President Bill Clinton might belong to Y-haplogroup I1

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
President William Jefferson Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe. Clinton is his adoptive father's name. His genealogy shows that his paternal grandfather hailed from Mississippi as did his previous patrilinear ancestors until the early 19th century.

I looked for the Blythe surnames on Ysearch.org and found six profiles, five of them shared the same haplotype (257SS, 3BBEE, HHRVT, QGGYS, UXEVH), including three that claim descend from Jesse Blythe (1857-1909) from Mississippi. The fifth was from Norfolk, England and had a different haplotype (MD2GP). Using Whit Athey's predictor, the Mississippi haplotypes were estimated to belong to haplogroup I1 with 100% certainty.

I searched for this Jesse Blythe and found that he died in Evergreen, Itawamba County, Mississippi. Bill Clinton's ancestors were from the adjacent Tippah County, in the same north-eastern corner of the state. According to the census for 1840 there were only five Blythe households in Mississippi at the time, probably all related. Considering how rare the Blythe surname and how the two lines both come from the same part of Mississippi during the same time frame, there is a very high chance that this is the same lineage and that President Clinton therefore belongs to this haplogroup.

The president's ancestor, Thomas Jefferson Blythe (1829-1907) had six children, but none are called Jesse. Bill Clinton descend from Henry Patton Foote Blythe (1851-1898). Jesse could have been his paternal cousin as Thomas Jefferson Blythe had three brothers who all married, but I couldn't find their children's names.

Maciamo, did you save the STR values from these Blythes anywhere?

This thread has been viewed 15209 times.

Back