Afanasievo was R1b1a2

Fire Haired14

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b DF27*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a2b1
Peuplement du sud de la sibérie et de I’ Altaï à I’âge du Bronze : apport de la paléogénétique

That French Thesis presents Y DNA, mtDNA, and hand picked SNP results for many ancient northern Asians.
Y DNA results pg. 88
mtDNA results pg. 80
Pigmentation SNP results pg. 180
Description of Archaeological Sites pg. 44

Here are the Y DNA results of the ancient northern Asians...

Afanasevo Culture, 3600-2600 BC
R1b1a2-M269, R1b1a2-M269, R1b1a(xR1b1a1 M73)

Bol'shemysskaya Culture. Eneolithic.
R1b1a2-M269

Okunevo Culture, 2300-1800 BC
NO(xO), NO(xO), NO(xO), Q1a3a-L54, Q1a3-M346(xL54), R1b1a2-M269.

Munkh-Khairkhan Culture, 1700-1400 BC
NO(xO), NO(xO)

Sagsai Culture, 1400-900 BC
Q1a3a-L54, Q1a3a-L54, Q1a3a-L54, R1a-Z93, R1a-Z93, R1a-Z93, C-M130

I'll make a post at my blog about ancient North Asian mtDNA soon. The mtDNA results from this thesis are similar to already released results of ancient North Asians from the same time period. The only differnce are orignally Near Eastern lineages which Afanasevo introduced; T2a1b, H6, J.

T2a1b has been found in Yamnaya and Afanasievo already. H6 has been found in Afanasevo, Yamnaya, Catacomb, and all Steppe admixed cultures in Europe.

Several Afanasievo indviduals from this thesis and a recently published paper have East Asian mHGs. This is surprising because Afanasievo genomes are identical to Yamnaya, they have no East Asian admixture.

Reactions: Dov
Afanasevo results in pigmentation SNPs. These results are consistent with results from Yamnaya.

Indvidual ID, rs16891982, rs12913832, mtDNA
Kh19: CG, A, mHG C
Kh20: G, AG, mHG C
Kh21: CG, G, mHG H6
Kh22: C, A, mHG U4
Aaf2: G, AG, mHG H?
Aaf3: C, --, mHG U5a1d2b
Maf1: CG, A, H?

@Fire-Haired,

The Altai is not North Asia. Even if it were, these people didn't "originate" there.

The pigmentation makes sense if Afanasievo is an offshoot of eastern Yamnaya. Not blonde cowboys of the steppe, I'm afraid.

Thanks. As expected, the offshoot of eastern(?) Yamnaya.
Some reconstruction:

Afanasevo Culture
35a27e7e1333.jpg

Bol'shemysskaya Culture
833645_bf93038edbe4911247f1ff32304def35.png_srz_290_448_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Okunevo Culture
1399000657_58503200.png

Have Okunevo and subsequent culture been tested for EDAR and other Mongoloïd traits?
The reconstructions are Caucasoid.

Thanks. As expected, the offshoot of eastern(?) Yamnaya.
Some reconstruction:

Afanasevo Culture

Bol'shemysskaya Culture

Okunevo Culture
1399000657_58503200.png

I don't think okunevo people looks like that. However, okunevo and afanasievo Y seem to explain all things well.
by the way, what kind of culture is Bol'shemysskaya Culture?

The Okunev tribes of the Minusinsk Basin, those associated with Karakol, Ust-Tartas, and Krotovo cultures as well those buried in “Andronoid” cemeteries of Western Siberia at Yelovka II and Cherno-ozerye were apparently descendants of the local Neolithic tribes. All these groups display highly peculiar and apparently very ancient trait combinations which could hardly have resulted from an admixture between Mongoloids and Caucasoids. The role of the European component in their origins remains unclear.
CRANIOMETRIC EVIDENCE OF THE EARLY CAUCASOID MIGRATIONS TO SIBERIA AND EASTERN CENTRAL ASIA, WITH REFERENCE TO THE INDO-EUROPEAN PROBLEM Article (PDF Available) in Archaeology Ethnology and Anthropology of Eurasia 37(4):125-136 · December 2009
by AG Kozintsev

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/33566-Was-Afontova-Gora-an-ancestor-of-Afanasievo-yamna-or-not

Afanasevo results in pigmentation SNPs. These results are consistent with results from Yamnaya.

Indvidual ID, rs16891982, rs12913832, mtDNA
Kh19: CG, A, mHG C
Kh20: G, AG, mHG C
Kh21: CG, G, mHG H6
Kh22: C, A, mHG U4
Aaf2: G, AG, mHG H?
Aaf3: C, --, mHG U5a1d2b
Maf1: CG, A, H?
Yes, they are almost exactly like East Yamnayans. Probably a bit more northern or eastern as they mixed less with Transcaucasian immigrants. They had a bit less Baloch and Caucasian and a bit more NE Euro than Yamnaya. Otherwise 90% exactly same genetics. They had 1.5% more Siberian, but otherwise 0% SE Asian, so no East Asiatic/Mongoloid admixtures yet.

M828784 Rise511 M343758 I0443
Afanasievo Yamnaya
Run time 9.70 Run time 9.86
S-Indian - S-Indian -
Baloch 28.13 Baloch 30.37
Caucasian 2.18 Caucasian 6.26
NE-Euro 63.76 NE-Euro 58.91
SE-Asian - SE-Asian -
Siberian 1.64 Siberian 0.13
NE-Asian - NE-Asian -
Papuan - Papuan -
American 3.56 American 2.00
Beringian - Beringian 1.31
Mediterranean - Mediterranean 0.87
SW-Asian - SW-Asian -
San - San -
E-African - E-African -
Pygmy - Pygmy -
W-African 0.72 W-African 0.13

Have Okunevo and subsequent culture been tested for EDAR and other Mongoloïd traits?
The reconstructions are Caucasoid.
There have been a fully Mongoloid skulls and fully Europeoid skulls. Mongoloid skulls prevailed. It's just a reconstruction of Europeoids.

Not blonde cowboys of the steppe, I'm afraid.
Blonde cowboys were Andronovo, Sintashta, Potapovka and Srubnaya, I think.

My motto has become never trust reconstructions based just on skulls or parts of skulls. A lot of fantasy goes into them unless you have desiccated mummies like Otzi, which give a lot more information, and even then be a little skeptical.

SHG also had EDAR.

I wasn't discussing anything but Afanasievo, so all the Eurogenes fan boys can relax.

Still, I think it's pretty clear that "Fairness" did not come from Yamnaya itself, unless the western more admixed populations of the total Yamnaya horizon carried it.

On Jean's page, I don't see any results for pigmentation for Srubnaya. Andronovo has a brown hair and brown eyes, although a lot of light eyes as well. I don't see any results from Sintashta. Maybe more modern papers didn't test for it? I don't know.
http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/copperbronzeagedna.shtml

Maybe Fire-Haired has some other results.

Whatever, this is the least important part of this study.

I don't think okunevo people looks like that. However, okunevo and afanasievo Y seem to explain all things well.
But Russian anthropologists, who found there Mongoloid and Caucasoid skulls, think so.

CRANIOMETRIC EVIDENCE OF THE EARLY CAUCASOID MIGRATIONS TO SIBERIA AND EASTERN CENTRAL ASIA, WITH REFERENCE TO THE INDO-EUROPEAN PROBLEM Article (PDF Available) in Archaeology Ethnology and Anthropology of Eurasia 37(4):125-136 · December 2009
by AG Kozintsev
According to A.V. Gromov, Okunevo is a mixed culture consisting of newcomers Afanasevan and local Neolithic (Mongoloid) population. And the result of Y DNA confirm this.
Also Caucasoid skulls of Okunevo similar to the Yamnaya of Kalmykia and Astrakhan, and have a similar artificial deformation. (Gromov 2002)

Also Caucasoid skulls of Okunevo similar to the Yamnaya of Kalmykia and Astrakhan, and have a similar artificial deformation. (Gromov 2002)

I think Okunevo genetics admixture agrees with AG Kozintsev's 2009 reserach.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/33566-Was-Afontova-Gora-an-ancestor-of-Afanasievo-yamna-or-not

By the way, did okunevo and Yamnaya's skulls have a deformation also like afanasievo's?

One more, I cannot find the information about Bol'shemysskaya Culture.
can you give me information about that culture?

By the way, did okunevo and Yamnaya's skulls have a deformation also like afanasievo's?
Nothing said about it. Presumably, the deformation was due to the similarity of designs children's cradles.

One more, I cannot find the information about Bol'shemysskaya Culture.
can you give me information about that culture?
Mixed Caucasoid-Mongoloid population, according to the link. Not so much info, only in Russian, try Google-translate:
http://altarcheomuseum.wixsite.com/altai-archeology/eneolithic
http://new.hist.asu.ru/biblio/borod1/254-261.html

I think Okunevo genetics admixture agrees with AG Kozintsev's 2009 reserach.

The Yeniseian cultures gave birth to the cultural superstrate of the steppe that persisted well into historic times (and arguably still exists among extant Siberian & Eastern European populations). People of variegated background and morphology would probably have assimilated into this umbrella. Russian archaeologists sometimes misleadingly refer cultures of this typology as 'Scythic' (as opposed to 'Scythian', which is used to denote Iranian linguistic affiliation), but 'Siberian' would probably more appropriate since due to its origin in Okunevo.

The Yeniseian cultures gave birth to the cultural superstrate of the steppe that persisted well into historic times (and arguably still exists among extant Siberian & Eastern European populations). People of variegated background and morphology would probably have assimilated into this umbrella. Russian archaeologists sometimes misleadingly refer cultures of this typology as 'Scythic' (as opposed to 'Scythian', which is used to denote Iranian linguistic affiliation), but 'Siberian' would probably more appropriate since due to its origin in Okunevo.
The longest genetic close continuity of steppe nations (that we found so far) is so far Yamnaya-Afansievo-Scythian:
Yamnaya
M828815 Rise552 M828784Rise511M348213i0247
Ulan iV, Yamnaya 4.5 kya Afanasievoscythian
Run time 9.08Run time9.7Run time11.07
S-Indian - S-Indian- S-Indian0.67
Baloch 33.24Baloch28.13Baloch24.99
Caucasian 6.58Caucasian2.18Caucasian7.68
NE-Euro 56.02NE-Euro63.76NE-Euro45.27
SE-Asian - SE-Asian- SE-Asian0.83
Siberian - Siberian1.64Siberian6.39
NE-Asian - NE-Asian- NE-Asian1.31
Papuan - Papuan- Papuan-
American 2.46American3.56American2.85
Beringian 0.75Beringian- Beringian1.4
Mediterranean - Mediterranean- Mediterranean8.62
SW-Asian - SW-Asian- SW-Asian-
San - San- San-
E-African - E-African- E-African-
Pygmy - Pygmy- Pygmy-
W-African 0.95W-African0.72W-African-

finally we see some more of the advance of Y-DNA N westbound into Siberia
it's a pitty we don't have any subclades, just NOxO

till now we just had 1 individual N in Smolensk area 4.5 ka and the 'K' in Bajkal Kitoi, which IMO is N, though we don't have subclades there either

what is Munkh-Khairkhan Culture, 1700-1400 BC ?

The haplogroup of Munkh-Khairkhan samples is not clear. On the basis of SNP it is defined NO-214 and on the basis of DYS values C3 with only 55.4% and 77.1% probability.

SHG also had EDAR.

Pretty much everyone in this study had EDAR except Afanasuvo.

On Jean's page, I don't see any results for pigmentation for Srubnaya. Andronovo has a brown hair and brown eyes, although a lot of light eyes as well. I don't see any results from Sintashta. Maybe more modern papers didn't test for it? I don't know.
http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/copperbronzeagedna.shtml

Maybe Fire-Haired has some other results.

Srubnaya and Sintashta results are the same as Andronovo so far.

This thread has been viewed 26281 times.

Back