23andme gave me I1, what now?

Ricao

Reaction score
My apologies if there is an answer out there for this.

I got my 23andme results back and they gave me I1, I know 23andme isn't meant for deep subclades but I was wondering whether there is a way to conclude what subclade of I1 I might be?

Now you grab a war ax, construct a wooden boat, and go marauding.

My apologies if there is an answer out there for this.

I got my 23andme results back and they gave me I1, I know 23andme isn't meant for deep subclades but I was wondering whether there is a way to conclude what subclade of I1 I might be?

what's your surname? Your surname and the origin can give you a clue of where your Ydna came from but I1a specifically was absorbed by the Germanic and the I1b Clade was absorbed by the alpine mountaineers. However your Ydna doesn't represent your whole ancestry but your surname at best. Unfortunately there is no way in getting a deep subclade test without going to another DNA testing company

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I1_Y-DNA.shtml

There is some small data manipulation that you can do, although it's not guaranteed to give you a subclade. Like you, I tested with 23andme and it gave me back I1. You can download your Y-DNA raw data from 23andme and then plug it into one of the genetic genealogy tools on y-str.org to analyze which SNP that 23andme tested. From the same page, you can get a add-on for the ISOGG. I followed the blog post from Kitty Cooper's site and it worked for me. I tried to post a link but Eupedia blocked me because I haven't posted enough yet. Google for a website with tools and other analysis.
It didn't reveal a subclade, but it showed I tested negative for M227 and L22 SNP.
Planning to do more in depth Y testing at FTDNA when they have their next sale on (based on the web over the last two years, November seems likely).

23andme gave me I1, what now?

Now you know, that you are not an IE, so you can;t be a member of AB, KKK, or WASPs...
037.gif

This thread has been viewed 4275 times.

Back