origin of brachycephaly

Northener

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
NW Euro
Y-DNA haplogroup
E1b1b/ E-V22
One of the big mysteries in the (European) phenotyping is the origin of brachycephalic.

brachycephalic.jpg

It looks like if the common opinion is that brachycephaly a typical product of the Bronze Age. But why, and from which direction, is still a matter of discussion. I found this interesting blog in which is stated that brachycephaly is a kind of environmental adaption a side effect of brain reduction....is this the key or? Please comment!
https://rokus01.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/evolutionary-tales-behind-otzis-mesocephalic-skull/

Last edited:
David Anthony describes the situation near Sredny Stog, the Island at the end of the Dnjepr rapids.
10.000 years ago there were 3 tribes competing for control over this fertile territory, 1 dolychoephalic and 2 brachycephalic with 2 different burial customs.
In the end only 1 of the brachyphalic tribes remains.

IMO the dolychocephalic were WHG and the brachycephalic EHG.

David Anthony describes the situation near Sredny Stog, the Island at the end of the Dnjepr rapids.
10.000 years ago there were 3 tribes competing for control over this fertile territory, 1 dolychoephalic and 2 brachycephalic with 2 different burial customs.
In the end only 1 of the brachyphalic tribes remains.

IMO the dolychocephalic were WHG and the brachycephalic EHG.

Thanks bicicleur, interesting research. Than it's the question if this is the case due to or despite brachycephaly....What would be the evolutionary advantages? Stronger? More cute?...?

questions of brachycephaly have been discussed in other threads (without steady conclusions) -
Bicicleur spokes of brachy pops in Eastern Europe among EHG's. OK. Which ones? I never heard of true brachycephalic pops there before relatively recnet times. Where could I find cephalic indexes of these Sredny Stog people, I'm interested. BTW brachycephalic men and pops began to appear in Alps and Bourgogne, Western Europe, since the 6000 BC, if what I red was true.
the shape attached to a peculiar genetic package has maybe no advantage but is tied to unvisible advantages of this genetic package? For 'europoids' it's true the concentrations are roughly said rather linked to highlands...

By the way, almost all East Asian populations ( mongoloids ) are brachycephals... So the theory about Cro-Magnon became Alpin race or some things like that ( infantilization ? ), are juste a non-sens. I think we focus more on facts than on details, for exemple, if Yamna R1b were Dolichocephals, ( mediteranneans and proto-europoides ? ) it doesn't mean that it was the case in the origin. R1b could be a brachycephal tribe from central asia origin ( mongoloid brachycephal ) and let that physical stock for exemple in transcaucasia ( where it became, armenid ) and later evolved physicaly in pontic steppe, with mixing with other population. So for me, Brachycephalization has an origin in time and is not something that append with sedentary or farming, or environnmental issues.

By the way, almost all East Asian populations ( mongoloids ) are brachycephals... So the theory about Cro-Magnon became Alpin race or some things like that ( infantilization ? ), are juste a non-sens. I think we focus more on facts than on details, for exemple, if Yamna R1b were Dolichocephals, ( mediteranneans and proto-europoides ? ) it doesn't mean that it was the case in the origin. R1b could be a brachycephal tribe from central asia origin ( mongoloid brachycephal ) and let that physical stock for exemple in transcaucasia ( where it became, armenid ) and later evolved physicaly in pontic steppe, with mixing with other population. So for me, Brachycephalization has an origin in time and is not something that append with sedentary or farming, or environnmental issues.

Here is another R1b Afanasievo tribe, who were crogmanon-type paleo European like UP, so called "proto-Europid."
Another important thing is "elongnated skull" like catacomb cuture, but this part has been totally ignored. I think it was not fashion at all.

"Henry Field; Eugene Prostov. Results of Soviet Investigations in Siberia, 1940-1941/ American Anthropologist,New Series, Vol. 44, No. 3. (Jul. - Sep., 1942), pp. 388-406.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-7294(194207/09)2:44:3<388:ROSIIS>2.0.CO;2-1

The oldest anthropological objects from the Altai and Minusinsk, attributed to about 2,000 B.C. and belonging to the period of the Afanas'evo culture are characterized by pronounced traits of the Europoid peoples.

Twenty-four skulls from Afanas'evo sites possess similar characters. In addition to such Europoid traits as a prominent nose and an orhtognathous, ralatively short and unflattened face, the Afanas'evo skulls have an elongated for and are massive. The latter is expressed in a greater facial breadth, a greater slant of the forehead, and in highly developed supraorbital crests. This combination of characters is unknown among the modern European races but occurs in the Upper Paleolithic period.

The closest analogy to the Afans'evo skulls offered by the Cro-Magnon type of western Europe. Since all Afanas'evo skulls belong to this type with no Mongoloid admixture, it is most probable that the ancient inhabitants of western Siberia belonged to this type.

The first explanation is that the Afanas'evo people migrated into the western Siberia and eliminated the autochthons. The second possibility is that the Afanas'evo type resembled or was connected closely with that of the more ancient populations.

At that particular stage of historical development it is difficult to understand in what manner on such extenxive a territory as the stepps of western Siberia there should have occured such a complete displacement of a people by later invaders. It is far more plausible that the most ancient populations of the steppe belt of western Siberia down to the Minusinsk region originated from and belonged anthropologicaly to the Cro-Magnon type of western Europe."

Allways same old stories with incomplete doc -
It's evident Ötzi is not 'mesochephalic': he 's 'mesocrane' (over 75 Cranial Index) - but his skull is reasonably elongated whatever people say - on life it would have been qualified 'meso 'dolichocephalic', not mesocephalic (on life it began after IC 80)
That said I'm glad to see two views of Ötzi crania, even if not too precise (I would bet he was about IC 76)– Now I see better some ‘mediter’ aspects in his face spite he doesn’t seem too typical, but his jaw, yes, is more ‘mediter’ - his low skull is less evident, with a high placed occiput, something ‘cromagnoid’ ; surely a good example for meso-neolithic pops crossings in W-Europe, but the ‘mediter’ here doesn’t evocate the pedomorphic highskulled ‘danubian’ so common type among first agricultors of SE Europe and W Anatolia.
Brachycephaly (true : over 84 on cranium) begun roughly about the 8000 BC ?, with a future center around Bavaria/Switzerlands/Jura France (W Alps in sme way) – first brachy’s of Ofnet in Bavaria (one was IC 87) were found in company of dolicho’s more or less ‘brünnlike’ as a lot of Mesolithics but issued from Upper Paleo and also some sub-mesocephalic highskulled Azileans close to Teviec type; some details lead to the conclusion that all these skulls were not from an united cultural group. The brachy’s had big skulls, lowskulled, broad square faces and broad low orbits, with strong jaw – some evocate a brachy found before in Solutré, Bourgogne – Coon linked them to a (sub)brachycephalic type called sometimes « ofnet-afalou », whose some specimens can be found in Western Maghreb and at lower level in Palestine, close to ‘borreby’ types. At the early Neolithic, Switzerland lake-dwellings were settled by a majority of brachy’s lowheaded, broad- and lowfaced with low orbits, so not too far from the Ofnet brachys, but I think a bit smaller, and already less « paleolike », more foetalized, surely the prototypes of ‘alpine’ type. In Neolithic Switzerland, new dolicho’s arrived, with some variations but all of them evocating some kind of ‘mediter’ type. So, no, it’s not agriculture nor farmers who introduced brachycephaly in Western Europe. If first brachys came from East, it was before agriculture. Speaking of faces, the western european brachy’s whatever the subtype, are on a ‘cromagnoid’ pattern, nothing else.
In Switzerland some generations later, after crossings (apparently), some dysharmonic types appeared (broad skull, narrow face).
I think a mutation could be responsible of this brachycephaly ; the selective aspect escapes to my understanding to date ; it could be linked to other genes more effective for selection and in vicinity on the chromosome ???
concerning ‘east-asian’ types, they are far to be all brachycephalic and as a whole don’t present the extreme brachycephaly some ancient and modern Europeans present(ed) witthout speaking of differences in shape.
Concerning brachycephaly in general, Western and Eastern Europe do’nt oppose very different means, the concentration is rather in mountainous lands whatever the cause. I think the places were so called ‘alpine’ types dominated were the places of the extreme brachycephaly, in so called ‘dinaric’ lands it was a bit less extreme, as it was even lesser for ‘borreby’.

A distinct phenomenon is the brachycephalization which occurred since Middle Ages and affected almost of European regions, at least seen from far ; local reality could be more complicated. This phenomenon augmented, I would say, the CI’s of 3 ; more than a cause could ve involved (sedentism, short circles of mating, food, hard body work before adolescence, environment… I don’t know) – of you add 1 to 1,3 between skull and alife head, you can try to compare ancient pops and modern pops of the 1940’s applying a +4,0/4,3 correction : then local pops appear less different that believed ? For « evolved » 2000 pops, at the opposite, let’s apply a -2/-2,5 correction ?

I gave dates based on my bad memory - I did not find the precise dates for Solutre and Ofnet Cave. Mesolithic at least.

I think you are the expert. Do you think Yamna people could become paleo Europoid Afanasievo people? If so, where did yamna people come from? They are taller than even UP people.

"The Yamna population generally belongs to the European race. It was tall (175.5cm), dolichocephalic, with broad faces of medium height. Among them there were, however, more robust elements with high and wide faces of the proto-Europoid type, and also more gracile individuals with narrow and high faces, probably reflecting contacts with the East Mediterranean type (Kurts 1984: 90)."

by coon
2606gy1.png

I'm sorry, what is elongated skull ? I personnally never really understand the " proto-europoid " type, wich was used by sovietics physical anthropologists. And the race modern concept, doesn't mean anything eather, a part big evidence ( black skin, epicanthus ) because Cro-magnoid 1 is consider like the basic exemple of " caucasian race " but the rectangular orbital hole, are a " negroid " traits. For me, racial classification, is intuitive, you know who is european or not, and who have non-european ancestry or not. I'm pretty sure that, in paleolithic, when tribes where even not very metissed, ancestral population for R1a, R1b where in any case " mongolized ".

I'm sorry, what is elongated skull ?
http://www.perceptions.couk.com/authority.html

I want to see the elognated afanasievo skull. And I personally think that such a tradition continued to the elites of scythian and Hun, who originated in Altai area.

I personnally never really understand the " proto-europoid " type, wich was used by sovietics physical anthropologists.

The concept always makes people confused. I am not the expert, I think the afanasievo descriptions would explain the concept of proto-europid, which means broad face, short skull, no mongoloid but like Up people from cromagnon.

Important thing is this paleo European type was wide- spread in steppe zone of Eurasia from Dnieper to Altaye-Sayan region during bronze age. Moreover, it seems like the people spread Indo European language.

sample: andronovo
Andronovo_skull.jpg

I think the afanasievo looks like starting point of this type, but I don't know where they came from.

Last edited:
Coon on ancient races of Anatolia:

"Let us first examine what Bronze Age skeletal material there is in Asia Minor. So far, all of it comes from two sites, Alishar Hüyük, which, in its later periods, was a Hittite city, and Hissarlik, the seventh level of Which was Homer’s Troy. Both were important centers in the Bronze Age. At Alishar, fifty-three skulls have been studied, from seven archaeological periods, ranging from the earliest Copper Age, dated from between 2600 and 2300 B.C., to the Osmanli invasion.2

Ten crania from the earliest period (two “Chalcolithic,” eight Copper Age) are uniformly Danubian in type, both metrically and morphologically. The small, high-vaulted, somewhat infantile dolicho- and mesocephalic form, with small face and mesorrhine to chamaerrhine noses, is no different from that found at roughly the same time at Anau, at Mariupol, in the Kiev Government, and in the Danube Valley, in association with Neolithic cultures. Two others, which are longer, may belong to a Megalithic or Corded variety.The unity of the early food-producing peoples on both sides of the Caucasus and Black Sea is therefore indicated, and from the racial standpoint, the Danubians could have come to central Europe from either South Russia or Anatolia, or both.

In the second and third periods at Alishar, dated between 2300 and 1500 B.C., and called the Early Bronze Age, brachycephalic skulls appeared, and these persisted through the period of the Hittite Empire, for several centuries after 1500 B.C. The crania are large, low vaulted, and only moderately brachycephalic, with lambdoid flattening, and moderate browridges. The faces are of medium length, and narrow, although somewhat broader than those of the earlier Danubian type. The stature of the one male observed was tall, 174 cm.3

Not all of the Hittite Empire crania are brachycephalic. A long-headed variety, which seems to have replaced or outnumbered the brachycephals by the time of the Phrygian invasions, is both longer and lower vaulted than the Danubian type of the Copper Age; it is characterized by a very prominent nasal skeleton of true Near Eastern form, with little nasion depression. Bas-relief sculptures of historic Hittites reproduce this hook-nosed, open-eyed type of countenance.

The sequence of racial types in Asia Minor during the metal ages probably runs somewhat as follows: the earliest food-producing people were the same as those in western Turkestan and southern Russia. The latter probably came in earlier times from the highland belt of which Anatolia forms a part. Shortly before 2000 B.C., a moderately brachycephalic type, with tall stature, entered Anatolia from regions yet to be determined, followed by a low-vaulted, hawk-nosed Mediterranean form, which we have named Cappadocian,” and which is well known in the present day Near East. True Arrnenoids or Dinarics were not, apparently, common in early times."

I'm sorry, what is elongated skull ? I personnally never really understand the " proto-europoid " type, wich was used by sovietics physical anthropologists. And the race modern concept, doesn't mean anything eather, a part big evidence ( black skin, epicanthus ) because Cro-magnoid 1 is consider like the basic exemple of " caucasian race " but the rectangular orbital hole, are a " negroid " traits. For me, racial classification, is intuitive, you know who is european or not, and who have non-european ancestry or not. I'm pretty sure that, in paleolithic, when tribes where even not very metissed, ancestral population for R1a, R1b where in any case " mongolized ".

I lack ancient archaïc SSA skulls to be sure but I doubt the more recent SSA diverse types had the angular square orbits of earlier 'eurasians' (Jomons and Ainous among them). for Y-R1 ancestral pop, I don't know; no clue but some archaïc 'east-asian' pops can indicate us they were not already so 'mongol-like' as the current pops of East-Asia.
that said, the more you go back into past the less numerous or the physical types, I think.
concerning Russians 'archeo-eurasian' types, I lack measures (means, individuals, localization); I'm not sure the pop was so homogenous, only that its mean put it far enough from the MOST of modern 'europoids'. A lot of differences are based on the vague concept of "robusticity" what is not the better marker because it is tightly tied to way of life/environment - but when you look at today Czechs or Scandinavians (noses, inferior jaw, glabella and so on), you can still see along with more mixed people the remnants (traits) of several ancient types of Western Eurasia, gracilization or not.

I think you are the expert. Do you think Yamna people could become paleo Europoid Afanasievo people? If so, where did yamna people come from? They are taller than even UP people.

"The Yamna population generally belongs to the European race. It was tall (175.5cm), dolichocephalic, with broad faces of medium height. Among them there were, however, more robust elements with high and wide faces of the proto-Europoid type, and also more gracile individuals with narrow and high faces, probably reflecting contacts with the East Mediterranean type (Kurts 1984: 90)."

by coon
2606gy1.png

More than a time I took the party of Coon against some prejudices about his works. But here I can say I don"t rely on something as "Mesolithic" or "Neolithic" or "Modern period" statures: it's a nonsense.
in Mesolithic, Portugal Mugem were about 1m58, close to Teviec, N-Europe was about 1m65, E-Europe (no state at hand) was considered higher statured: there was not an homogenous pop all over Europe then; the most of "new mediters" coming at Cardial and after in W-Mediterranea werea bout 1m62 and it has been signaled "dwarves" in Switzerland Neolithic -
in Modern times (1940/50 for Coon?), Europe means ran from 1m60 (more in SW subregions) to 1m76 (Bosnia/Norway fringes)
at the cranium capacity level I don't know but it seems that spite regional variations the general trend has been towards a decrease in capacity by time - and W Mediterranean pops have/had constantly bigger crania than E Mediterranean pops what I'm tempted to put on the account of more Mesolithic input in S-West than in S-East.

I lack ancient archaïc SSA skulls to be sure but I doubt the more recent SSA diverse types had the angular square orbits of earlier 'eurasians' (Jomons and Ainous among them). for Y-R1 ancestral pop, I don't know; no clue but some archaïc 'east-asian' pops can indicate us they were not already so 'mongol-like' as the current pops of East-Asia.
that said, the more you go back into past the less numerous or the physical types, I think.
concerning Russians 'archeo-eurasian' types, I lack measures (means, individuals, localization); I'm not sure the pop was so homogenous, only that its mean put it far enough from the MOST of modern 'europoids'. A lot of differences are based on the vague concept of "robusticity" what is not the better marker because it is tightly tied to way of life/environment - but when you look at today Czechs or Scandinavians (noses, inferior jaw, glabella and so on), you can still see along with more mixed people the remnants (traits) of several ancient types of Western Eurasia, gracilization or not.

Again, I am not an expert, but I think the Russian concept of paleo Europid or proto-Europoid is closely related with the robustness of UP people and cromagnon. C. Loring brace explained the roboustness of UP and cromagnon.

- In the map, cromagnon is located with greek bronze far bellow sami/Fin

F2.large.jpg

- The dendrogram shows close ties between the greek Bronze and UP.

F1.large.jpg

In that run, the Natufian of Israel ties to the French Mesolithic and then to the Afalou/Taforalt sample from North Africa. These then link with the European Upper Palaeolithic sample and, somewhat surprisingly, with the Chandman (the Mongolian Bronze Age sample) and finally, at the next step, with the Danish Neolithic. One of the things that these geographically diverse groups clearly have in common is "a degree of robustness" that sets them apart from the recent inhabitants of the areas in which they are found

The afalou looks similar to the above andronovo's robustness.
chapter-II-plate3a.jpg

Moreover, C. Brace also mentioned this:
it is no surprise that all modern European groups, ranging all of the way from Scandinavia to eastern Europe and throughout the Mediterranean to the Middle East, show that they are closely related to each other.

--> modern european are close to middle East people who are not related with UP.
By the way, where did the greek bronze come from? Definitely not from middle east at all.

Ok by elongated skull you mean cranial bandage, i didnt know that the scientifical term was elongated skull. The problem with bandage its that it occurs in a lot of different population and can be a very ancestral cultural trait, or maybe they were hyperdolichocephalic elves.

Ok by elongated skull you mean cranial bandage, i didnt know that the scientifical term was elongated skull. The problem with bandage its that it occurs in a lot of different population and can be a very ancestral cultural trait, or maybe they were hyperdolichocephalic elves.
what bandage? elongated skull means cranial deformation like this.
France_Obernai_02.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation

Normally the royal elite group had that customs. Most important thing is the scythian and Hun's elites had that tradition, also originating in Altai like the Afanasievo people. If afanasievo and yamna people were same people, I think the afanasievo people would be elite group. They were original cromagnon type paleo-European.

Afanasievo Culture

an Aeneolithic culture of Southern Siberia found in the Minusinsk Basin and the Altai from themiddle of the third to the beginning of the second millennium B.C.; contemporary with theKelteminar culture, the Pit culture, and the Catacomb culture. Named for a burial ground atMount Afanasievo near the village of Bateni in the Khakass Autonomous Oblast. Unlike thesurrounding Mongoloid population, the tribes of the Afanasievo culture were of the so-called Paleo- european type.
Kiselev, S. V. Drevniaia istoriia luzhnoi Sibiri, [2nd ed.]. Moscow, 1951.

Istoriia Sibiri s drevneishikh vremen do nashikh dnei, vol. 1. Leningrad, 1968.

Again, I am not an expert, but I think the Russian concept of paleo Europid or proto-Europoid is closely related with the robustness of UP people and cromagnon. C. Loring brace explained the roboustness of UP and cromagnon.

- In the map, cromagnon is located with greek bronze far bellow sami/Fin

F2.large.jpg

- The dendrogram shows close ties between the greek Bronze and UP.

F1.large.jpg

The afalou looks similar to the above andronovo's robustness.
chapter-II-plate3a.jpg

Moreover, C. Brace also mentioned this:

--> modern european are close to middle East people who are not related with UP.
By the way, where did the greek bronze come from? Definitely not from middle east at all.

I've some doubts about the comparisons between ancient and modern pops; the absolute metrics classifications lead to false closeness and false remoteness concerning true genetic/genealogic links - you have not to go very far in time: already, between gentry and workers classes/peasantry of the same regions same times appear(ed) neat enough differences in robusticity with NO genetic link, only nutrition/kind of physicial work/way of life; - here I suppose they worked upon crania only - but these factors inpact shoulders breadth, arms span, arms length, breast chest, and intra/within members proportions - these differences are not so evident that between Paleo/Meso pops and the most of Neol pops but it exists... and two dolicho or two brachy persons could have very distinct shapes -
I don' deny AT ALL that difference in "robusticity" has a genetic background, but I say: not only -
I don't like dendograms...
concerning the above plottings you can see curious things as Neol GB closer to paleo people and Icelandmen far away! But neol GB men were very long headed and spite narrowheaded the addition of their absolute measures put them closer to ancient pops than a lot of North Europe pops, and they are close to Saami/Finn people spite thay have (according to me) very few in common; it show the relativeness of these means metrics plottings, for me.

Andronovo 's were not homogenous, but they shew (according to what I red) some global robusticity, and a tendancy to more mesocephalic less dolichocephalic heads compared to 'cromagnoid' people of the Mesolithic steppes; they could show sometime some closeness to Afalou based upon remote common background but they were different; what interest me is they could show in their crossings or evolution something evocating one of the famous (too famous?) 'borreby'like people found in Northern Europe and Germany about the 3000 BC or a bit earlier - since a long time I suspect one of the Y-I branches to be the source of this evolved type (compared to all dolicho or dolicho-meso pops of Mesolihtic, Alpine regions left aside) - some lambda flattened brachys have been seen among Steppes tribes and I wonder if it's not this kind of sub-brachys, alloyed with a kind of 'mediter' (rather "eastern" and semi-archaïc so Indo-Afghanlike) which gave birth to the so called 'dinaric' (mean?) type?... and I think in BBs and central and eastern European Y-I2 of any sort! Wait and sea.

warning: I'm not an expert, only a person very interested in shapes comparisons, ancient anthropology and drawing - so you can look around you for other informators too.

what bandage? elongated skull means cranial deformation like this.
France_Obernai_02.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation

Normally the royal elite group had that customs. Most important thing is the scythian and Hun's elites had that tradition, also originating in Altai like the Afanasievo people. If afanasievo and yamna people were same people, I think the afanasievo people would be elite group. They were original cromagnon type paleo-European.

OTHER tribes used the same deformations, maybe after contacts with Asian pops, Huns for the most:Alani, Vandles if I red well and maybe other East Germanic tribes - all the way it seems these deformations were not generalized in the pops, as you say --
I red the Wiki article and I was surprised they say head deformations were common in France until the XX Cy - I was aware of the Toulouse one, but for other regions???

Yes bandage, for modification of cranium, we bande the head when the kid is just few months. Its nothing else, it was still practiced in europe the last century.

This thread has been viewed 21961 times.

Back