Male pattern baldness and genetic prediction

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:

http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/08/30/072306

"AbstractMale pattern baldness can have substantial psychosocial effects, and it has beenphenotypically linked to adverse health outcomes such as prostate cancer and cardiovasculardisease. We explored the genetic architecture of the trait using data from over 52,000 maleparticipants of UK Biobank, aged 40-69 years. We identified over 250 independent novelgenetic loci associated with severe hair loss. By developing a prediction algorithm basedentirely on common genetic variants, and applying it to an independent sample, we coulddiscriminate accurately (AUC = 0.82) between those with no hair loss from those with severehair loss. The results of this study might help identify those at the greatest risk of hair lossand also potential genetic targets for intervention."

That's some predictability rate.

Wow, we are getting much better in identifying relevant genes. 250 genes and their variations found in case of boldness!

Bald men should be careful when using hair fiber tips. They are not water resistant and aren’t waterproof. Giuliani discovered this in the worst possible way.

I know a lot of men who lose their hair get crazed about it, but it very much depends on the man. Men can still be very attractive even with a receding hairline.

Look at Tom Hiddleston. I think it's part of what makes him so handsome.
Tom-Hiddleston-bio-450x600.jpg

My mother always thought Pierre Trudeau was very handsome, and I agree; quite a Napoleonic or maybe even ancient Roman look to him.

pierre-elliott-trudeau.jpg

Or I like it because my father and most of my male relatives on both sides had those kind of foreheads.:)

if I don’t wear a hat around people, I put Purell on my hair later on (gel hand sanitizer), ... I’ll let you know if I go bald, lol :)

This thread has been viewed 9159 times.

Back