Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
According to Family Tree DNA, I have mtDNA haplogroup W:

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_W_mtDNA.shtml

mtDNA-W-map.png

I must see where can this haplogroup be found in ancient DNA.

So far, I only ordered the cheaper test "mtDNA Plus".

I will need to upgrade it to "mt Full Sequence" later.

Congratulations on your test results. I don't understand however why you'd order separate tests for autosomal, Y-DNA and mtDNA at FTDNA while it is cheaper to order a combo. The best offer at the moment is LivingDNA, which tests 650,000 autosomal markers (including health related ones, but without health report), 20,000 Y-DNA SNPs (22x more than AncestryDNA and 9x more than 23andMe) and 4,500 mtDNA SNPs (more than any other company except for FTDNA's the full mtDNA sequence). And all this for 120£ or 159€. Free delivery in Europe (including return postage) as it is a company based in Denmark and the Netherlands (with UK university affiliations). Unless you got a lot of coupons and special offers, it's at least half cheaper than FTDNA, and FTDNA won't test 20,000 SNPs.

Congratulations on your test results. I don't understand however why you'd order separate tests for autosomal, Y-DNA and mtDNA at FTDNA while it is cheaper to order a combo. The best offer at the moment is LivingDNA, which tests 650,000 autosomal markers (including health related ones, but without health report), 20,000 Y-DNA SNPs (22x more than AncestryDNA and 9x more than 23andMe) and 4,500 mtDNA SNPs (more than any other company except for FTDNA's the full mtDNA sequence). And all this for 120£ or 159€. Free delivery in Europe (including return postage) as it is a company based in Denmark and the Netherlands (with UK university affiliations). Unless you got a lot of coupons and special offers, it's at least half cheaper than FTDNA, and FTDNA won't test 20,000 SNPs.

Life I could give you 10 helpful points, I would. Thank you so much for helping to get more bang for my buck. Although I must ask, the advertisement seems impressive but I have a couple of questions; devil's advocate and curiousity. What era's in time and groups of people are LivingDNA going to compare us with specifically?
For example:

Present: Cork, Ulster, Cornwall, Dal Riada
Mideval: Prussia, Ottoman Empire, Byzantine Empire
Classical: Anatolian, Mongolian Tribes, Celts
Stone Age: Corded Ware, WHG, EEF, Kunda Culture

And does my LivingDNA Ydna/mtdna connect me with a ancient civilization; will the test say if I'm directly descended from Vikings via my mtdna?

I was about to give Ftdna a go since the "Seattle Geneology Society" gives Discounts to members but if LivingDNA is more bang for my buck, then I might wanna show this to my Mom before I test with LivingDNA. :)

Last edited:
Your Y DNA and mtDNA results are surprises. Below is a list of ancient Ws I'm aware of.

W1c'i: I1097, 6500-6200 BC, Barcin Turkey
W6: Va7, 5500-4500 BC, Romania
W: Starčevo Culture, ~5500 BC, Hungary=2
W1c'i: LBK Culture, ~5000 BC, Germany=2
W: LBK Culuture, ~5000 BC, Germany=1
W1c-i: Schöningen Culture, ~4000 BC, Germany=2
W: QLB 3, ~3800 BC, Germany
W1c'i: BENZ18, ~3000 BC, Germany=1
W: MAJ9, ~3500-3000 BC, Steppe
W6: ~3500-3000 BC, Yamnaya=2
W3a1a: SVP57, ??, Yamnaya

W6a: ESP16, 2600 BC, Corded Ware Germany
W1c1: BZH 15, 2500-2050 BC, Bell Beaker Germany
W: EUL 22, 2198-2162 BC, Bell Beaker Germany
W3a1: ESP4, 2118-1961 BC, Unetice Germany
W: ~2000 BC, Unetice Germany=2
W: 6H, ~2000 BC, Minoan

Here is a really great website about mtDNA haplogroup W: http://www.thecid.com

So far I only tested as W, but most likely I'm W6a since all of my matches are W6a.

The list of my matches on HVR1 and HVR2:

mtDNA Haplogroup
W6a
W
W6a
W6a
W6a

W
W
W
W
W6a
W
W6a
W6-C16192T
W6a
W
W6a
W6a
W6a
W6a
W6a
W6a

AFAIK, only two ancient DNA samples of W6a have been found so far:

W6a ; Russia; Yamnaya culture, Lopatino II, Sok River, Samara 3500-2700 BCE

W6a ; Germany; Corded Ware culture, Esperstedt 2566-2477 BCE

Unless you got a lot of coupons and special offers
Yes, I had a chance to use a lot of discounts. :) But probably it was still not cheaper than LivingDNA.

=======================

It seems that I have W6 for sure (and most likely W6a), since I have defining mutations HVR1 16192 & HVR1 16325:

I have C at HVR1 16325 and T at HVR1 16192:

PositionCRSYour Result
16192CT
16325TC
According to this website, these mutations define W6:

http://www.thecid.com/w6.htm

It seems that W6 emerged among CHG hunters ca. 10,000 years ago and then migrated to the Steppe with CHG ancestry:

W6 appeared in the area between the Black and Caspian Seas, perhpas in what is now Georgia, around 10,000 years ago.

W6a was found in Yamnaya culture and in Corded Ware culture, so it is definitely associated with Indo-European migrations.

Here is a map of W6 (the highest concentration today is in Georgia, where around 5,2% of the population carry it):

w6distrib.jpg

Ancient samples of confirmed W6:

W6: Va7, ~5500-4500 BC, Vinča culture Romania

W6c: Lopatino I, ~3090-2910 BC, Yamnaya Russia

W6a: Lopatino II, ~3500-2700 BC, Yamnaya Russia
W6a: Esperstedt, ~2566-2477 BC, Corded Ware Germany

W6 is a typically Indo-European lineage and has particularly strong affinities with the Corded Ware and Sintashta culture and the R1a branch of Indo-Europeans. Nowadays W6 is found mainly among Baltic, Slavic, Indian and Iranian people.

Hello from another W! I don't know my subclade (took the Geno.1 test several years ago). I've recently taken the Mtdna+ test from FTDNA, which is supposed to give more details (HVR1 + HVR2), and the Family Finder test. Should have the results in 6-8 weeks.

MTDNA maps never make sense. Women really got around back then.

One new ancient sample of W6a, in Baltic Corded Ware, from Mittnik et. al. 2017:

~3500-2700 BC, Yamnaya, Lopatino II, Russia
~3260-2630 BC, Corded Ware, Plinkaigalis, Lithuania
~2566-2477 BC, Corded Ware, Esperstedt, Germany

Hello from another W!

Hello! We share this W with Jesus: :)

http://www.thecid.com/#ancient

Results from the Tomb of the Shroud in Israel (originally purported to be the family of Jesus) date to the first century AD and believed to be W

Last edited:
I know now that I am W5. Seems to be from Corded Ware. Very interesting.

I've finally taken the full Mtdna sequence; I'm W3a1 with 2 extra mutations, which puts me in a "new subgroup" of W3a1. These mutations are G709A and C10845T. They match two academic sequences: JQ245760 from Fernandes et al, 2012., a Kurd from Turkey and KJ445931 from Zheng, a Pashtun (Pakistan).

I have 2 exact matches: a man from Germany and a woman from Poland.

From my personal Mtdna analysis report: "The earliest W3a appears to be a W3a1a from the Sok river, near Samara in Russia dating to 3300-2700 BC. These Yamnaya Peoples are believed to be Indo-Europeans that spread that language group into Europe and elsewhere. Additionally there is a W3a1 from the Unetice culture dated to 2118-1961 cal BC. Based on HVR1&2 sampling there are two additional Unetice W3a1 samples dating to 2040-1910 BC and 1980-1870 BC. So it seems likely that W3a1 spread via the Yamnaya people 2600 km into Europe firstly with the Corded Ware and then the later derived Unetice culture."

Last edited:
I have 2 more exact matches besides the German and Polish ones. One from Libya (whose maternal grandmother - who was apparently adopted - was possibly of European descent) and one from Russia.

More info on my subclade, from the admin of the W haplogroup project on Ftdna:

W3a1 has a huge spread from Ireland to Laos, indicating that it has an ancient origin, maybe as far back as Stone Age.

There has recently been a new exciting discovery related to your particular subbranch of W3a1.

“Juras et al 2017” describes a W3a1 Iron Age about 10-11 year old child SCY196 from Glinoe in southern Moldova not far from Odessa in current Ukraine, dated 400-100 BC belonging to the Scythian nomads. This individual belongs to the suggested subclade W3a1+G1709A/C10845T, which you belong to, as well as a sample with Pashtun origin in Pakistan (genbank sample KF450952/KJ445931/HGDP00243) and one from Turkey (genbank sample JQ245760). In the same time period as or slightly later than the Moldovian sample lived, there was an incursion of Indo-Scythian warrior nomad tribes into the now Pashtun areas of Pakistan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Scythians), so this is a plausible connection between you and the Pashtun sample. The Scythian child has additional private mutations that you do not share, so he is not a very close relative to any of your matrilineal ancestors, but it is still interesting to know this connection.

In terms of prehistory, there exists a number of ancient skeletons that have been analysed which belong to the W3a1 subclade:

“Haak et al 2015” describes a Late Neolithic W3a1a male SVP57 from the Lopatino II at the Sok river in Samara in Russia, dated to 3300-2700 BC belonging to the Yamnaya culture. This male has the additional private mutation A15951G that is one of several marker mutations for a subbranch under W3a1a1. The Yamnaya herding culture of the Russian steppes are believed to have brought Indo-European language and culture to Europe during the Copper Stone Age or early Bronze Age.

“Olalde et al 2018” describes a Chalcolithic (Copper Age) W3a1 male I3607 from Bruck in Künzing in Bavaria in Germany, dated to 2350-2250 BC belonging to the Bell Beaker culture. This male has the additional private mutation C16294T that is not found in any current W3a1 kits. The Bell Beaker culture is associated with metalwork in copper, gold and later bronze. This male was buried with a decorated handled Bell Beaker behind the head and two flint arrow-heads. Traces of copper and gold metalwork has been found in a nearby grave.

“Haak et al 2015” also describes an Early Bronze Age W3a1 male ESP4 from Esperstedt in Germany, dated to 2134-1939 BC belonging to the Unetice culture that confirms the link to metalworking cultures. This male has four additional private mutations C5211T, G6267A, T14025C & C16147G of which the first three mutations are found in two current kits in a subbranch of W3a1c.

“Mathieson et al 2018” describes a Bronze Age W3a1 female I4332 from Veliki Vanik near Vrgorac along the Dalmatian coast of Croatia, dated to 1730-1530 BC. She was found in a grave mound together with hair ornament made of coiled copper wire and fragments of pottery. This individual has no additional private mutations.

“Brandt et al 2013” also lists two separate finds from the Unetice culture from two graves at Quedlinburg in Germany, that are classified by the authors as W3a1, but we do not have access to the full sequences, so we cannot decide if they belong to a subbranch or not.

More generally, from ancient autosomal DNA as well as the respective ancient mtDNA, we know that Europe experienced at least two population turnovers:

The Neolithic farming migration probably brought W lineages into Europe for the first time. We know some of these were W1 with T119C. The oldest known W1+T119C ancient individual analysed is over 8.000 years old from Barcin in Turkey. W5 appears to have arrived in the Neolithic of Europe as well.

The second population turnover brought the Ancient North Eurasian component into Europe and India during the Copper and Bronze Ages. This event seems to have brought a number of W branches - W3 and W6 into Europe and India from the Central Asian Steppes. This Ancestral North Eurasian component seems to be associated with the people thought to have brought the Indo-European languages into Europe called Yamnaya. We see a similar flow eastwards towards Iran & India in most of the subgroups of W, and even as far as Thailand & Laos in W3a1b.

This thread has been viewed 11448 times.

Back