Elaborately tattooed 3300 year old Egyptian mummy

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/egypt-archaeology-mummy-tattoo-1.3730337

Apparently, up till now it was thought the only tattooing that the Egyptians did was simple dots and lines, perhaps as medicinal magic, as Oetzi had, and that the "decorated" priestesses in the tomb paintings had been painted. Well, I guess not.

"The markings are the first on a mummy from dynastic Egypt to show actual objects, including lotus blossoms on the mummy's hips and cows on her arm, the scientific journal Nature reported."

"According to Gobeil, about a dozen other mummies have been found with tattoos of simple shapes, usually around the belly, which would be thought to offer magical protection during pregnancy.None of those more common tattoos appear on this mummy. More than 30 images of animals appear on the torso and arms.

The researchers believe the mummy is of a woman between the ages of 24 and 35 years old who may have been a priestess to the Egyptian goddess Hathor."

egyptian-mummy-tattoos-01-neck-2.jpg

Even had it been popular when I was younger, I doubt I would have gotten any tattoos. What if you get sick of it, and what happens with age? What's it going to look like in 20 years? Didn't Angelina Jolie get some removed that were related to prior boyfriends. I think it takes dozens and dozens of visits just to get rid of a small area. Plus, it hurts.

I always recommend that people avoid tattoos for anything short of religious reasons. Definitely no boyfriend/girlfriend or pop culture work.

It does hurt, but the endorphin high is wonderful. Especially if you're doing it ceremonially.

This thread has been viewed 2249 times.

Back