Chemicals from 2 Mediterranean plants may delay neurodegenerative diseases

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
They're talking primarily about the *****ly pear and a certain type of seaweed, and the diseases they're primarily studying are Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

See:
Chemicals extracted from the *****ly pear and brown seaweed, two ubiquitous Mediterranean plants, have been elevated to possible drug candidates to combat the neurodegenerative disease
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170109102443.htm

"Chemicals extracted from the *****ly pear and brown seaweed, two ubiquitous Mediterranean plants, eased symptoms in organisms suffering from neurodegenerative disease, according to new research. Small molecules from the plants interfere with the build-up of sticky protein clumps rendering them less toxic to neurons. The results of the study hold promise for ground-breaking treatment of age-related diseases."

This seems pretty legit as they're trying to synthesize for human trials.

In case people don't know, this is the *****ly pear, which we call fichi d'India, or figs from India. It's part of the cactus family. The "fruit" is good to eat; just make sure to use heavy gloves to peel it because of the thorns. I've seen it sold in California, but almost never here.
;
iStock_000012205093XSmall.jpg

12773127235_7cd9ac51cd_z.jpg

Whoa Angela, watch your language ;) !!

Seriously, the censoring is mighty sensitive

they grow wild in heart of mediterrenean sea, very easy,
especially cyprus,
they make a fine tart!!!! alcohol liquors, and some cook them with meat!!!!

we call them φραγκοσυκα, Franc-fig, although origin is Mexico,

871784550bc70872acc0ae70f62490de_XL.jpg

plz except hands also protect your eyes
no need to bring hands near eyes if you catch or clean them

Whoa Angela, watch your language ;) !!

Seriously, the censoring is mighty sensitive

I just noticed that. How idiotic. That's its English name, for goodness' sakes. Am I supposed to make up another name? Thorny pear? Should I contact Webster's Dictionary? I guess we can no longer say *****ly heat, either? Or, nurses can't say, it won't hurt, it's just like a pin *****. :) I've worked among men all my professional life and yet I still don't think like them completely. At least once a day I would say something that got them sniggering, with no instinct for the fact it might have a sexual connotation until after they started laughing. Oy veh!

Can you imagine if this happened when people were talking and certain words or parts of words were muted? Like censored songs on certain radio stations. It might be nice actually. :)

Huh huh huh hey beavis huh huh she said

Is it the one that smells like a dead body. ;)

Last edited:
I just noticed that. How idiotic. That's its English name, for goodness' sakes. Am I supposed to make up another name? Thorny pear? Should I contact Webster's Dictionary? I guess we can no longer say *****ly heat, either? Or, nurses can't say, it won't hurt, it's just like a pin *****. :) I've worked among men all my professional life and yet I still don't think like them completely. At least once a day I would say something that got them sniggering, with no instinct for the fact it might have a sexual connotation until after they started laughing. Oy veh!

Can you imagine if this happened when people were talking and certain words or parts of words were muted? Like censored songs on certain radio stations. It might be nice actually. :)

Don't pull trigger cowboy,
thats the way it is milleniums now.

Is is the one that smells like a dead body. ;)

GOOD GRIEF, LeBrok!:LOL:

Does it really smell that way to you??? I don't remember it smelling that bad, but it's been years since I had it.

However, maybe it's what you're used to...some of my friends wrinkle up their noses at my pecorino toscano cheese, or anchovy paste, or even camembert like cheeses etc.

Speaking of dead body smells, my father used to go down to the harbor in La Spezia to wait for the maggot cheese from Sardinia which arrived once a week. Visually, in terms of smell, you name it...UGH!:petrified: This was one of the few times that my mother actually drew the line; he had to eat it outside. :)

casu-marzu-cheese-750x368.jpg

Just kidding. This is the one:
article-2249060-1686EC59000005DC-249_634x708.jpg

WOW! That's some plant and some stamen. I bet all the other plants in the neighborhood have an inferiority complex. :)

I don't think mediterennean has such plants.
it looks like a tropical plant,

that is a plantation,
they sell them to medical industry, patisserie for tartes/pies, and markets,
it is not very profitable, but does not demand much care also,
with kiwi and kumquat makes fantastic marmelade,
and also used for liquors,
the fruit has a little stiff taste as all cactus, but is very juicy,

fragosyko-italia.jpg

in North Greece you can raise the cactus, but every few years, plant gets wounded by frost, cold weather,
and almost 0 production, perhaps a few if the winter was not cold.
it is rich in K 110-140 mg per 100 gr
and has 80 mg of vitamin C per 100 gr
and very low in Na.

the leaves, like aloe vera ones, are used for medical care, (collagen)

Anchovy paste? I'll take the (non anchovy) carcass smell any day!

Maggot cheese sounds awesome! I'm so trying that! The rotten cheese smell reminds me of undergrad when I would walk into the computer lab with my lunch consisting of 2 chocolate NesQuicks and mozzarella string cheese left rotting in my pockets. On a hot May afternoon, I would pull out a string cheese and free it from its plastic wrap and the smell was total cow butt! I can't imagine cheese smelling worse than that.

This thread has been viewed 6019 times.

Back