PDA

View Full Version : Does the blood type strictly determine my ancestry?

noraceID
11-12-16, 09:25
Hi! I'm new in this forum, so here's my first thread.
My blood type is B (Rh positive). In theory, I should have asian ancestry, since that blood type had its origin in that region. HOWEVER, as far as I know, none of my ancestors came from Asia. I know that I descend from Europeans (Spain) and Amerindians (Peru). Is this possible? Then, how is my blood type explained? I must emphasize that there are no asians in my family, and there is no connection with that ethnic group.:indifferent::indifferent::indifferent:

Boreas
11-12-16, 09:53
Hi! I'm new in this forum, so here's my first thread.
My blood type is B (Rh positive). In theory, I should have asian ancestry, since that blood type had its origin in that region. HOWEVER, as far as I know, none of my ancestors came from Asia. I know that I descend from Europeans (Spain) and Amerindians (Peru). Is this possible? Then, how is my blood type explained? I must emphasize that there are no asians in my family, and there is no connection with that ethnic group.:indifferent::indifferent::indifferent:
http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/files/2014/10/bloodtypes.png

Hello, my blood brother.

Thanks to you, now I learn that RH- is rare in East Asia :good_job:

noraceID
11-12-16, 10:17
Hmmm, I barely understand the graphic...So, B blood type doesn't come from Asia?

Maciamo
11-12-16, 10:34
ABO and Rh blood types are pretty irrelevant for ancestry, as there are so few types and all are found in practically every ethnic group.

There are however non-ABO blood types which are found in very specific regions. For example the Diego + type (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_antigen_system) is typical of Northeast Asia and North Amerindians, but even there it is found in only 1 to 15% of the population.

Boreas
11-12-16, 16:58
Hmmm, I barely understand the graphic...So, B blood type doesn't come from Asia?

As Maciamo said major blood types (A-B-AB & O) can be find in all other nations.

Example; My mum A, dad is AB but we two brothers are B

firetown
19-12-16, 08:38
Theoretically speaking it takes just one B ancestor many generations ago to make you B.

New Englander
23-12-16, 03:06
For recent or overall ancestry, blood types mean less than haplogroups

firetown
01-01-17, 15:55
For recent or overall ancestry, blood types mean less than haplogroups
Less in terms of what?