Some clarification please

Bear264

Reaction score

Hello everyone :) I am new to the group and am looking for some possible help with my FamilyTreeDNA Y-Haplogroup. I have been recorded as M253, DF29, Z58,Z59,Z140,Z141,and Z2535 so I purchased an SNP update and I came out as an I-YSC0000261. Can anyone tell me where this would be? I am trying to locate my paternal ancestral home. Using traditional genealogical methods I have gotten back only as far as the early 19th century with my father's ancestors from Scotland. Traditionally, Robertsons (Donnachaidh in Gaelic) are one of Scotland's oldest clans and descend from ancient Picts and Irish Gaels. Clan lands were located in central Scotland in Perthshire. My people lived in Northeastern Scotland in the area of Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen. I think I was reading here that I Haplogroup extends back 23,000 years? Well, if this is Scandinavian in origin, how can it be Anglo-Saxon or Germanic? Can anyone tell me anything about the subclade (if it is one) of I-YSC0000261? Where am I from? Thanks for your help!!

Bear264

I don't have time to look into it but I thought Z58 was common in Anglo-Saxons. www.yfull.com

From our wonderful site:

Z58+
is chiefly West Germanic, with a very strong presence in Germany, the Low Countries and Britain. It is also found to a lower extent in Nordic countries and throughout Continental Europe. Its age has been estimated around 4,600 years before present.

Z59+
is the main branch of Z58.

Z2535+
is a very large clade found in Scandinavia, Britain, Germany, Czechia, Poland and Romania.

And from Yfull.com list, there are several subclades of Y261. Many of them are tagged as England, Scotland, Ireland, or Great Britain. Some are also tagged for other places such as Norway. The estimated ages of formation and most recent common relative can be useful. Any that are mutations after your people ended up in Scotland are mostly irrelevant.

At this point I'd say it's highly likely that your ancestors got their Y from Anglo-Saxons. I'm not an expert on Anglo-Saxon culture, time of formation, etc. It might not be a "genesis" of pure Angle or Saxon origin but rather those are the cultures where the yDNA proliferated.

View attachment 8806View attachment 8807 Bear264.jpgBear2.jpg

Hello everyone :) I am new to the group and am looking for some possible help with my FamilyTreeDNA Y-Haplogroup. I have been recorded as M253, DF29, Z58,Z59,Z140,Z141,and Z2535 so I purchased an SNP update and I came out as an I-YSC0000261. Can anyone tell me where this would be? I am trying to locate my paternal ancestral home. Using traditional genealogical methods I have gotten back only as far as the early 19th century with my father's ancestors from Scotland. Traditionally, Robertsons (Donnachaidh in Gaelic) are one of Scotland's oldest clans and descend from ancient Picts and Irish Gaels. Clan lands were located in central Scotland in Perthshire. My people lived in Northeastern Scotland in the area of Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen. I think I was reading here that I Haplogroup extends back 23,000 years? Well, if this is Scandinavian in origin, how can it be Anglo-Saxon or Germanic? Can anyone tell me anything about the subclade (if it is one) of I-YSC0000261? Where am I from? Thanks for your help!!

Bear264

It's is really not so simple to attach a y-DNA haplogroup to an ancient ETHNIC group, but it can be theorized that the Anglo-Saxons or similar people would have carried I-Z58 and its descendant SNPs. Keep in mind that tribal affiliations or cultural affiliations were more fluid in the past than we think.

Scotland saw a wave of immigration from Anglo-Norman England and Flanders during the reign of King David I, he had many followers of Anglo-Norman/Flemish origin. We also must consider that part of Scotland (Lothian, and parts of Galloway) were under Anglo-Saxon rule under the Kingdom of Bernicia and later Northumbria. Their descendants may have moved north to Aberdeen for various reasons. We should also consider Anglo-Saxons fleeing the Normans after the Battle of Hastings.

Also with a surname like Robertson, a patronymic, that if the name is not acquired through an NPE and from a man actually named Robert it may not be the same Robert who founded Clan Robertson. Same thing can be said for Clan Fergusson, Clan MacDonald, etc. I also have a patronymic surname traditionally associated with the Highlands, yet my Y-DNA appears to belong to I-Y3647!

I'm also this sub clade ( YSC0000261 ) I-S1954.
However, my ancestral paternal line is directly from Munsterland, North Rhine - Westfalen Germany. Before my great great grandfather immigrated from Germany to Holland, had a few families there, then immigrated to Australia. Is it normal for YSC0000261 to be in Munster, Germany?
( According to Morley haplogroup predictor, Im I1a2a1a1a. Any thoughts ?
The relatives that still live in Germany still refer to themselves ( loosely ) as lower saxons.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 5222 times.

Back