How British are you? Whatever that means...

Athiudisc

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
North Sea Islander
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L45
mtDNA haplogroup
K2b1a
Daily Mail said:
Genetic study reveals Yorkshire is most Anglo-Saxon part of UK, while East Midlands is most Scandinavian

The average Briton is only really 37 per cent British - with the remainder of their genes coming from European ancestors from as far afield as Scandinavia, Spain and Greece.

DNA testing has also revealed how the people of Yorkshire are officially the most British people in the land, with their genetic makeup containing an average 41 per cent Anglo-Saxon stock.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nglo-Saxon-UK-East-Midlands-Scandinavian.html

This is a very odd presentation of whatever the study actually says. They're using "British" to mean "Anglo-Saxon" and "Irish" to (I think) mean Celtic. I have no idea how they differentiated between "Scandinavian" and "Anglo-Saxon," or "Anglo-Saxon" and "German." Wales is more "Anglo-Saxon" than Anglia? What?

Anyone have insight into the actual data from Ancestry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...nglo-Saxon-UK-East-Midlands-Scandinavian.html

This is a very odd presentation of whatever the study actually says. They're using "British" to mean "Anglo-Saxon" and "Irish" to (I think) mean Celtic. I have no idea how they differentiated between "Scandinavian" and "Anglo-Saxon," or "Anglo-Saxon" and "German." Wales is more "Anglo-Saxon" than Anglia? What?

Anyone have insight into the actual data from Ancestry?

Im not sure. According to Ancestrydna, the average Englishman/lass has an average of 60% Britian with some Scandinavian, Germanic, and Irish absorbed into the population. Even though I'm not 100% British, here are my interpretation of my results. Although sometimes on rare occasions an Englishmen could end up with with 0% or 100% Britain depending on their location and/or where Ancestorydna got their sources specifically.

Ancient Civilization: 65% Celtic (43% Brythonic, 21% Gaelic, 1% Celtiberian), 21% (West European) Germanic (13% Anglo-Franko-Swabian, 8% Norseman) 9%East European (West Slavic), 3% Greco-Roman 2%Finland/Nw Russian (Old Prussian)

In my opinion, as long as if predominately all of your Ancestors have been in England for at least 1000 years. Then you can call yourself 100% Englishman.

Depends. 23andMe tells me that I am 57.3% British and Irish, 17.2% French and German, 3.3% Scandinavian while AncestryDNA tells me I'm 45% Europe West, 28% Ireland, 13% Scandinavia and 4% Great Britain. FamilyTreeDNA, rather, will say I am 41% Western and Central European and 36% British Isles and 4% Scandinavian. Gedmatch calcs generally agree that my closest single population is from Southeastern England. I was born and raised in Virginia, of a family proud of its English and Virginian heritage.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 3072 times.

Back