New map of Y-haplogroup J2b1 (M205)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I already made a map of J2b three years ago. Upon someone's request I have created this map of J2b1 based on the available data. Unfortunately there is very little data at the moment for J2b1 outside the Balkans and some parts of Italy. Most areas in grey actually have no data rather than <0.5%. If you have more information, I will of course update the map accordingly.

J2b1's TMRCA is 5500 ybp according to Yfull, and many common subclades in the Balkans are much younger than that - only about 1000 years old. We now know thanks to Broushaki et al. 2016 that J2b originated in Neolithic Iran, and indeed J2b1 is particularly common today in Iran (2 to 5%) and is also found in Armenia, the Levant, Pakistan and India. This suggests that J2b1 has its roots around Iran, and arrived quite late to Europe, probably with some of the numerous peoples who invaded the Balkans from the Steppe, such as the Avars, Bulgars, Magyars, Khazars and other potential -ars. The presence of J2b1 around the Volga-Ural only strengthen this assumption.

The J2b1 in Greece, western Turkey, Italy, Mediterranean Spain and Libya more likely all spread from Greece. The highest frequency recorded so far is among Greek Cypriots (5.5%). It would have arrived with other J2 subclades straight from the South Caucasus or Levant. The question is when, since J2 was not brought by Neolithic farmers. The most likely time frame is the Late Bronze Age or Iron Age.

Haplogroup-J2b1.png

Last edited:
I doubt that is from late steppe arrival considering that is present in western Anatolia,place never settled by those groups,in fact should be higher like in Pannonia(Hungary) for example where Avar base was or "Bulgar's" Bulgaria,also is that island Cyprus that green?Anyway thanks for the map.

I already made a map of J2b three years ago. Upon someone's request I have created this map of J2b1 based on the available data. Unfortunately there is very little data at the moment for J2b1 outside the Balkans and some parts of Italy. Most areas in grey actually have no data rather than <0.5%. If you have more information, I will of course update the map accordingly.

J2b1's TMRCA is 5500 ybp according to Yfull, and many common subclades in the Balkans are much younger than that - only about 1000 years old. We now know thanks to Broushaki et al. 2016 that J2b originated in Neolithic Iran, and indeed J2b1 is particularly common today in Iran (2 to 5%) and is also found in Armenia, the Levant, Pakistan and India. This suggests that J2b1 has its roots around Iran, and arrived quite late to Europe, probably with some of the numerous peoples who invaded the Balkans from the Steppe, such as the Avars, Bulgars, Magyars, Khazars and other potential -ars. The presence of J2b1 around the Volga-Ural only strengthen this assumption.

The J2b1 in Greece, western Turkey, Italy, Mediterranean Spain and Libya more likely all spread from Greece. The highest frequency recorded so far is among Greek Cypriots (5.5%). It would have arrived with other J2 subclades straight from the South Caucasus or Levant. The question is when, since J2 was not brought by Neolithic farmers. The most likely time frame is the Late Bronze Age or Iron Age.

Haplogroup-J2b1.png

Interesting, it appears that J2b1 shares some borders with national borders rendering the Ydna's expansion astonishly young and shares modern borders and rough Antiquity borders as well. Not sure what to make of this. You can see at least some Greek Colonies in Turkey and maybe Italy and SE Spain. You get a rough sketch of the Armenian Kingdom. A Rough border of Yugoslavia + Western Romania. J2b1 shares a border with Northern and Eastern Israel and as far as the Middle East is concerned J2b1 is amplified in the Nation of Iran.
Since there is a common ancestry dating to 5500 ybp, there must be a common source for J2b1 in Bronze Age antiquity.

Historical borders

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania#/media/File:Mihai_1600.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenia#/media/File:Armenian_Empire.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonies_in_antiquity#/media/File:Ancient_colonies.PNG

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavia

This has got to be one of the most puzzling distributions ever.

Looking at the Balkans, I automatically thought of Sclavenes and whoever joined them. U can still justify the possibility of the later Slavs migrating to Italy, but its percentage it's just too high (even higher than in Albania). And how the hell did it get to Spain?

IMO it's got to be the Visigoths judging by the way it's distributed in Italy and Spain after being picked up somewhere in Eastern Europe and/or the Balkans.

First of all, thanks for map, Maciamo.

As we talk about haplogroup J2b-M205, I must say that I belong to this haplogroup and with few friends and Y-DNA cousins I tried to found more about this mysterious lineage. We investigate this haplogroup from 2013. and I think that we are most competent to talk about it.

For what we know today, haplogroup J2b-M205 probably originated from Fertile Crescent.
My opinion (based on ancient DNA, many research and haplogroup diversity) is that majority of J2b-M205 spread across the Europe with Greeks, Phoenicians and later with Roman/Byzantine colonization and troops from the Middle East.

I don't agree at all with Maciamo theory about steppe origin of "Balkanic branch" of J2b-M205. We can't just look on the map and create theory in our head based on one spot in Russia, we need further research.

"Balkanic branch" except on Balkans, have full or closest matches in Mediterranean area (Lebanon, Anatolia, Sicily, Emilia-Romagna, Catalonia).
Most typicall J2b-M205 population on Balkans are Serbs, who have at least two areas from where they spread across ex-Yugoslavia after Ottoman expansion:
1) Kričak region (northwestern Montenegro, around Pljevlja)
2) Šopluk region (border area of Serbia, Bulgaria and FYROM)

We have very intersting story about first region.
In Middle Ages that area was populated by members of Kriči tribe and according to historical sources and oral tradition, they have pre-Slavic origin (Thraco-Illyrian/Roman/Vlach amalgam). We can follow Kriči tribe in historical sources from middle of XIII century. There are few members of Kriči tribe that was tested and all of them belong to J2b-M205 haplogroup and "Balkanic branch". Intersting story is that Kriči tribe (J2b-M205) have many clashes with Drobnjaci tribe (I1-P109), and after defeat, big parts of Kriči tribe migrated to Bosnia and Military Frontier region (today we have few villages in Croatia and Bosnia with Kriči name and also we have big number of Croatian and Bosnian Serbs who belong to haplogroup J2b-M205).
Second region is not less important. We know from historical sources and oral tradition that in this area we have bigger number of pre-Slavic population then in other parts of northern Balkans. Majority of J2b-M205 from southeastern Serbia, Bulgaria and FYROM originated from this region.

Unfortunately, I can't post any links here, so if you guys are interested in this haplogroup, I can open thread about it. Also, you can join our facebook group ("J2b-M205").

Where are the sources?

Here are the main sources:

- Uniparental Markers in Italy Reveal a Sex-Biased Genetic Structure and Different Historical Strata
- High levels of Paleolithic Y-chromosome lineages characterize Serbia
- Y chromosome STR polymorphisms in a Serbian population sample
- Human Y-chromosome short tandem repeats: a tale of acculturation and migrations as mechanisms for the diffusion of agriculture in the Balkan Peninsula
- Y-chromosomal evidence of the cultural diffusion of agriculture in southeast Europe
- Allele frequencies and population data for 17 Y-chromosome STR loci in a Serbian population sample from Vojvodina province
- Croatian national reference Y-STR haplotype database
- Y-Chromosome Diversity in Modern Bulgarians: New Clues about Their Ancestry
- Population genetics of 17 Y-STR markers in Turkish Cypriots from Cyprus
- Turkish Cypriot paternal lineages bear an autochthonous character and closest resemblance to those from neighbouring Near Eastern populations
- Y-chromosome phylogeographic analysis of the Greek-Cypriot population reveals elements consistent with Neolithic and Bronze Age settlements
- A global analysis of Y-chromosomal haplotype diversity for 23 STR loci
- Population genetics of 8 Y chromosome STR loci in Macedonians and Macedonian Romani
- Genetic sub-structure in western Mediterranean populations revealed by 12 Y-chromosome STR loci
- Population genetics of Y-chromosome STRs in a population of Northern Greeks
- Differential Y-chromosome Anatolian Influences on the Greek and Cretan Neolithic
-The coming of the Greeks to Provence and Corsica: Y-chromosome models of archaic Greek colonization of the western Mediterranean
- The Greeks in the West: genetic signatures of the Hellenic colonisation in southern Italy and Sicily
- Y-STR variation in Albanian populations: implications on the match probabilities and the genetic legacy of the minority claiming an Egyptian descent
- Assembly of a large Y-STR haplotype database for the Czech population and investigation of its substructure
- Analysis of Y chromosome STR haplotypes in the European part of Russia reveals high diversities but non-significant genetic distances between populations
-H aplotype data and mutation rates for the 23 Y-STR loci of PowerPlex® Y 23 System in a Northeast Italian population sampleNeolithic patrilineal signals indicate that the Armenian plateau was repopulated by agriculturalists
- Y-chromosome STR haplotype in Szekely population
- Geographical structure of the Y-chromosomal genetic landscape of the Levant: a coastal-inland contrast

Last edited:
5.9% of Armenians from Iran are J2b1. Grugni et al.
Iran Armenians are mostly from Nakhichevan.

As we talk about haplogroup J2b-M205, I must say that I belong to this haplogroup and with few friends and Y-DNA cousins I tried to found more about this mysterious lineage. We investigate this haplogroup from 2013. and I think that we are most competent to talk about it.

For what we know today, haplogroup J2b-M205 probably originated from Fertile Crescent.
My opinion (based on ancient DNA, many research and haplogroup diversity) is that majority of J2b-M205 spread across the Europe with Greeks, Phoenicians and later with Roman/Byzantine colonization and troops from the Middle East.

I don't agree at all with Maciamo theory about steppe origin of "Balkanic branch" of J2b-M205. We can't just look on the map and create theory in our head based on one spot in Russia, we need further research.

"Balkanic branch" except on Balkans, have full or closest matches in Mediterranean area (Lebanon, Anatolia, Sicily, Emilia-Romagna, Catalonia).
Most typicall J2b-M205 population on Balkans are Serbs, who have at least two areas from where they spread across ex-Yugoslavia after Ottoman expansion:

In Middle Ages that area was populated by members of Kriči tribe and according to historical sources and oral tradition, they have pre-Slavic origin (Thraco-Illyrian/Roman/Vlach amalgam). We can follow Kriči tribe in historical sources from middle of XIII century. There are few members of Kriči tribe that was tested and all of them belong to J2b-M205 haplogroup and "Balkanic branch". Intersting story is that Kriči tribe (J2b-M205) have many clashes with Drobnjaci tribe (I1-P109), and after defeat, big parts of Kriči tribe migrated to Bosnia and Military Frontier region (today we have few villages in Croatia and Bosnia with Kriči name and also we have big number of Croatian and Bosnian Serbs who belong to haplogroup J2b-M205).
Second region is not less important. We know from historical sources and oral tradition that in this area we have bigger number of pre-Slavic population then in other parts of northern Balkans. Majority of J2b-M205 from southeastern Serbia, Bulgaria and FYROM originated from this region.

Unfortunately, I can't post any links here, so if you guys are interested in this haplogroup, I can open thread about it. Also, you can join our facebook group ("J2b-M205").
Welcome to Eupedia Frointier1768, yes please I'd love to get a fresh perspective of this Haplogroup J2b-M205. Although since the Krici tribe are from an era as late as the Middle Ages, I gotta wonder. How many Krici tribal members from the Middle Ages have you Ydna tested? The Pre-Slavic people; according to current genetic studies during the Bronze Age were Ydna E-V13, I2a and G2a with incoming R1a and R1b tribes infiltrating the area. On the other hand the Pre-Italic Terramare Culture was Ydna E-V13, J2b, G2a and I2a with a huge wave of R1b-U152 coming in a little later. If the Krici tribe were from the Middle Ages, I would expect them to be of more than one Haplogroup and the tribe would assimilate some Haplogroups; different from J2b-M205. A direct Decent from the Fertile Cresent would render J2b-M205 from either Mesopotamia or Anatolia.​

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/neolithic_europe_map.shtml#middle_bronze_age

Its of Iranian origin! There is archaeological proof that Persians (Iranians) have been present in the territory of Greece long before the written history existed. One such evidence is Mycenaean civilization. That civilization had an alphabet that researchers have closely linked with Persian alphabet. So its very much possible the early inhabitants of Mycenae where Persians (j2b1) which they later spread through the region.

Actually, we have a J2 in Sopot and Lengyel at the transition from middle to late Neolithic.

We don't know the subclade, but those results do indicate that some form of J2 had indeed arrived in Europe during the Neolithic. My hunch, and that's all it is, would be that it's J2b, not J2a.

We discussed it here:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...ate-neolithic-Hungary-(Sopot-Lengyel-Culture)

There's an interesting discussion here, which addresses the theory that there was a second wave of the Neolithic from Anatolia which might have brought these new lineages.
http://dispatchesfromturtleisland.blogspot.com/2015/06/ancient-dna-from-carpathian-basin-5700.html

I think there's something to it.

But they did separate J2b1 from J2b2, so the data is unless for this map.
Ah sorry, anyway it will be good for other maps i think.

Welcome to Eupedia Frointier1768, yes please I'd love to get a fresh perspective of this Haplogroup J2b-M205. Although since the Krici tribe are from an era as late as the Middle Ages, I gotta wonder. How many Krici tribal members from the Middle Ages have you Ydna tested? The Pre-Slavic people; according to current genetic studies during the Bronze Age were Ydna E-V13, I2a and G2a with incoming R1a and R1b tribes infiltrating the area. On the other hand the Pre-Italic Terramare Culture was Ydna E-V13, J2b, G2a and I2a with a huge wave of R1b-U152 coming in a little later. If the Krici tribe were from the Middle Ages, I would expect them to be of more than one Haplogroup and the tribe would assimilate some Haplogroups; different from J2b-M205. A direct Decent from the Fertile Cresent would render J2b-M205 from either Mesopotamia or Anatolia.​

Thanks, Twilight.
I'm glad that other people, who don't belong to our haplogroup, shows interest about it.

We tested few guys from Kriči tribal area (Kričak, northwestern Montenegro) and few guys who have oral tradition about origin from Kriči tribe (one of them has surname Krička and he originated from Kričke village in Dalmatia, and according to tradition that village was founded by refugees from Kriči tribal area).

Biggest problem about Kriči tribe is that they were first overrun by Drobnjaci tribe (I1-P109), after that Ottomans conquered that area, and today they not exist as organized tribe, so we must look for families who have oral tradition about origin from them, families from their ex-tribal area, families with similar surnames (Kričak, Krička, Kričkić, Kričković).

Actually, we have a J2 in Sopot and Lengyel at the transition from middle to late Neolithic.

We don't know the subclade, but those results do indicate that some form of J2 had indeed arrived in Europe during the Neolithic. My hunch, and that's all it is, would be that it's J2b, not J2a.

Yes, we have J2 in Langyel and Sopot cultures.
I think that I read somewhere that both of these are J2a, but I'm not sure.

When we talking about ancient DNA, we have 2 confirmed J2b-M205 (Jordan, Early Bronze Age; England, Roman period).

We discussed it here:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...ate-neolithic-Hungary-(Sopot-Lengyel-Culture)

There's an interesting discussion here, which addresses the theory that there was a second wave of the Neolithic from Anatolia which might have brought these new lineages.
http://dispatchesfromturtleisland.blogspot.com/2015/06/ancient-dna-from-carpathian-basin-5700.html

I think there's something to it.

I know, but that's a single J2 among hundreds of non-J2 Neolithic lineages. There was also a J2a in Barcın, who IMO was an Anatolian Mesolithic HG assimilated by Neolithic farmers, considering the low J2 frequency overall among Neolithic farmers in Europe, Anatolia and the Levant.

There was also a J2b sample from Pre-Pottery Neolithic Iran, and that points at a more eastern origin for J2b. I had already mentioned in several threads and on the J2 page for the last 3 years that J2b2 moved to the Steppe and integrated PIE society before the PIE migrations, as J2b2 has a distribution paralleling those of R1a1a and R1b-M269. I have now been able to determine that J2b2 moved across the Caucasus and went to the Volga-Ural region during the Neolithic, possibly bringing along some mt-haplogroups J1c, T2 and W (e.g. W3 and W6). As a minor lineage within the R1a-Z93 dominant populations, it would have expanded from the Volga-Ural region to Central and South Asia with the Indo-Aryan invasions. Nowadays, J2b2 is very common in the Volga-Ural region, but also at low frequencies all over Central and South Asia, the Middle East, as well as East and Central Europe, just like Y-haplogroup R1a.

Yes, we have J2 in Langyel and Sopot cultures.
I think that I read somewhere that both of these are J2a, but I'm not sure.

When we talking about ancient DNA, we have 2 confirmed J2b-M205 (Jordan, Early Bronze Age; England, Roman period).

It's not 'these'. There is only one J2 in Sopot (which is a pre-Lengyel culture). I am not aware of any J2 in Lengyel itself. Let's also note that this J2 sample was part of a doctoral thesis, and that the only other Y-DNA reported was E-M78. I find it somewhat surprising that the only two Neolithic Y-haplogroups from this student thesis happen to be two haplogroups that haven't been found by any 'professional' study among one hundred Neolithic Y-DNA samples. Modern contamination cannot be ruled out.

The J2b in Roman Britain was autosomally from the south Levant, so related to the Bronze Age Jordan sample.

That part didn't exist in the original post and also the map was different (especially in Italy) because the creator of the map wanted to present the haplogroup as 'Avar', 'Bulgar' etc

This thread has been viewed 47204 times.

Back