east-asian', roughly said), in the meaning of individuals showing different degrees of admixture, based on anDNA; even if I have not the sex of the concerned remnants, I can guess it was not so simple (males vs females). I 'll try to find more details about Pazyryk evolution by time. If you have some details at hand, you can give them to me.

Scytho-Siberian
Pazyryk culture
Altaï RepublicSebÿstei Valley [SEB 96 K1]M450 BC

F2aRicaut 2004c
Scytho-Siberian
Pazyryk culture
Altaï RepublicSebÿstei Valley [SEB 96K2]M450 BCR1a1aM17D?Ricaut 2004c;Keyser 2009

mtDNA is eastern, Y DNA European

we don't know the origin of the Scyths, only that they had expanded over a vast area

Someones think Pazyryk was Turkic, other I-Eans or more precisely Scythian ( I wait someone thinking they were Ugric). At first sight their culture were closer to Scythian cultures of other places. Others say the males were a mix of 'europoid' and 'east-asian' when females were more on the 'europoid side' (it's the case of the Princess), showing perhaps later relations with more western lands (trade). Others (scholars) think the mixture in Altay was ancient enough, based on mt-DNA, and that as a whole, the later expansions from Altay were the result of a demographic growth on the basis of an already well mixed population since a long enough time, without recent heavy moves from West or East into the region...???
Helas I don't know how many corpses have been tested for Y and mt-DNA, and I suppose the number in cause is yet not sufficient - period by period - to allow a chronological stratification to show from where the first bearers of the culture came there IF they came there.

Do we have PIE word for Cannabis?
On other hand might not be an issue.

The word cannabis in English comes from Greek via Latin. But Greek borrowed it supposedly from Scythian or Thracian.
The fact that a most likely related word existed in Neo-Assyrian cuneiform texts in the first millenium BCE for me means that the root isn't necessarily IE.
If it is IE it would mean that Scythians or Thracians (or some other 'Indoeuropeans') exported cannabis to Assyria.

The word cannabis in English comes from Greek via Latin. But Greek borrowed it supposedly from Scythian or Thracian.
The fact that a most likely related word existed in Neo-Assyrian cuneiform texts in the first millenium BCE for me means that the root isn't necessarily IE.
If it is IE it would mean that Scythians or Thracians (or some other 'Indoeuropeans') exported cannabis to Assyria.
It is interesting that from Cannabis some of the first ropes were made.
In a dialect i speak,variant of southern-slavic the material "hemp" from which rope is made we call it Kanъb which is the most close word to the original name,the plant however generally is called in Slavic Konop,as well the various material made of it strings,ropes etc.

mtDNA is eastern, Y DNA European

we don't know the origin of the Scyths, only that they had expanded over a vast area

R1a1a is European? How did you come to that conclusion?

In any case, Pazyryk is a highly stratified culture spanning all across the Altai range. The skeletons retrieved from the Pazyryk burial mounds reveal an unambiguous association between morphology, sex and social status, with the Europoid skeletons showing a tendency towards lowered social status and female sex. That's what Sergei Rudenko who led the excavation at Pazyryk found; see his book "Frozen Tombs of Siberia: The Pazyryk Burials of Iron Age Horsemen".

R1a1a is European? How did you come to that conclusion?

In any case, Pazyryk is a highly stratified culture spanning all across the Altai range. The skeletons retrieved from the Pazyryk burial mounds reveal an unambiguous association between morphology, sex and social status, with the Europoid skeletons showing a tendency towards lowered social status and female sex. That's what Sergei Rudenko who led the excavation at Pazyryk found; see his book "Frozen Tombs of Siberia: The Pazyryk Burials of Iron Age Horsemen".

Thanks.The cultures of the Steppes show converging aspects whatever the language and ethnic affiliation; due to environmental adaptation and diverse exchanges? Even art can be exported/imported. RI suppose that for now Pazyryk language - if one only - is unknown. I 'll try to find the book you cited and see if the samples are big enough for statistics. All the way, if correct concerning types/status, this culture could very well be the cradle of future Turks??? The Scythian "empire" could be a mix of I-Eans and others according to time and places???

Thanks.The cultures of the Steppes show converging aspects whatever the language and ethnic affiliation; due to environmental adaptation and diverse exchanges? Even art can be exported/imported. RI suppose that for now Pazyryk language - if one only - is unknown. I 'll try to find the book you cited and see if the samples are big enough for statistics. All the way, if correct concerning types/status, this culture could very well be the cradle of future Turks??? The Scythian "empire" could be a mix of I-Eans and others according to time and places???

I think this is a fitting thread for me to tell you that I've always needed to smoke weed to understand your posts. This isn't a bad thing. I think it's because they're dense.

Of course I don't mean this literally, but for some reason I noticed when I'm blowing through a thread I slow down on your posts. Unless I'm stoned, in which case I appreciate the succinctness.

this looks good to me

http://www.anthrogenica.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10734&d=1470068892

This thread has been viewed 19211 times.

Back