If Azeris are European, why can't Turkey be part of the European nations?

Seanp

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Neapolitan, Swiss, Slavic
I think Turkey and Turks as a nation and ethnicity can be regarded as much European as Azerbaijan is.

Edit: Maybe i posted in the wrong sub forum. "Ethno-Cultural Discussion" would fit better for this subject.

Culturally, economically, politically Turkey seems more Westernized, while Azerbaijan as a nation and ethnicity are rather on the Middle Eastern side on the spectrum.

I've nothing against Azeris, but it's just as much a far stretch if someone would say Israel can be part of the European community despite the completely different cultural basis and laws.
The closest groups in Europe living today to Azeris in terms of culture may be Tatar groups and the Turkish minority in the Balkans, with a far stretch I'd say Gagauzes and the Muslim part of the Balkans.

I think Turkey and Turks as a nation and ethnicity can be regarded as much European as Azerbaijan is.

This is the first time, I am hearing that

Azeris, European?

Huge part of Azerbaijan is in northwestern part of Iran. Is Iran also 'European'? Maybe also India and China? Azeris are not European at all and have nothing to do with Europe...

Huge part of Azerbaijan is in northwestern part of Iran. Is Iran also 'European'? Maybe also India and China? Azeris are not European at all and have nothing to do with Europe...

Europe is a political term and barely has/had ever any considerable genetic, cultural homogenity for the whole continent i don't see how it's a problem. I don't want to get involved in the quality of what being European means or not. In 50 years more or less the average French or Dutch will be of Maghrebi, Balkan, Turkish descent.
Geographically vise even parts of Iberia belong to the African continent by proper measures.

Europe is a political term and barely has/had ever any considerable genetic, cultural homogenity for the whole continent i don't see how it's a problem. I don't want to get involved in the quality of what being European means or not. In 50 years more or less the average French or Dutch will be of Maghrebi, Balkan, Turkish descent.
Geographically vise even parts of Iberia belong to the African continent by proper measures.
You can see here South Azerbaijan as part of Iran. Is that part also Europe?

08.jpg

m18859_ir.png

Culturally and linguistically Azeris are Turkic and therefore 'Eastern'..

Europe is a political term and barely has/had ever any considerable genetic, cultural homogenity for the whole continent

Totally I agree

I don't want to get involved in the quality of what being European means or not.

It is too late. You are already in it. :grin:

Then why the heck would you say that Azeris are "European"??????

The problem is Europeans thinking to much about word European.

Example Goga used linguistic as a criteria.
So Georgian, Hungaria & Finland are out, Kurds and Persian in?

Another Example: Genetic
What will be do with Haplogroup I people (ydna) They lived before the European migration from steppes?

Geography:
cyprus-map.gif

Sorry Seanp, but this is dead born topic. There is no end. It is chaotic.

Then why the heck would you say that Azeris are "European"??????

I used it as a sort of reverse psychology, because normally everybody says on these forums how European they're but forget the origin "Europe" is a Phoenician term and never used before. The modern Europe is mostly a Neo Imperialistic community which has no other interest than convince Eastern nations to join in order and take advantage of their relatively cheap workforce capital gain by investments and the appear of Multinational corporations of French and other Western interests.

The problem is Europeans thinking to much about word European.

So Georgian, Hungaria & Finland are out, Kurds and Persian in?
Please, leave Kurds out. Kurdish is a West ASIAN (West Iranian/Aryan) language, native to Kurdistan since it was born in Kurdistan. Zagros Mountains are in West Asia. Ancestors of the Kurds, the Medes, were like Persians 'Aryan'/Iranian people. Aryan Medes and Aryan Persians were native to West ASIA. Nothing to do with Europe at all.

I'm taking geography & culture as a criteria. If people would take language as a criteria or even religion (Christianity), then New Zealand, Australia, Canada or even the whole North & South America should be part of Europe. English, Portuguese and Spanish are European languages.

ive never thought of azeris as European...neither do I considers Turkish European, they are something inbetween but mainly with a middleastern culture.

ive never thought of azeris as European...neither do I considers Turkish European, they are something inbetween but mainly with a middleastern culture.
Constantinople is Europe. It is part of the Hellenic Christian Orthodox world.

Georgian, Armenian and Kurdish parts of Anatolia are West Asia.

It is very simple.

People of Constantinople should ignore West Asian parts of Anatolia and join the EU without Near Easern parts of Anatolia..

Well, isn't Azerbaijan part of Eurovision?

(so is Australia, but that's another story....)

Well, isn't Azerbaijan part of Eurovision?

(so is Australia, but that's another story....)
So is Turkey. Turkey is also part of Eurovision, UEFA etc.

Azerbaijan was part of the USSR, the Soviet/'Russian' World. But the last 20 years Azeris are going back to Islam. Also, Azerbaijan is full of natural resources (oil & gas), that's why Europe is 'playing' with Azerbaijan. Even Hitler wanted to take Baku, Azerbaijan, oil rich Caspian Sea shores (remember the battle of Stalingrad).

Georgia, Armenia = Orthodox Christian
Azerbaijan = Sunni/Shia Muslim

I'm taking geography & culture as a criteria. If people would take language as a criteria or even religion (Christianity), then New Zealand, Australia, Canada or even the whole North & South America should be part of Europe. English, Portuguese and Spanish are European languages.

Don't Worry. I don't want to classify. My point it, it is useless talking about this issue.

Because as Seanp said, it is political. Nature don't give a shit like this is European-this is not

If the cold war continued and Iron-Curtain-Berlin didn't collapse, no body would query that Turkey is in Europe or not.

Yeah some part of South America and North America is more European then East Europe

Georgian, Armenian and Kurdish parts of Anatolia are West Asia.

It is very simple.

This is just simple geograph. It doesn't solve anything. Georgians and Armenians are also consider as European in some source.

Azeris? Armenians and Georgians are often considered European.

Mainly due to their culture, but genetic commonalities also exist.

Azeris? Armenians and Georgians are often considered European.

Mainly due to their culture, but genetic commonalities also exist.

People don't care about genetic but culture it's only important on far right forums like Theapricity and Stormfront. My impression is that There's no less or more European based on genetic. The major genetic ties in South Europe is shared with the Levant and the Greater Near East, while North Europeans have other genetic influences from Steppe and Eurasia which makes them district from South Europe.
Caucasians genetically pull closer to North Europe and more distant to Gulf Arabs than many South Europeans.

Boreas:
My point it[is], it is useless talking about this issue.

I couldn't have said it better. Some threads and posts should be ignored because they're wrong on so many levels that it would take days to go through it all.

This thread has been viewed 13691 times.

Back