Question about peoples of Cisalpine Gaul

KenCalgary

Reaction score
Hello, I'm fascinated by the breadth and depth of knowledge of people on this Forum about the history and peoples of northern Italy (Cisalpine Gaul?) and so I'm hoping you might suggest a few books that will help me understand this part of the World. Were they all Celtic? What are Italic peoples?

I've been discovering the Y-DNA R-U152 world through my wife's cousin and know very little about the region and its ancient peoples.

Hello, I'm fascinated by the breadth and depth of knowledge of people on this Forum about the history and peoples of northern Italy (Cisalpine Gaul?) and so I'm hoping you might suggest a few books that will help me understand this part of the World. Were they all Celtic? What are Italic peoples?

I've been discovering the Y-DNA R-U152 world through my wife's cousin and know very little about the region and its ancient peoples.

maybe this book

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...hDoAQgZMAA#v=onepage&q=cisalpine gaul&f=false

but, what are you after DNA for north italy in regards to U152? or !!

Thanks for the book suggestion, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what are you after DNA for north italy in regards to U152? or !!." If you mean, what am I trying to achieve with the DNA it's only this: I was interested to know the origins of my wife's male line (through her male cousin) because the ancestor was in southern Britain and we thought he might have been Welsh from the surname. We've only had one match, and not from the area, so it was a surprise to discover the northern Italy connection with U152. I know very little about the area, except for generalized history about the Romans, so I thought it might be nice to learn more, especially given the amount of detail people on this Forum have added to discussions.

Thanks for the book suggestion, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what are you after DNA for north italy in regards to U152? or !!." If you mean, what am I trying to achieve with the DNA it's only this: I was interested to know the origins of my wife's male line (through her male cousin) because the ancestor was in southern Britain and we thought he might have been Welsh from the surname. We've only had one match, and not from the area, so it was a surprise to discover the northern Italy connection with U152. I know very little about the area, except for generalized history about the Romans, so I thought it might be nice to learn more, especially given the amount of detail people on this Forum have added to discussions.

I mean, that different parts of northern italy ( old cisalpine gaulish areas ) have different branches of the R-U152 line. western north italy is different to eastern north Italy.

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm awaiting results from FTDNA to verify if the branch is Z72 (which was the branch of the only match).

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm awaiting results from FTDNA to verify if the branch is Z72 (which was the branch of the only match).

Well, today Family Tree DNA confirmed that the branch that my wife's male ancestors belonged to was R-Z72 which I'm assuming was spread by the Romans?

My First cousin once removed ( her father and my grandmother are brother and sister ) presented her ancestry to me yesterday.

Europe 100%

• Italy/Greece 61%
  • Ireland 11%
  • Europe West 9%
  • Iberian Peninsula 9%
  • Trace Regions 10%

• Europe East 6%
  • Scandinavia 2%
  • European Jewish 1%
  • Great Britain < 1%

Ancestry never presented her with a Mtdna ( whats up with this )...............but I know her father was R-L2

She is back from Europe and said she has been to Santa Irena ( venetian name for the island , now called Santorini )
Santorini and in the centre of the city is the castle Baseggio, ( I had photos to prove it ). Knight Sig. Baseggio was a crusader from Venice who did not go home, but build a castle and a church In the 4th crusade time.

My questions are-
1 - Are Cisapline Gauls of only french origin ? .................can they have come down from the Alps? .............looking at her father's R-L2

2- Does ancestry only do ethnic results or does it come with DNA .............as she gave me access to her Ancestry, but I cannot seem to navigate it properly.

This thread has been viewed 4171 times.

Back