bicicleur 2

Reaction score
it is in Singapoor
but you have to wait in a very long queu

duck, it is my favorite

michelinsg1_22072016_620_348_100.jpeg

the food is served on a plastic dish

Yeah, and what does it look like in the kitchen???!!!:petrified:

Seriously, these three star places are just not worth it for me anymore. More and more I crave the foods with which I grew up.

I'm also plebeian enough to use tripadvisor.com. They're usually pretty good.

I like duck too. :)

I'd trust the kitchen of this particular stall.
I guess control and regulations are much more strict in Singapoor than in other southeast Asian countries.

Many southeast Asians are lactose intolerant, but I suppose they consume other things for which we Europeans are less tolerant.
I've been in China a few times. I must say, a few times I prefered to skip a meal or I just took a few bites out of courtesy.
Often you even don't know what you're eating, and your hosts, they are making fun of you, in Chinese of course.
But I ate very good dried duck there with a nice local cool beer.

I'd trust the kitchen of this particular stall.
I guess control and regulations are much more strict in Singapoor than in other southeast Asian countries.

Many southeast Asians are lactose intolerant, but I suppose they consume other things for which we Europeans are less tolerant.
I've been in China a few times. I must say, a few times I prefered to skip a meal or I just took a few bites out of courtesy.
But I ate very good dried duck there with a nice local cool beer.

I haven't been yet; just another thing on my bucket list. I have some dear friends who have been everywhere; one of the perks of not having children! :) They went to mainland China and hated the food, and while the husband is "white bread" American, the wife liked the Chinese food in Hong Kong a lot, so I don't know why the difference.

I do like Chinese food if it's reasonably authentic, which means you have to go to area "Chinatowns". Get even a few miles away into "white" neighborhoods and they pawn off the most appalling glop on the unsuspecting customers.

I realize this is politically incorrect, but I don't trust the kitchens of the Chinese restaurants even here in the U.S. I don't know if they pay off the inspectors or if they temporarily clean them up after citations and then go back to their old ways, but I would eat in them much more frequently if I weren't worried about the filth back there in the kitchens.

Anyway, when I do overcome the "shkeev" or "yuck" factor, I particularly like the dim sum. I do skip the chicken feet, however.

600_427370142.jpeg

I haven't been yet; just another thing on my bucket list. I have some dear friends who have been everywhere; one of the perks of not having children! :) They went to mainland China and hated the food, and while the husband is "white bread" American, the wife liked the Chinese food in Hong Kong a lot, so I don't know why the difference.

I do like Chinese food if it's reasonably authentic, which means you have to go to area "Chinatowns". Get even a few miles away into "white" neighborhoods and they pawn off the most appalling glop on the unsuspecting customers.

I realize this is politically incorrect, but I don't trust the kitchens of the Chinese restaurants even here in the U.S. I don't know if they pay off the inspectors or if they temporarily clean them up after citations and then go back to their old ways, but I would eat in them much more frequently if I weren't worried about the filth back there in the kitchens.

Anyway, when I do overcome the "shkeev" or "yuck" factor, I particularly like the dim sum. I do skip the chicken feet, however.

600_427370142.jpeg

30 years ago Chinese restaurants didn't exist in Belgium
but there were in Holland, allthough they were not realy Chinese, it was Indonesian food, as Holland did have colonies over there in the past
I liked this Indonesian food, but my preference goes to Vietnamese
There are a lot of Chinese restaurants in Belgium now, and I eat Chinese from time to time.
China is as big as Europe, and there are different cuisines in different regions.
I know in America they serve dim sum, but here it is hard to find.
Oh, and I like sushi and raw fish, but that is Japanese of course.

Chinese kitchen have a bad reputation over here too, but controll is getting more and more strict in Belgium, I don't think those who earn the bad reputation will survive.

30 years ago Chinese restaurants didn't exist in Belgium
but there were in Holland, allthough they were not realy Chinese, it was Indonesian food, as Holland did have colonies over there in the past
I liked this Indonesian food, but my preference goes to Vietnamese
There are a lot of Chinese restaurants in Belgium now, and I eat Chinese from time to time.
China is as big as Europe, and there are different cuisines in different regions.
I know in America they serve dim sum, but here it is hard to find.
Oh, and I like sushi and raw fish, but that is Japanese of course.

Chinese kitchen have a bad reputation over here too, but controll is getting more and more strict in Belgium, I don't think those who earn the bad reputation will survive.

Most of my Italian/Italian relatives won't eat it at all for that reason. Americans are less squeamish.

This is a one Michelin star Chinese place in Hong Kong. It's "I'll Have What Phil's Having:Hong Kong". I absolutely love Phil and I'd love even more to go on a food adventure with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4mrWg5-r0

He passed on the chicken feet, as do I, and his reaction to the 100 year eggs is priceless!
I guess every culture has some foods that are just gross to others. That's how I feel about the maggot cheese from Sardinia, but my father loved it.

Phil didn't have as much fun here as in Tuscany and Barcelona, though, that's I think why he padded the show with a lot of stuff besides food.

I haven't been able to "warm up" to Sushi. It's not really the idea that it's raw, although that bothers me, that is my problem; it's more the texture.

I'm consistent: I don't like Carpaccio either, and I don't eat raw oysters and clams at the raw bars that are so often part of summer buffets. They can't shuck them fast enough to keep up with the demand.

800x800_1414078271133-localrawbar.jpeg.jpg

When I was little my Dad would take me with him to the harbor in La Spezia. He would get these shell fish called "Datteri" or "dates" because they were oval and black, shuck them open with his knife, squeeze lemon juice on them and just slurp them down. I didn't like them then, and I don't like them know. Well, I don't like raw shell fish; I think the Datteri are gone; they ate them all.

I had cat brains at a french restaurant once. The french got it right when it comes to cuisine! The brains were tiny and could fit in the palm of your hand. In terms of texture, they felt kind of like eating an extra thick piece of scrambled egg and tasted like that as well. Oh and since I was young and dumb I made a snark comment about how the pepper shaker resembled..um ...well...you know...part of the male anatomy.

I would love a slice of that maggot cheese. I learned about it from a cracked article. I remember once coming up with a weird recipe when I was younger, which was snake eyes in cheese sauce.

I'm not normal

This thread has been viewed 9073 times.

Back