Genetically modified mosquitoes to be used in fight against the Zika virus

They might go back to using o'l good DDT if it continue spreading.

I know it makes me sound like something of a Luddite that's watched too many horror movies, but I always think that things like this are generally a bad idea.

Life, uh, finds a way...

I know it makes me sound like something of a Luddite that's watched too many horror movies, but I always think that things like this are generally a bad idea.

Life, uh, finds a way...

Well, I guess I'm a Luddite too. Scientists always think they've got all the bases covered...except when they don't.

There were some recent papers about how removing a gene here or there led to some very unforeseen consequences.

There's no stopping it though, so we just have to hope for the best.

The problem with these Genetically modified things is no Laboratory test can determine the long term effect so its always taking a great risk. Example some medication has been removed because while they worked well in the short term they had negative consequences in the long term, but still approved in the first place to be removed later. I don't want to be dramatic but while I am not one for conspiracy theories the HIV virus could still be very much a lab creation that went horribly wrong, no matter how much the pharmaceutical industry screams to the contrary.

how many are affected by Zika in Florida uptill now?
not many I guess

if they want to go ahead with this it would be more logical to first try this in areas where the virus is making more victims, i.e. in Brazil

The problem with these Genetically modified things is no Laboratory test can determine the long term effect so its always taking a great risk. Example some medication has been removed because while they worked well in the short term they had negative consequences in the long term, but still approved in the first place to be removed later. I don't want to be dramatic but while I am not one for conspiracy theories the HIV virus could still be very much a lab creation that went horribly wrong, no matter how much the pharmaceutical industry screams to the contrary.

we've allready modified virusses genetically by selection by using to many antibiotics
it creates virusses which are immune for antibiotics

we've allready modified virusses genetically by selection by using to many antibiotics

This will lead to incredible tragedy within our lifetimes. We had, essentially, a medical miracle, and we've pissed it away through idiocy.

Anti biotics are also a good example. Although they have and are still working pretty well in most cases on many types of infections, but infectious bacteria is becoming more and more resistant to them, mainly from over use and being overly prescribed. This is something that could not be foreseen in a normal lab test or short trials. Like arvistro pointed out they have no effect on Viruses but I know what you mean. There has to be other ways to prevent infectious bacterial illnesses that have been known to be fatal through out history, and we have taken for granted so far, after the miracle cures. I do not rule out completely that the HIV viurs could have well been a modified virus. Its origins also has a kind of obscure origin.

Since Reagan became US President the right-wing theology had taken hold. Cost cutting, austerity, running governments like businesses, etc. Many local governments in charge of health in order to cut costs outsourced hospital cleaning to contractors. Contractors who won the lowest-bid contracts made their profits by diluting the strength of disinfectants and detergents thus bacteris left over from the "cleaning" survived in a less germ-killing environment, proliferated and developed resistance. So our hospitals in BC have a very real problem of resistant bacteria after our provincial government switched to contractors doing hospital cleaning. Indian hospitals too have this reistant germs problem as I lived in India and know how some Indians operate.

Since Reagan became US President the right-wing theology had taken hold. Cost cutting, austerity, running governments like businesses, etc. Many local governments in charge of health in order to cut costs outsourced hospital cleaning to contractors. Contractors who won the lowest-bid contracts made their profits by diluting the strength of disinfectants and detergents thus bacteris left over from the "cleaning" survived in a less germ-killing environment, proliferated and developed resistance. So our hospitals in BC have a very real problem of resistant bacteria after our provincial government switched to contractors doing hospital cleaning. Indian hospitals too have this reistant germs problem as I lived in India and know how some Indians operate.

Do you get all of your opinions from places like Media Matters and The Daily Beast?

I wasn't born yesterday. I lived thru Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush and now Obama and who knows next. I don't references. I have seen the changes since Reagan and they are not nice. I even know about Ayn Rand who writes about her heroines being raped by her heroes.

This thread has been viewed 5267 times.

Back