Best DNA Test Kit in 2017?

Aha

Hunter-Engineer
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Ukrainian
Y-DNA haplogroup
N-FGC13372/Z16975
I am looking for the best DNA test kid deal on the market today (or in few weeks)

I need it for:
1) Y-DNA with the deepest subclades/snp possible;
2) Autosomal DNA data - I want to use that to calculate my hunter gatherer and other admixtures. Finding matches on FTDNA seems a very nice addition too, but major purpose is the detailed genetic admixture picture;
3) mtDNA
Budget is not unlimited
I researched the topic a year ago and my best option so far was Geno 2.0 NextGen with a consequential transfer of the sample to FTDNA, where I order another Autosomal test (right? or I don't need it for the admixture calculator?).

What is the latest situation and the best deal on the market today?

Thank you!

Perhaps LivingDNA at 159 euros I think it is..

they test...

650,000 autosomal DNA SNPs
20,000 Y-DNA SNPs
4,000 MT-DNA SNPs.

My ranking would be as follow:

1) LivingDNA
2) Geno 2.0.
3) 23andMe (for those who care less about deep haplogroup clades and more about health reports)

I am looking for the best DNA test kid deal on the market today (or in few weeks)

I need it for:
1) Y-DNA with the deepest subclades/snp possible;
2) Autosomal DNA data - I want to use that to calculate my hunter gatherer and other admixtures. Finding matches on FTDNA seems a very nice addition too, but major purpose is the detailed genetic admixture picture;
3) mtDNA
Budget is not unlimited
I researched the topic a year ago and my best option so far was Geno 2.0 NextGen with a consequential transfer of the sample to FTDNA, where I order another Autosomal test (right? or I don't need it for the admixture calculator?).

What is the latest situation and the best deal on the market today?

Thank you!

my sister did Geno 2.0 NextGen in November 2016 with her mtdna as H95a ( which is correct )............the transfer to ftdna gave her H-159c and nothing else, she needs to pay $39 to get a marking which will be better than what ftdna gave her but will not be the correct H95a as ftdna do not have it

nat geno 2 next gen gave her this ancestry for what its worth

• 40% Southern Europe
  • 30% Western and Central Europe
  • 16% Eastern Europe
  • 12% Asia Minor
  • 2% Jewish Diaspora

the only place I have jewish in my chromsome is in the X chromosome ............which is maternal

Reactions: Aha
I have now compiled a comprehensive DNA testing FAQ to learn how to retrace ancestry with DNA, which test to choose and how to interpret your results.

I would like to do (and recommend) the " YSEQ's Whole Genome Test (15x)" (http://yseq.net/).
From their site: "​This WGS test is specifically designed for genealogy researchers and includes:

• Full Mitochondrial Genome (Fasta file & haplogroup)
  • Annotation of all Y-SNP names and Y haplogroup information from Ybrowse.org
  • Separate VCF files for derived and novel Y-SNPs
  • User friendly autosomal allele files that can be immediately uploaded to genealogy tools like GedMatch (they will convert it even to 23andme format)
  • All raw data (FastQ, BAM, VCF etc.) supplied for free download or on SD card by mail
  • FREE Sanger sequencing confirmation of up to 10 novel Y-SNPs (for well prepared submission to the ISOGG tree)
  • Turn around time less than 3 months (after sample arrival)
In other words: This is the ultimate Y-DNA / mtDNA / Autosomal DNA Test in one package!"
The Price is 899$.

Sounds good. But they don't mention how many SNPs are tested. "Whole genome" can be misleading as they may just mean that they cover every gene of each chromosome (full or partial exome), but not necessarily all the 3 billion base pairs. In fact they say that the test cover "only" 42,000 single Y-SNPs , which may sound like a lot but is much less than then 20+ millions tested by FGC's Y Elite 2.1, and a far cry from the whole Y chromosome (59 million SNPs). So that must be true for all chromosomes.

"Over 42,000 single Y-SNPs are available in our catalog and the portfolio is growing every day."- this does not belong to the Whole Genome sequencing. It just reffers to the rest of the site. Because they also offer single SNP testings and you can even wish any SNP for just 1$ (this is why they say "growing every day"). The Y-dna analysis of yseq is compareable to the "Genome Guide 15x Whole Genome" from the "Full Genome" site for 795$, but this does not even include an autosomal analysis. So this still seems to be very a good offer.
"
YSEQ extracts the DNA in-house and performs a quality assurance test which includes quantification and a YSEQ Alpha Y-STR profile (or HVR1 mtDNA for females) to make sure the correct sample is handled. After QC (quality control) we send the sample to our partner laboratory, Macrogen, for NG sequencing on their HiSeq X-Ten platform. After the raw FastQ files are returned, YSEQ will perform an in depth analysis of the dataset focusing on genealogy relevant topics. We'll annotate every named Y-chromosome SNP from Ybrowse to a VCF document with their ancestral and derived states. You'll receive separate files for your derived SNPs and for your novel SNP candidates and the InDel mutations. The novel SNPs will be qualified by an experienced scientist manually and up to 10 novel mutations will be verified with your sample by Sanger sequencing (included in the price).

The analysis includes the complete mitochondrial DNA sequence with your mt haplogroup information. We also export the autosomal alleles in a 23andMe compatible format which can be used for many genealogy tools."

The full mtDNA sequence is not much, only 16,500 SNPs. I still want to know how much SNPs are tested for 795$.

Many peoples talked to me about new LivingDNA tool that according to them is economic and very good for ancestry composition and haplogroups. I'll try this in the next times.

Here is a summary table of the DNA tests available in 2017.

SNPs included

CompanyAutosomal SNP'sY-DNA SNP'sX-DNA SNP'smtDNA SNP'sHealth SNPs
23andMe (v4)577,3822,32919,4873,154yes
AncestryDNA682,549885nonenoneyes
Chromo 2.0290,16914,497none3,142no
FTDNA Family Finder690,000nonenonenoneno
FTDNA Comprehensive Genome690,000none (111 Y-STR)none16,569no
Geno 2.0 NextGen700,000~20,000yes~4,000no
Living DNA638,00022,50017,8004,700yes
MyHeritageDNA?nonenonenone?

Prices, shipping costs & availabilities

CompanyPrice (USA/EU/UK)Shipping feesCountries available
23andMe99~199$/169€/129£9.95$ (US), 9.99£ (UK), 9.99€ (some EU), 40-72$ (other)over 50 countries
AncestryDNA99$/99€/79£20$/€/£35 countries
BritainsDNA Chromo 2.0345$/285€/240£freeworldwide
FTDNA Family Finder79$9.95$worldwide
FTDNA Comprehensive Genome546$9.95$worldwide
Geno 2.0 NextGen149.95$9.95$ (US), 19.95$ (Canada), 29.95$ (other countries)worldwide
Living DNA159$/159€/120£freeworldwide
MyHeritageDNA79$/79€/69£12$/€/£worldwide

Rating

CompanyAutosomal reportY-DNA haplogroupmtDNA haplogroupValue for moneyOverall rating
1. Living DNA
rate09.gif
rate10.gif
rate11.gif
rate11.gif
rate10.gif
2. 23andMe (US, UK, North EU)*
rate10.gif
rate07.gif
rate09.gif
rate10.gif
rate09.gif
3. Chromo 2.0 (BritainsDNA)
rate09.gif
rate09.gif
rate09.gif
rate05.gif
rate07.gif
4. Geno 2.0 NextGen
rate02.gif
rate10.gif
rate10.gif
rate09.gif
rate06.gif
5. 23andMe (other countries)*
rate07.gif
rate07.gif
rate09.gif
rate05.gif
rate05.gif
6. Comprehensive Genome (FTDNA)
rate03.gif
rate08.gif
rate11.gif
rate03.gif
rate05.gif
7. MyHeritageDNA
rate08.gif
rate07.gif
rate04.gif
8. AncestryDNA
rate06.gif
rate05.gif
rate03.gif
9. Family Finder (FTDNA)
rate03.gif
rate05.gif
rate02.gif

You will find detailed explanations here.

That's a clear overview. I decided I can't wait any longer; it is all very cheap now compared to the past, and ordered a kit at Living DNA. I am very curious about all results. Now I'll have to wait and wait..

Here is a summary table of the DNA tests available in 2017.

I was thinking about ordering 23andMe, but I will probably order Living DNA after reading your review.

I can also try to get tested for free because there is currently an ongoing project "Genomic Map of Poland":

https://www.put.poznan.pl/cn/node/994

They are going to test from 5,000 to 10,000 people from all over Poland. Would be nice to be among them.

my sister did Geno 2.0 NextGen in November 2016 with her mtdna as H95a ( which is correct )............the transfer to ftdna gave her H-159c and nothing else, she needs to pay $39 to get a marking which will be better than what ftdna gave her but will not be the correct H95a as ftdna do not have it

nat geno 2 next gen gave her this ancestry for what its worth

• 40% Southern Europe
  • 30% Western and Central Europe
  • 16% Eastern Europe
  • 12% Asia Minor
  • 2% Jewish Diaspora

the only place I have jewish in my chromsome is in the X chromosome ............which is maternal

As of 23 March, Ftdna has upgraded the mtdna tree for me and sister.........we are correctly marked as H95a. the MyOrigins difference between myself ( old ftdna member ) and my sister , recent transfer to ftdna from Nat geno is about 10%.............it does not look like my sister is on the "beta" new myOrigins

There are some problems with Living DNA, it does not tell you about your deep ancestry:

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2017/02/the-new-living-dna-test-review-of-my.html

"(...) Reportedly, this test is only looking back to where your ancestors were about four to five generations ago, but the What you are made of section on the site states, "A typical profile provides your genetic ancestry going back about six generations." Either way, this is not a deep ancestry analysis and should reflect what we know about our recent ancestors. (...)"

Going only 4-6 generations back is not much. I already know all of this based on genealogy.

I want something which tells me about deep ancestry, at least hundreds of years back. It also seems that Living DNA is mostly catering to people with British ancestry. It even divides British ancestry into tiny regional "sub-admixtures".

I see, livingdna seems to favour the British. I think they may skew some Dutch ancestry towards Anglo-Saxon. Their Y-dna and mt-DNA seem good enough at least.
I might also try 23andme later, but one at the time!

There are some problems with Living DNA, it does not tell you about your deep ancestry:

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2017/02/the-new-living-dna-test-review-of-my.html

"(...) Reportedly, this test is only looking back to where your ancestors were about four to five generations ago, but the What you are made of section on the site states, "A typical profile provides your genetic ancestry going back about six generations." Either way, this is not a deep ancestry analysis and should reflect what we know about our recent ancestors. (...)"

Going only 4-6 generations back is not much. I already know all of this based on genealogy.

I want something which tells me about deep ancestry, at least hundreds of years back. It also seems that Living DNA is mostly catering to people with British ancestry. It even divides British ancestry into tiny regional "sub-admixtures".

It is doubtful that the reports only goes back 4 to 6 generations. That's barely 100 to 200 years ago. I am still awaiting my results, but I know British people who tested and got their ancestral region or adjacent region rightly pinpointed, although with a percentage of 40 to 60%, which implies that they are going back much further (or aren't as accurate as they should be). Those Brits got about 5% of Scandinavian, about the same as with 23andMe. Such a figure would included Viking but not Anglo-Saxon ancestry, which makes sense since the Anglo-Saxons aren't really Scandinavian (Lower Jutland, Lower Saxony and Frisia). The Italian (Tuscan, so probably Roman) percentages were considerably higher with LivingDNA (5-10%) than with 23andMe (0-1%) in England.

DNA testing companies may not be the best judges of their own product. 23andMe claims that their Ancestry Composition goes back maximum 500 years, but in fact it is more 1000 to 2000 years.

This thread has been viewed 12491 times.

Back