Sex & Gender Married men earn more money, have better sex and better health?

Its a bit of a fantasy report

men regardless of relationship will react to how the women present themselves ...........for a man it does not matter if there is marriage or not.

the other fantasy is the one about ------------a way to a man's heart is trough his stomach .........:useless:.

Dating must be soooooo stressful. ;)

Dating must be soooooo stressful. ;)

The article made it sound like most single men are living in a constant state of sexual frustration, as well as throwing their money away and living a very unhealthy lifestyle . :)

I think, as the researchers themselves admit, it might just be a case where more health conscious, mentally stable, stable, sensible types are the ones who choose to get married.

On the other hand, it might be true for some men. My dad always claimed that if he hadn't met and married my mother he would have died (either from cigarettes or drink or a vengeful husband) broke. He certainly never saved a dime before he married her despite being paid extremely well for that period in Europe; it all got eaten up buying expensive tuxedos, and wine and cigars, and meals, and at the tables in Monte Carlo. He had fond memories though, he said. :)

I think, as the researchers themselves admit, it might just be a case where more health conscious, mentally stable, stable, sensible types are the ones who choose to get married.
That's what I tell my daughters. Don't wait too long as the good guys get "snatched" quickly.

On the other hand, it might be true for some men. My dad always claimed that if he hadn't met and married my mother he would have died (either from cigarettes or drink or a vengeful husband) broke. He certainly never saved a dime before he married her despite being paid extremely well for that period in Europe; it all got eaten up buying expensive tuxedos, and wine and cigars, and meals, and at the tables in Monte Carlo. He had fond memories though, he said. :)
I can see that living lonely after 50 can be very depressing for many, life not being worth much.

I love being single! It gives me freedom to do more of what I want! I have enough friends to keep the loneliness thing at bay.

Aaaaaaaah the joys of wearing Tony The Tiger pajama pants. Yep, I have those.

The problem, as always with these kinds of issues, is that you can find studies supporting competing theories. That's why I'm skeptical of a lot of them, including the one I posted.

In this particular case there are also a lot of studies that purport to show that the happiest people are married men and single women, which is irony indeed, if true, given that so many women really want to get married and so many men seek to avoid it at all costs.

See:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-it-true-single-women-and-married-men-do-best

Some of the "facts" he cites:
"One of the most reliable sex differences in reactions to marriage is in who files for divorce. This difference has been documented at least as far back as 1867, and it is still true now, in Europe, Australia, and the U.S. Who is more likely to walk away from a marriage? Women. They initiated about 62 percent of divorces in the U.S. in 1867, and that number is now closer to 70 percent.Some marriages end with the death of a spouse, and that can be deeply distressing for both men and women. There are indications, though, that women adapt faster to bereavement than men do.
Once a marriage ends, for whatever reason, women are much less likely than men to try it again. Rates of remarriage are almost twice as high for men as for women. Some of that can be explained by more advantageous sex ratios for men who want to remarry than women, but that is unlikely to be the entire explanation for such a big difference."

Just anecdotally, those three things ring true.

See also:
"A recent study of seniors in the U.S. found that in several important ways, women do better than men when living alone, whereas men do relatively better when they live with other people—typically, a wife. One example is the time that they have for their own hobbies and interests: Women have more time to pursue their own interests when they live alone, whereas men have more time to do what they like when they live with someone else. Another example is the question of how satisfied seniors are with the number of friends that they have. Women are always more satisfied with the number of friends they have, whether they live alone or with someone else. But the difference is bigger when they are living alone—71 percent of the women, but only 48 percent of the men, are satisfied with the number of friends they have."

So, I guess it's pick your study.

Hmm. I guess that depends on your personality traits and priorities. I know for some men dating many women can be a huge motivator and success in business being a catalyst. Others, often with established businesses and sometimes empires enjoying the stability. As for better sex ... it depends whether or not the person you have found is right (perfect) for you. If that is the case, I completely agree with the article.

This thread has been viewed 4834 times.

Back