Irrigated olive trees in Israel 7000 years ago

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Anyone remember the date for irrigation in the Tigris Eurphrates upland?

See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/4800-160830-israel-olive-irrigation

"The Jerusalem Post reports that archaeologists led by researchers from the University of Haifa and the German Archaeological Institute have recovered a large number of 7,000-year-old olive pits in northern Israel. The early famers in the Tel Beit She’an Valley also grew wheat, barley, buckwheat, lentils, and peas, and they raised goats, sheep, cattle, and pigs. But the olive trees may have required an artificial irrigation system. “The existence of an ancient agricultural system that relies on artificial irrigation will require a significant change in how we perceive their agricultural sophistication,” said project leader Daniel Rosenberg. "

I'd say pretty sophisticated indeed. This is the Jordan Valley, by the way.

They also had the makings of a good, varied, and healthy cuisine when you add in fruits and herbs.

For general interest, the cultivated olive tree takes 5 years to produce, and can live over 500 years. It can endure neglect and periods of harsh weather. In my opinion, it is a great sin to destroy an olive grove - a lesser sin to destroy just one. No compelling reason to think so, but there it is. Link to olive life span, etc.:

http://www.gardenguides.com/131312-olive-trees-life-cycle.html

I totally agree with you. Olive trees were sacred for a reason. Think how important they were, and not just for as food. The oil was used for lamps, as medicine, and as cosmetic agent as well. It's particularly wonderful for damaged hair and for skin care. They used the leaves, the branches for fodder, the wood for furniture and utensils, everything.

Playing underneath them and "helping" to harvest them form some of my oldest memories.

DSC02610.jpg

Podere-del-Poggio-30.jpg

The lucky ones who have trees can still get it processed locally, thank goodness. It's only enough for their own consumption really, but it's wonderful to still be able to do it. Great to be able to make your own wine as well.

This is the real Italian olive oil and garlic bread. :) It's actually called fettunta.
fettunta-cavolo-nero05.jpg

I have to stop; I'm so homesick I could die. :(

Ugliest tree ever! I just googled "olive tree " bc I had no idea what an olive tree looks like until now...lol. Also, thanks to this thread, I now know that olives grow on trees! I've always assumed that they grow from the ground or something.... Lol

Ugliest tree ever! I just googled "olive tree " bc I had no idea what an olive tree looks like until now...lol. Also, thanks to this thread, I now know that olives grow on trees! I've always assumed that they grow from the ground or something.... Lol
Google olive harvest to be even more amused. It is like beating a tree to submission, lol.

Google olive harvest to be even more amused. It is like beating a tree to submission, lol.

I will after I clean my sweaty butt of after a tough workout. The endorphins will only enhance the roflecopterz and lulz

I would speculate that beating an olive tree is a way to exorcise the demon that is possessing it, but unfortunately this methodology doesn't seem all that effective :p. They remind me of those creepy Halloween trees where you would typically see an owl perched on one of its branches, spider webs, and skeletons with nooses tied around their necks.

This thread has been viewed 4049 times.

Back