Winnie the Pooh characters have psychiatric disorders

Wow, Eeyore's depression symptoms are even more disturbingly realistic in this clip :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQI0E1WCLMU

It's so sad :(. But I'm amazed at how deep these shows can get, even in spite of being geared towards children.

I read the full set of Winnie-the-pooh a couple of times to my kids when they were little, and I always thought something similar about Eeyore.

There's a really poignant bit somewhere in the books - actually, I just went and got it out, it's one of the very few children's books I've kept close at hand, its such a nice set of books.

It's from the second book: The House at Pooh Corner, the final story: An Enchanted Place.

Christopher Robin knows he will soon start school, so he is having a bit of a heart-to-heart with Winnie-the-pooh:

Then suddenly again, Christopher Robin who was still looking at the world with his chin in his hands, called out
"Pooh!"
'Yes?' said Pooh.
"When I'm - when - Pooh!'
'Yes, Christopher Robin?'
'I'm not going to do Nothing any more.'
'Never again?'
'Well, not so much. They don't let you.'
Pooh waited for him to go on, but he was silent again.
'Yes, Christopher Robin?' said Pooh helpfully.
'Pooh, when I'm - you know - when I'm not doing Nothing, will you come up here sometimes?'
'Just Me?'
'Yes, Pooh.'
'Will you be here too?'
'Yes, Pooh, I will be really. I promise I will be, Pooh.'
'That's good,' said Pooh.
'Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred.'
Pooh thought for a little.
'How old shall I be then?'
'Ninety-nine.'
Pooh nodded.
'I promise,' he said.
Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.
'Pooh,' said Christopher Robin earnestly, 'if I - if I'm not quite - ' he stopped and tried again - 'Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand won't you?'
'Understand what?'
'Oh nothing.' He laughed and jumped to his feet. 'Come on!'
'Where?' said Pooh.
'Anywhere,' said Christopher Robin.

This thread has been viewed 2235 times.

Back