University of Sydney offers full genome test for only $150

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Someone posted this on the Eupedia Genetic Research Group on Facebook.

The site is called Genomix and is apparently run by the University of Sydney in Australia. It is part of a life extension project.

They will sequence the whole genome (3 billion base pairs) at a 30x coverage, which is excellent (better than most testing companies). The raw data will be available for download to use on third-party services. The kit won't be delivered until end of 2017 though.

The price is a mere AUD $200 (135€ or USD $150). Sounds like a good opportunity considering that most whole genomes test costs around USD $1000 to $2000. But I tend to be wary of 'too good to be true offers'. Can anyone think of any drawback?

end 2017 ...
maybe the university of Sydney is working on a project to further automatise full genome sequencing, and they are quite confident that it will work ?

How much better is this than 23andme or FTDNA?

How much better is this than 23andme or FTDNA?

23andMe only tests about 1 million base pairs, against 3 billions here, so 3000x more. It's the whole genome. No further test needed. It also includes the full Y chromsome (like BigY at FTDNA).

23andMe only tests about 1 million base pairs, against 3 billions here, so 3000x more. It's the whole genome. No further test needed. It also includes the full Y chromsome (like BigY at FTDNA).

I suppose you'll get some file in some format of your whole genome.
But then you have to check the file for SNP's or genes.
How do you do that?
Is there free software available, so you can do it yourself?
Or do you have to turn to some company who offers the service?

Thank you Maciamo for posting, I'll see what the reviews are before getting tested myself. ^_^

Great, thanks for this, I have registered my interest.

As has already been stated it seems too good to be true. But if it is true it removes the market for all the other options, unless the prices fall massively elsewhere. which is good for all of us enthusiasts.

However I am too mean to part with money with so little to go on so I settled for subscribing to their news, and I look forward to too many mailings.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this before ordering LivingDNA. If this is true then I will also save up for this new test from U-Sydney.

This thread has been viewed 7749 times.

Back