Melanasians carry DNA of unknown extinct hominid (not Denisovan)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Science News: DNA data offer evidence of unknown extinct human relative

"People from Melanesia, a region in the South Pacific encompassing Papua New Guinea and surrounding islands, may carry genetic evidence of a previously unknown extinct hominid species, Ryan Bohlender reported October 20 at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics. That species is probably not Neandertal or Denisovan, but a different, related hominid group, said Bohlender, a statistical geneticist at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. “We’re missing a population or we’re misunderstanding something about the relationships,” he said.

This mysterious relative was probably from a third branch of the hominid family tree that produced Neandertals and Denisovans, an extinct distant cousin of Neandertals. While many Neandertal fossils have been found in Europe and Asia, Denisovans are known only from DNA from a finger bone and a couple of teeth found in a Siberian cave (SN: 12/12/15, p. 14).

Bohlender isn’t the first to suggest that remnants of archaic human relatives may have been preserved in human DNA even though no fossil remains have been found. In 2012, another group of researchers suggested that some people in Africa carry DNA heirlooms from an extinct hominid species (SN: 9/8/12, p. 9)."

It has long been proposed by anthropologists that Papuans and Australian aborigines inherited some DNA from the descendants of Homo floresiensis. Since its DNA has not been tested yet, that could be the mysterious third branch of extinct hominids.

Since Denisovan was found in Siberia, it is likely that early hominids that left Africa split in a North Asian and a South Asian groups, divided by the Himalayas. So we could have three geographic groups: Neanderthals in western Eurasia, Denisovans in North Asia and Flores in South Asia.

maybe the 'hobbit'

Homo Floresiensis ?

It must be a social construct.

100 - 50 ka Sundaland was a dump
all kinda people who couldn't survive elsewhere lived in this biotope which is now drowned beneath sea level

It was actually Middle Earth. Toba was Mount Doom.

It's so fantastical for me to imagine being a human 50k years ago. There were actual different humanoids roaming around. It would have been known and talked about in certain groups.

I wonder if some of the first oral stories centered on encounters with different homonins. This and natural geological and weather events. I'm sure there were boring parables too, but encounters with actual real "monsters" or "creatures" would overshadow everything else.

It's so fantastical for me to imagine being a human 50k years ago. There were actual different humanoids roaming around. It would have been known and talked about in certain groups.

I wonder if some of the first oral stories centered on encounters with different homonins. This and natural geological and weather events. I'm sure there were boring parables too, but encounters with actual real "monsters" or "creatures" would overshadow everything else.

What does this mean then, not all humans came from Africa

reminds of the Chinese stating that they did not either come from africa

Planck studies show denisons from Siberia to Indonesia with the epi-centre around Vietnam, are these taller bigger people the origins of the query

What does this mean then, not all humans came from Africa

reminds of the Chinese stating that they did not either come from africa

Planck studies show denisons from Siberia to Indonesia with the epi-centre around Vietnam, are these taller bigger people the origins of the query

What?

I'm merely imagining what it might have been like to coexist with different (sub)species of humanoids.

This thread has been viewed 7961 times.

Back