7 ka mesolithic warriors in Siberia ?

A collective burial mound indicates the 'destruction of collectivism'? Curious interpretation.

There they go again with calling these people Neolithic. I'm sure they only had ceramics.

In Russia Neolithic means pottery not agriculture.

The term originally (way way back) referred to societies that used ground (rather than flaked) stone tools, pottery, and agriculture, which at the time all seemed to go together. But of course that turned out not to be the case.

In the West archaeologists came to consider food production the key element, but in Russia it was pottery. In Southeast Asian archaeology you can still find ground tools (which may be from the Palaeolithic) referred to as "neoliths", or "proto-neoliths" if they are only ground on the edge.

Anyway, once you go east of the former Iron Curtain the meaning changes.

In Russia Neolithic means pottery not agriculture.

The term originally (way way back) referred to societies that used ground (rather than flaked) stone tools, pottery, and agriculture, which at the time all seemed to go together. But of course that turned out not to be the case.

In the West archaeologists came to consider food production the key element, but in Russia it was pottery. In Southeast Asian archaeology you can still find ground tools (which may be from the Palaeolithic) referred to as "neoliths", or "proto-neoliths" if they are only ground on the edge.

Anyway, once you go east of the former Iron Curtain the meaning changes.
One could hope that journalists and translators to english would realise that.

Yes, I know why they do it, but it's not a very helpful usage when you're trying to understand West Eurasian genetics from the standpoint of the movement of people out of the Near East about 8-9.000 years ago.

Plus, as Marko pointed out, the researcher's statement seems rather strange. Perhaps he was misquoted.

I think the researcher is using basically Marxist terminology, i.e. rather than "destruction of collectivism during the Neolithic" we would say evidence of the formation of a stratified society with elite getting special treatment, rather than egalitarianism, while people were still foragers without livestock and metals.

IMO translating the terminology from Neolithic > Mesolithic would only add to the confusion. But it would be helpful if reporters would mention that Russian Neolithic is not the same as Western Neolithic, for the benefit of the reader.

A-kurgan.jpg

]A burial mound accommodating the remains of nine individuals dated to the Stone Age has been unearthed in western Siberia. The discovery’s significance lies primarily in the fact that this kind of burial site was believed to have emerged later, in the Bronze Age, Russian media report.

The discovery was made by archaeologists and students from the Kemerovo State University. The head of the archaeology department at the university, Vladimir Bobrov, told Interfax that common opinion in archaeological circles is that these kinds of burial mound, called kurgans and associated mostly with the Scythians, appeared in the Bronze Age, “after the discovery of the alloy.” The mound in Vengerovsky region, however, has been dated to between the sixth or fifth millennium BCE, in the Neolithic. Earlier finds have suggested that Neolithic people buried their dead in individual graves or at most buried two people in the same grave, which was no more than a hole in the ground, Bobrov explained.

This mound, however, was completely different. For one thing, it resembles a house rather than a grave. For another, it contains the remains of no less than nine people: men, women, and children, plus a stone axe and a horn-tipped arrow. To make things even more fascinating, the researchers working at the site found that the people had not all been buried in the kurgan simultaneously. Some of the occupants were laid to rest there originally, but others were initially buried elsewhere and only later moved to the mound.

I hope the warrior has Hg R1a, or R1b. I always think that R people built mound but Q people pyramid.
Another thing is it looks like house. So I think it can be explained that the mound originated in pit-house in coldest area. Moreover this culture people might migrate in middle east also.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Etruscan tombs:
oldest-Etruscan-tombs.jpg

It just occurred to me that the interpretation might have been a result of unfamiliarity with West European Neolithic burial rites. The collective work-in-progress tumuli were of course very common further west, especially along the Atlantic facade. In German texts the Neolithic tumuli and the eastern Kurgans are usually both considered to be part of the 'Hügelgräber' phenomenon, with the exception that the latter were single-grave burials.

It just occurred to me that the interpretation might have been a result of unfamiliarity with West European Neolithic burial rites. The collective work-in-progress tumuli were of course very common further west, especially along the Atlantic facade. In German texts the Neolithic tumuli and the eastern Kurgans are usually both considered to be part of the 'Hügelgräber' phenomenon, with the exception that the latter were single-grave burials.

single grave or communal graves, these large monuments are built with a purpose
and I think it is a claim from the tribe or its rulers, that this is 'their territory' because it was like that since generations

http://archive.archaeology.org/online/features/neolithic/

A burial mound accommodating the remains of nine individuals dated to the Stone Age has been unearthed in western Siberia. The discovery’s significance lies primarily in the fact that this kind of burial site was believed to have emerged later, in the Bronze Age, Russian media report.

I think there is already a stone age kurgan(mound) in the lake baikal, which might be connected to tons of kurgan mounds in the U.S. However, I don't understand the reason why the kurgan mound started at bronze age.

"The Origin of the Prehistoric Mounds of Oregon"
THE QUARTERLY of the. Oregon Historical Society. VOLUME XXIII JUNE, 1922 NUMBER 2. Copyright, 1921, by the Oregon Historical Society.
https://archive.org/stream/jstor-20610205/20610205_djvu.txt

It is appropriate to show the probable relationship of the mound builders of Oregon to the primitively ancient people of northeastern Asia and Japan, who ex- isted there prior to the Bronze and Iron Age. In other words, the things exhumed from the Willamette and Cali- pooia mounds are clearly products of the Neolithic Age; and the skulls and relics therein found indicate a rela- tionship to a people anterior to the modern Mongolian. In Siberia these mounds are called by the present inhabi- tants "chudski kurgani" or "chudish graves"; the term "chude" indicating a vanished and unknown race. A probable connection of these mounds with the men of the stone age is shown by the fact that some of the skulls found in them, notably two from a mound near Kiahkta, south of Lake Baikal, are of the prehistoric rather than of the Mongolian type.
Mongolian skulls belong to the brachycephalic type, in which the breadth is more than 80 per cent of the length, but the two mentioned were distinctly dolicho-cephalic type, the breadth being a trifle over 73 per cent only of the length. In the Irkutsk museum may be seen many implements of stone, bone, and of hand-beaten copper ornaments which have been found in the burial mounds of Siberia. Implements of stone, bone, and rude hand-wrought native copper are precisely what was found in the burial mounds of the Calipooia, as will be later shown.nd to Japan there stretches an almost con- tinuous belt of prehistoric mounds that apparently have no connection with any of the races now occupying that region.

A mound having no bronze or iron implements or coins, and no manufactured article of modern times, hav- ing only the products of the stone age, and its builders of an unknown and vanished race, is termed a prehistoric mound, and that is the term to apply to the mounds of Linn county and of the Willamette valley. The museums of Siberia, and particularly that at Vladivostok, are rich in materials taken from the prehistoric burial mounds of that section. All things point to a line of migration open in prehistoric times through Siberia across Bering strait into North America, over which there was free movement both for man and for the unwieldy mammoth, whose remains are found with man's all around the northern hemisphere, from Alaska eastward to Great Britain, and on through northern Europe and Asia back to Alaska.
The burial mounds of Oregon are only about four feet above the level and are from 75 to 150 feet in diameter. These mounds in western Oregon were prob- ably much higher when first built, but being composed of the rich soil of the land adjoining, soon settled and the storms of centuries have leveled them to their present low elevation, but the remains therein found prove them to be the burial mound of a chief of the stone age. The fire beds showing remains of ashes and charcoal over the chief skeleton in the mound furnish the reason for the preservation of the skeleton of him in whose honor the mound was erected.

This thread has been viewed 5825 times.

Back