Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
Iron Age and Medieval Iranians shared segments >3cM with Sintashta, Srubna & Potapovka, but not with Yamna:

GEDmatch comparison of ancient Iranians and ancient Steppe

Vdxgqn6.png

Nothing new. There is some Steppe ancestry in West Asia (Iran, Kurdistan, etc) due to some backmigration of the EASTERN Iranic speaking Scythians from the Steppes. Ancient Iranians Iranized the Steppes. There is HUGE amount of the Iranian Plateau DNA in those Steppes cultures. Many thousands of years later some Iranized Scythinas migrated back into the Iranian Plateau. It has been documented.

But it doesn't mean that ancient Original Iranians are from the Steppes. Only 'Iranized' East Iranic speaking Scythians were from the Steppes. But those Scythians were MULTI racial/ethnic people.

In general there is a genitc continuation between Copper Age Western Iranians and moderday Iranians. My DNA is practically the same as that of the Copper Age Iranians. There is some East Iranic speaking Scythian ancestry in me, but not much. Western Iranian DNA is dominating in me big time..

Many thousands of years later some Iranized Scythinas migrated back into the Iranian Plateau.

Actually Iron Age and Medieval Kurds/Iranians do not share any segments >3 cM with IA Scythian. They share with Sintashta, Srubnaya, Potapovka. BTW, only high quality samples are useful for these comparisons (I used only samples with >400,000 SNPs).

Actually Iron Age and Medieval Kurds/Iranians do not share any segments >3 cM with IA Scythian. They share with Sintashta, Srubnaya, Potapovka. BTW, only high quality samples are useful for these comparisons (I used only samples with >400,000 SNPs).
I made a mistake sorry

T637158 & M381564 are Iron Age Iranian (sample F38) and Medieval Iranian (sample I1955).

They are from Western Iran (Iranian part of Kurdistan).

T637158 & M381564 are Iron Age Iranian (sample F38) and Medieval Iranian (sample I1955).

They are from Western Iran (Iranian part of Kurdistan).
Oh thanks, now I do see it. It is very interesting. But 971-832 BC was the era of the Scythians. It was exactly at that time when the East Iranic speaking Scythians migrated into the western parts of the Iranian Plateau (, long after the Sintashta, Srubnaya cultures). But by that time there was already a division between West and East Iranian.

But like I said those Scythians were MULTI inter-racial ethnic people. Maybe that M348213 ScythianIA didn't belong to a race of Scythians who migrated into the wesern parts of the Iranian Plateau. Scythans were not a homogeneous race. Scythians in the East and Central Asia (Saka Scythians) were different from the Scythians who lived in let say Ukraine

Iron Age and Medieval Iranians shared segments >3cM with Sintashta, Srubna & Potapovka, but not with Yamna:

GEDmatch comparison of ancient Iranians and ancient Steppe

Vdxgqn6.png

Dear Tomenable

1. Middle Age Iranians actually share much more segments with Srubna and Potapovka than Sintashta. If we had Kura-Araxes or Yaz samples here the shared segments would be extremely high because those are the cultures the West Iranics derive from. And there is some ancient connection between Yaz and Srubna. Sintashta does not seem ancestral to Iranics at all (at least not West Iranics). But shows more connection to Indo_Aryans.

2. There is once again no Kotias, Iran_Neo or Satsurbila there because I bet this is mostly owed to shared ancestry. We had the Middle Age Iranian samples analysed they were nearly identical to modern day Iranic samples.

Last edited:
1. Middle Age Iranians actually share much more segments with Srubna and Potapovka than Sintashta.
This is probably because Sintashta sample is of much better quality (two times higher coverage):I0419 (Potapovka) - 474,599 SNPsI0432 (Poltavka) - 648,053 SNPsI0423 (Srubnaya) - 418,611 SNPsRISE395 (Sintashta) - 888,393 SNPsLower coverage genomes usually show higher sharing due to having shorter unbroken segments.So in reality Iranians probably had more of Sintashta ancestry than of Srubna/Potapovka ancestry.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 6870 times.

Back