Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
A paper with ca. 80 samples of aDNA from the East Baltic region, ranging from the Mesolithic to the Iron Age, will be published soon. Also another publication with aDNA from Pre-Migration Period and Post-Migration Period Poland is almost ready to get published.

Feel free to speculate on Y-DNA haplogroups and other stuff. :wary2:

A paper with ca. 80 samples of aDNA from the East Baltic region, ranging from the Mesolithic to the Iron Age, will be published soon. Also another publication with aDNA from Pre-Migration Period and Post-Migration Period Poland is almost ready to get published.

Feel free to speculate on Y-DNA haplogroups and other stuff. :wary2:

It will connect N1c to the Uralic arrival to the region and confirm their control of the long distance trade in the waterways to the East from the Baltic Sea.

SNP-N-TREE-FIN.jpg

20120210-440px-Warrior_of_Scithians.png

Attachments

• fc1b6626ff57680f112c2225e72ea044.jpg
    fc1b6626ff57680f112c2225e72ea044.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 36
It will connect N1c to the Uralic arrival to the region and confirm their control of the long distance trade in the waterways to the East from the Baltic Sea.

SNP-N-TREE-FIN.jpg

View attachment 8075

Very handy and informative tree ....................do they do other haplogroups?

Pre-migration Poles will be close to post-migration Poles.
Balts would be closer to pre-migration Poles than to post-migration Poles.

Wont speculate on East Baltics dna.

Pre-migration- which cultures?

interesting, this is unchartered territory
do you have somelinks to the 3 papers to be published?

I won't speculate, I even don't know the history of the Polish migration period.
I'll await the papers.

About when will the paper be published?

That's not entirely on topic but I personally believe that the Rus were Finnic. Even if they weren't, most natives were Finnic, namely the Chuds, the Merians, the Krivichs (mentioned in Primary Chronicle) and the Slavs were farmers.

This must be really interesting, I'd like to see aDNA from Ural region too.

That ought to be interesting. I am especially interested in the Y-DNA in Finland and the Baltic countries before the Corded Ware (R1a1a1 + R1b1b2) and the Comb Ceramic (N1c1). Did Neolithic farmers get there at all? If not, what haplogroups did the Mesolithic population carry? I*, I1, I2, R1a*, Q1a? Other extinct lineages like R* or R1*? Their aDNA should be overwhelmingly Northeast European with a bit of Siberian or Amerindian-like (related to Q1a), so probably unsurprising.

That ought to be interesting. I am especially interested in the Y-DNA in Finland and the Baltic countries before the Corded Ware (R1a1a1 + R1b1b2) and the Comb Ceramic (N1c1). Did Neolithic farmers get there at all? If not, what haplogroups did the Mesolithic population carry? I*, I1, I2, R1a*, Q1a? Other extinct lineages like R* or R1*? Their aDNA should be overwhelmingly Northeast European with a bit of Siberian or Amerindian-like (related to Q1a), so probably unsurprising.

we know the Karelia HG were R1a1a and some J, that was before neolithic
we also have R1a1a in the 'Bajkal early neolithic' (which were HG)

I guess both R1a1a and N1c1 spread over northern Europe and southern Siberia, but R1a1a spread from the Caucasus while N1c1 came from Manchuria

hahah frodos expression is literally mine right now haha. Nice one Tomenable, ill be more patient then

i think the older samples in poland will also have an elevated level of N1c, ive long thought that Poland though mostly slavic on the paternal side has siginificant ancestry from baltic populations on the maternal side. lets see if this will be reflected in old y dna samples in poland.

I think those living in the Southern Eastern Baltic before Corded Ware will be a variety of Hunter Gatherers without farmer input, though already from Neolithic times. According to new research it is debatable if there were any farming before Corded Ware.

In as much as I read now, interesting mesolithic sites near the Baltic Sea are under the water now. Only circa 4000 bc the water level approached the modern level.

Inasmuch as I remember from school times, northern hunter gatherers from Šventoji (near the current Lithuanian-Latvian border) were from Narva culture, they were extensively into seal hunting, and ate a lot of fresh water fish. They or at least some had features similar to mongoloids. They thought to be the connection to N1c1 but let's see if that is really so.

Before them there were different hunter gatherers who strangely had no pottery, and made a lot of tools from red rein deer antlers.

In Southern Parts of Lithuania hunter gatherers of Neman culture lived. They had their tools made of flint, lived in small settlements, also ate a lot of fresh water fish and buried their dead with red ochre. Their faces were European like (meaning not mongoloid). We did not have their Y-DNA tested, but it could be something like C, or I2* ?

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 7561 times.

Back