Study of fecal matter to determine diet throughout history

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Archaeologists will go to any lengths, apparently, to get correct information. :)

See:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-old-clump-fecal-matter-bishop-made-it-007058

The good Bishop apparently very much liked buckwheat, like Le Brok. :)

He also, because of his wealth, apparently, had access to nuts, berries, and pepper corns.

That surprises me a little. Wouldn't poor people have been able to forage for nuts and berries?

I could easily live there as my favorite diet is exactly the same.
Another way they tentatively confirmed the source of the feces was by reading the bishop’s diaries, where he gave details about some of his meals. While the Danish populace ate staples like pork, cabbage and rye bread, wealthier people in Aalborg also consumed nuts and berries. The bishop did too.
Throw in buckwheat, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes and chicken, and I'm in heaven. :)

I'm regretting that buckwheat is not popular anymore today. I think it is because of improved transportation and supply of whiter rice to Northern Europe in last century. White rice is more caloric rich therefore was preferred by people. And form of a status from perspective of poor people. The poor always craved high caloric food not only because they were always hungry, but also to gain weight and look fat like rich people. I remember my mother always complementing, buying and feeding me wheat buns and rice, the better food, the better status food, in her understanding. Though I always wanted and loved rye bread and buckwheat!
I think buckwheat will be a winner of the future diet. It is healthy and gluten free alternative to wheat and rice. Why not making sushi with buckwheat? It much healthier and tastier. White rice is just pure starches and doesn't have taste, unless mixed with sauce.

Anyway, I like this research and it will be a great tool to use in future, to decipher cultures of the past. I sort of remember reading an article about discovery of ancient village garbage site, something like 1,000 BC in Poland or was it in Germany. They also ate lots of pork and cabbage. It might be the case that my affinity in taste for pork, cabbage and buckwheat might be ingrained in my DNA, after few thousands of years of eating same stuff in same area by my ancestors.

I didn't even know what buckwheat was (sorry) but I googled it and I found the Wikipedia article interesting. So, despite the fact that it originated in Southeast Asia and spread through Central Asia and is documented in Finland by at least 5300 BCE it seems that its introduction to at least some of the Slavic speakers was quite late. That's an interesting trivial fact.

Common buckwheat was domesticated and first cultivated in inland Southeast Asia, possibly around 6000 BCE, and from there spread to Central Asia and Tibet, and then to the Middle East and Europe. Domestication most likely took place in the western Yunnan region of China.[5] Buckwheat is documented in Europe in Finland by at least 5300 BCE[6] as a first sign of agriculture, and in the Balkans by circa 4000 BCE in the Middle Neolithic. Russian-speakers call buckwheat гречка (grechka) meaning "little Greek", due to its introduction in the seventh century by the Byzantine Greeks; the same is the case in Ukrainian.

I would assume that proto-Slavs didn't cultivate it.

I didn't even know what buckwheat was (sorry) but I googled it and I found the Wikipedia article interesting. So, despite the fact that it originated in Southeast Asia and spread through Central Asia and is documented in Finland by at least 5300 BCE it seems that its introduction to at least some of the Slavic speakers was quite late. That's an interesting trivial fact.
In Slavic languages Buckwheat is called "Gryka", which most likely denotes that Slavs adopted buckwheat from Greeks. This is quite extraordinary, as Buckwheat was known for thousands of years throughout Europe. Therefore, I think that perhaps Greek variety was adopted after Slavic expansion or perhaps just before, and not buckwheat in general.

A wombat eats, roots and leaves

This thread has been viewed 2983 times.

Back