23andMe 23 & me- East asian VS. dodecad and euro-West asian??

milacek

Reaction score
first let me say i am 99.8% European (American). my family is from UK, Ireland, Germany, Czech, and Russia. So I was pleasantly surprised to see .1% Eastern Asian (Japanese/Yakut) pop up on my 23&me. I then plugged it into GEDmatch and it came up on both dodecad and Eurogenes as a western asian admixture. I realize .1% is a very small number but I am trying to figure out if that's just a left over remnant from ancient admixture or if it is more recent. I am also trying to figure out where exactly this population DNA comes from (eastern vs western asia). Has anyone had this occur or could anyone give me some insight into this? I'm a newb to ancestry.

Interesting info milacek. I'm not an expert myself (my apologies), but as a quick mention, I don't think it would be out of the ordinary if some of your Russian ancestry carried this East Asian admixture. From population studies, 'Eastern-like' admixture just seemed common in small amounts in the Russian populace. I'm pretty sure it would differ going from region to region and community to community though. Then again, it could just be noise if it's this small.. Do you have knowledge about the extended history of your families? (where they've been, how they've moved around, etc).

Hi, Kisuan. Thank you for you reply. I know my family going back about 5 generations. There are several Russian born, Czech born, or German born in recent family history. I've been looking into it and it seems like you are probably onto something. Its very possible if there is Asian ancestry it is intermixed with my Russian family. I'm going to be doing some more research into that side of my family to see what I find. :) thank you.

Hi, Kisuan. Thank you for you reply. I know my family going back about 5 generations. There are several Russian born, Czech born, or German born in recent family history. I've been looking into it and it seems like you are probably onto something. Its very possible if there is Asian ancestry it is intermixed with my Russian family. I'm going to be doing some more research into that side of my family to see what I find. :) thank you.

Ah, you're welcome. But don't take my statement too seriously. There is, of course, still a chance your Russian side might not care this lineage. 0.1% is very very small. It likely came about after many, many generations of mixing, so it's not like you could go through family records of a few hundred years and find a Buryat or Yakut ancestor on your Russian side. If you find a Cossack or something I guess that would be interesting (Cossacks could have many lineages going far back). I'm not even sure if you could necessarily attribute this admixture to the steppe folk who invaded Europe in the past either (like Huns and whatnot). If you have 23andme results for your parents or relatives it could help enlighten things! Anyway, good luck in your research!

By the way, may I ask what percentage of the East Asian was Yakut and what percentage Japanese? Yakut isn't too unexpected I think, but Japanese is certainly atypical.

This thread has been viewed 3233 times.

Back