Controversy over 23andme's new ancestry timeline

Never mind, found it.

Seems kinda right, but is not totally spot on.

Biggest issue I that is does not take note of Broadly Ancestry. I have 20% Broadly Southern Euro for example, while my Italian is 36%

Last edited:
Its only useful for people who dont know how to do simple math, to calculate how many generations 25% of something is.

^ My R1b2a12d was updated to R-PF6570.[h=2][/h]

For the sake of clarity, neither I nor the site endorse any statements about 23andme "stealing" medical information. That is libel and could be actionable in a court of law. I would advise posters to be wary of making such inflammatory statements.

I can't comment on the new ancestry results at 23andme because I didn't pay for the updates.

However, I really don't get the harshness of Ms. Estes' comments.

You can't assume that there is going to be a one to one correspondence between a genealogy tree and genetic results. Recombination means that certain ancestors will just drop out. That's why full brother and sister can get slightly different results. If you're going to explain dna to other people, I'd think that you'd need to know that.

Ms. Estes also has a habit of blasting all the major dna companies. It was Ancestry Dna's turn not so long ago.

Fwiw, Ms. Estes has done a lot of genealogical analysis of the Melungeons, an SSA admixed group, and if I remember correctly, was skeptical of the dna analysis done of some of them.

@Firehaired,
Does it contradict what AC showed before?

She lost my attention when she said that she knows all the ancestors down the line. I think suggesting at least 64 of them till 6 generation. It could have been quite a feat and it only explains english and irish side. Further down the line and ancestors go into thousands, especially in populous and mobile country like USA. It is not secluded village somewhere in mountains of Europe. Technically she is not able to track all of them to make sure 23andMe is right or wrong. And of course she thought the English/Irish part, and any other listed ancestry, had to be born and come directly from England and their other indicated lands. She missed a fact that DNA can travel unchanged for generations and thousands of miles in some populations.
The problem is that genetic understanding and ancestry is not an easy subject for average person. These are new ideas and new concepts needing quite a bit of education and good imagination. So many, if not most, easily get confused. It reminds me of my recent explaining how it works to user Orca1.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/28682-Geno-2-0-results/page2?p=499687#post499687
I expect this problem getting worse with genetic testing getting more popular.

I dont think you have to pay for updates. its under the regular ancestry report. Just scroll down, its just a new lay out.

timeline.jpg

Not that bad. But like I said, It only thinks I have 1 Italian Grandparent, because it doe not pick up on broadly ancestry.

I can't find it either.

23andme's description of the Ancestry TimeLine States...
"This module uses your Ancestry Composition results to estimate the generation range where you are likely to have had a single relative who descended from a single population."

23andme might determine your Ancestry Timeline by guessing that the ancestor population who contributed the most ancestry to you is the ancestor population who contributed to you in its pure form most recently. I said their results for me are 80% not 100% correct because they predicted I have a pure British grandparent or great grandparent or great great grandparent which I don't. So, if you're Latino they'll probably predict you had a pure Spanish and a pure Native American grandparent or great or great great grandparent.

This ancestry timeline sounds like a great idea. I don't have the latest version of 23andMe, so I won't be able to check it though.

She lost my attention when she said that she knows all the ancestors down the line. I think suggesting at least 64 of them till 6 generation. It could have been quite a feat and it only explains english and irish side. Further down the line and ancestors go into thousands, especially in populous and mobile country like USA. It is not secluded village somewhere in mountains of Europe. Technically she is not able to track all of them to make sure 23andMe is right or wrong. And of course she thought the English/Irish part, and any other listed ancestry, had to be born and come directly from England and their other indicated lands. She missed a fact that DNA can travel unchanged for generations and thousands of miles in some populations.
The problem is that genetic understanding and ancestry is not an easy subject for average person. These are new ideas and new concepts needing quite a bit of education and good imagination. So many, if not most, easily get confused. It reminds me of my recent explaining how it works to user Orca1.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/28682-Geno-2-0-results/page2?p=499687#post499687
I expect this problem getting worse with genetic testing getting more popular.

I can totally see how that could be confusing. Just curious, how feasible would it be for every DNA companies to show their reference populations to the public?

This thread has been viewed 6799 times.

Back