ANE substrate in NW European genotype and phenotype!?

Northener

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
NW Euro
Y-DNA haplogroup
E1b1b/ E-V22
Last week I compared my North Dutch autosomal DNA trough Gedmatch with ancient DNA. Especially two results made me curios:

- Ust-Ishim Siberia 45kya up to 6cM, Omsk
- Clovis Montana 12,5 kya up to 4cM, Native America

Acoording to ISOGG:"For fully identical regions the threshold is 5 cMs/ 500 SNPs." So these results are pretty high, especially the Ust-Ishim.

Both results Ust-Ishim and Clovis Montana are pointing at the Ancient North Euroasian (ANE), which according to Haak e.a. (2015) si one of the founding populations of the modern Europeans. So these ANE has left trace in my autosomal DNA in my genotype.

But has this left also traces in my familial phenotype, the physical features? Thinking about my (grand)parents it went to my mind that especially my grandmother (fathers' side) was a tall and broad headed person. Did she have ANE features?

This leads to the question is there an ANE-like phenotype? There is of course no 'pure" ANE population. But looking at the ANE component in modern populations, the ANE percentage is the highest in the Siberian populations of the Kets (28% and in some individuals of it up to 67%) and in neighboring Selkup. This is the heat map of Eurogenes:
mmeiht.jpg

In Europe the highest ANE component can be found along the Balts, the ANE is there 18,5%. But does this result in a specific phenotype, in some specific physical features?

In old days anthropologists like the Swede Rolf Nordenstreng or later on the American Charleston Coon used the term "East Baltic". This was described in racial terms. I don't share that. But in my eyes is what they did is try to 'capture' an ANE-like phenotype (although of course the term ANE didn't exist).

They described the 'East Baltic' as:
"This race also was large, although not as large as the Nordic race. The body of the East Balts was described as strong with broad shoulders, short legs and the face was wide and angular. The arches of the cheeks are said to be wider than among other European races (except the Lapps). The nose is low from its root and is projecting outwards only from its wide tip. The head looks large and the face is large, flat and angular. The body is stocky but flexible."

And Hilden (1958)
"Body strongly built and stocky, large, short head, wide and square shaped face, strongly emphasized arches of the cheek, comparably wide nose which was low from its root."

At that time all were referring to some kind of 'mongoloid' traces....I would say ANE.

Whit this in my mind I compared photo's of my grandmother with photo's of a 'east baltic' woman, a native American, a Selkup grandmother and a a more blurred, but still recognizable, photo of an old Ket women (1914). And indeed i guess there is a clear resemblance in phenotype! My grandmother was indeed ANE-like...I guess.

Question: is this, see the photo's below, indeed the ANE-like phenotype? What's your opinion? Look to the eyes, nose and cheeks, the total facial impression.

- my grandmother:
28v5eh4.jpg

- 'east baltic women':
2vmu8fd.jpg

- native American:
wbcrx3.jpg

- Selkup grandmother:
2w54rjt.jpg

- Ket women (1914):
1z55gdw.jpg

This thread has been viewed 2806 times.

Back