R1a_Germany_Austria.png

The highest frequency is in area between:

- Chemnitz in Saxony (ca. 40%),
- Dessau in Saxony-Anhalt (ca. 43%)
- Brandenburg an der Havel (ca. 50%),
- Lusatia (ethnic Sorbs: ca. 65%)

In Austria: Graz in Styria (ca. 43%)

Last edited:
Nice map. How did you make it? Where in Germany have Slavs settled? Sorb Slavs reside in Germany?

Frequencies of R1a in Chemnitz, Dessau and Brandenburg are interesting, such as "structure" of R1a from these cities (How much M458? How much L260? How much YP256/YP254?).

Nice map. How did you make it?

I used mostly GIMP (as well as screenshots from Google Maps). And genetic data of course.

Sorb Slavs reside in Germany?

Yes Sorbs reside in South-Eastern Germany, close to present-day Polish and Czech borders.

Where in Germany have Slavs settled?

R1a in Germany & Austria, compared to areas of Early Medieval Slavic settlement:

6enpso.jpg

Percent of R1a correlates with % of Slavic toponyms on a local scale (for example in the region of Greifswald there is a scarcity of Slavic toponyms - only 11,88% Slavic vs. 88,12% Germanic toponyms - and 19,2% of R1a; by contrast in the region of Rostock there is a large percent of Slavic toponyms - including Rostock itself - and % of R1a is nearly 2 times higher than in Greifswald - 32,4%).

Is this Sarmatian R1a marker seen in the Scythian populace or just Sarmatian tribes ?

I know the Goths absorbed the sarmatian into their society from about 150AD onwards

It's amazing: even after a thousand years, the legacy of the region is visible.

Here is my map of frequency of haplogroup R1a in Germany:

(black dots = places where samples of people come from):

https://s13.postimg.io/7p2j8pnat/R1a_Germany_Austria.png

R1a_Germany_Austria.png

The highest frequency is in area between:

- Chemnitz in Saxony (ca. 40%),
- Dessau in Saxony-Anhalt (ca. 43%)
- Brandenburg an der Havel (ca. 50%),
- Lusatia (ethnic Sorbs: ca. 65%)

In Austria: Graz in Styria (ca. 43%)

Interesting how Czechs expelled 4 million Germans from their native lands, and Germany is not even mentioning it. What"s crazy they are investing their money there under the banner of EU and Slavs are getting rich with German money. I can't comprehend this. May be its me not enough brain power to comprehend.!

I am new to this website - no knowledge of the process - so forgive my confusion. I found this thread based on recent DNA testing and family history search. My family history traces to lower Saxony or western Bavaria from the 1700's. I don't have access to European records at present. However, my DNA test shows focus on both maternal and paternal histories of that exact location. If my historical trace on both sides lead directly to the area where my family history arises, I begin to think that my genetic heritage is closely related to the paternal haplogroup R1a andf maternal haplogroup U5b1. Both focus on that precise area of central europe. Tracing prior markers, the path appears to led out of Africa through the middle east to the Caucasus mountains and then westerly into Europe and central Germany. So who can help me follow me follow civil records further back in time?

Thank you for helping me retrace from Indiana in the USA.

Steve

Dear Steve!

I think you need more precise haplogroup definition inside the R1a-M458. Just see the R1a haplotree....

Dear Tomenable!

I have a question. When you made the map you calculated with the L664 branch?

This thread has been viewed 13009 times.

Back