23andme Traits Results

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Do people who have tested with 23andme find that their "traits" results are accurate?

Pretty much mine are, except predicted "most likely curly hair", which is not right.

more wrong than right

Everything was correct for me.

In my case, more right than wrong. They missed just my mother's eyes and hair color, mine too, and my father's hair texture and freckling.
Gedmatch missed the eyes color of we all.

Last edited:
Mine are more or less correct as well. The pigmentation ones are totally correct: dark hair, brown eyes, very fair skin. They also got it right that I'm taller and and thinner than the average woman. They got my hair texture wrong too, LeBroc, or I don't understand their definition of "curly" hair. They say I have straight or wavy hair, and while it's wavy now, I would say it was curly when I was a child. Maybe they're talking about non-European curly for very curly, for example?

They did get it right that I was born with absolutely no hair on my head. My father used to say it looked like an egg! My daughter was the same. Fortunately, nowadays we have stick on bows. :) My son was born with a full head of shiny black hair, so I thought he'd have hair like his father. Instead, although it never fell out as is usually the case with babies, it inexplicably and strangely turned pale blonde, a color he kept till his teens. I've never figured that one out.

There are only three others that are questionable, but the algorithm is probably right about two of them, and I was interpreting the symptoms incorrectly. One is that it says I don't get the alcohol flush reaction. I used to get what I thought was the alcohol flush reaction but then realized it mostly happens after I drink more than a glass of wine. Hard alcohol doesn't seem to cause it, although I still don't like the other consequences. I think it might be the preservatives they put in wine. The other is that it says I'm lactose tolerant, and I've had problems with too much dairy starting in my 30s. I checked the snps, though, and I have both copies, so I think there's something else going on.

The third one is toe length, although it's only a slight difference. They say my big toe is larger. Actually, my big toe and the second one are the same length, so I definitely have some of that Greek and Roman toes thing.
"Scientific studies of toe length ratio first appeared in the late 19th century when British anthropologists wondered why ancient Greek and Roman statues had longer second toes than big toes."

Oh, and they're right: no cleft chin, no dimples, no widow's peak, although I had a very slight one when I was younger, I think. I don't have a unibrow either. I do wish they were thicker, though; you can always pluck the middle part.

We talked about cleft chins here once. This is what they have to say: "It is commonly thought that cleft chins result from an incomplete fusion of the bones of the jaw during fetal development. While cleft chin is not a simple dominant or recessive trait, it does tend to run in families. Some scientists think humans evolved a prominent chin to cope with increased stress on the jaw. Others theorize that the trait contributed to sexual attractiveness. It's also possible that it evolved for no reason at all."

All in all I think they did a very good job, which leads me to think that the disease probabilities are probably in the ball park as well.

@RegioX,
That's odd about the eye color. I thought that you either have the blue eye gene or you don't.

@RegioX,
That's odd about the eye color. I thought that you either have the blue eye gene or you don't.
Yes, it is, but we three don't have blue. The changes were brown to green and green to brown. In one case, perhaps it has something to do with a bit of yellow around the pupils.

Last edited:
They state black hair and I was born blond , it became mid brown as a teenager .....................my father and grandfather and one son has black hair

They state blue eyes and I have mid-green eyes ............my father and grandfather had light-green eyes ............all my sons though have mid-blue eyes

They state blood type A- ............I was tested again recently .......I have A+ ...........all sons and their mother has A-

Predicted Reality
Can Taste Bitter Compounds Probably
Prefer Savory over Sweet Snacks Correct
No Cleft Chin Correct
No Dimples Correct
No Unibrow Correct
No Widow's Peak Incorrect
Light Eyes Correct
Detached Earlobe Correct
Dark Hair Incorrect
Straight Hair Correct
Little Upper Back Hair Correct
Longer Ring than Index Finder Correct
Tan Skin Incorrect
No Freckles Correct
Lactose TolerantCorrect
Little Caffine Consumption Incorrect
Not a Deep SleeperCorrect
SprinterCorrect
Moves a lot in Sleep Incorrect

They state black hair and I was born blond , it became mid brown as a teenager .....................my father and grandfather and one son has black hair

They state blue eyes and I have mid-green eyes ............my father and grandfather had light-green eyes ............all my sons though have mid-blue eyes

They state blood type A- ............I was tested again recently .......I have A+ ...........all sons and their mother has A-
I forgot to mention they also missed my father's hair color, which was not light when he was young. My mother, on the contrary, had light, and they stated dark.

Yes, it is, but we three don't have blue. The changes were brown to green and green to brown. In one case, perhaps it has something to do with a bit of yellow around the pupils.

The report only distinguishes between blue and brown eyes. They don't make any predictions on green, hazel or mixed colours (like a yellow ring around the pupil, which is very common among blue eyed people). There is another (preliminary) report on eye colour that attempts to give odds of having green rather than blue eyes, but 23andMe doesn't make predictions on that because they probably know that there are more, yet unidentified SNPs involved. So I cannot see how you could say that they got it wrong if the eye colour in question involves green or hazel (green-yellow-brown) eyes.

Almost all Europeans (except deep south) have fair hair as children, and almost all will get darker over time. When 23andMe is making predictions about hair colour, it is only for adult colour (before greying).

Anyway, hair colour and height are probably the two most difficult things to predict based on DNA because they are not exclusively genetic, but also environmental/developmental. For example, high testosterone levels do darken hair faster.

So they were right. Blue here means not brown and includes green, grey or other shades.

It's odd that they should get the Rhesus factor wrong as it's pretty straightforward - unless your genotyping was wrong. In rare cases, it happens that SNPs reported aren't correct because the genome hasn't been re-read enough times. More frequently, the i4001527 allele linked to Rh- returns a no-call. If that is the case they would report the 'default' Rh+ instead. Could you check you data for i4001527?

Predicted Reality
Can Taste Bitter Compounds Probably
Prefer Savory over Sweet Snacks Correct
No Cleft Chin Correct
No Dimples Correct
No Unibrow Correct
No Widow's Peak Incorrect
Light Eyes Correct
Detached Earlobe Correct
Dark Hair Incorrect
Straight Hair Correct
Little Upper Back Hair Correct
Longer Ring than Index Finder Correct
Tan Skin Incorrect
No Freckles Correct
Lactose TolerantCorrect
Little Caffine Consumption Incorrect
Not a Deep SleeperCorrect
SprinterCorrect
Moves a lot in Sleep Incorrect

I do not have the reports for:

- cleft chin
- detached earlobes
- dimples
- unibrow
- widow's peak
- upper back hair
- skin colour
- deep sleep
- moving in sleep

Is that part of the new 23andMe experience? My account was already moved, but they won't show me my new health report, for any of the tests I ordered between 2008 and 2013. Did you guys have to order a new test to get this? Or am I not getting the updated health & trait report because I don't live in North America?

Anyway, could someone provide the SNP's for the above traits? I would be interested to check their accuracy.

- cleft chin
- detached earlobes
- dimples
- unibrow
- widow's peak
- upper back hair
- skin colour
- deep sleep
- moving in sleep

Is that part of the new 23andMe experience? My account was already moved, but they won't show me my new health report, for any of the tests I ordered between 2008 and 2013. Did you guys have to order a new test to get this? Or am I not getting the updated health & trait report because I don't live in North America?

Anyway, could someone provide the SNP's for the above traits? I would be interested to check their accuracy.

Traits are in health reports ................if you are in one of these nations below , you will not get health reports.............so keep a record of the traits in your old 23andme

Health reports are not available in the countries listed below. If you purchase today, you will receive ancestry reports and uninterpreted raw genetic data.

As we work with regulatory bodies in each region, it is possible that additional reports or products may be available in the future; additional charges for new products or reports may apply. Regulatory bodies in some regions may have requirements that prohibit or fundamentally change specific reports or products.
Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Hong Kong
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
Vatican City

Traits are in health reports ................if you are in one of these nations below , you will not get health reports.............so keep a record of the traits in your old 23andme

Health reports are not available in the countries listed below. If you purchase today, you will receive ancestry reports and uninterpreted raw genetic data.

As we work with regulatory bodies in each region, it is possible that additional reports or products may be available in the future; additional charges for new products or reports may apply. Regulatory bodies in some regions may have requirements that prohibit or fundamentally change specific reports or products.
Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Hong Kong
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
Vatican City

How did you get it if you live in Australia?

The report only distinguishes between blue and brown eyes. They don't make any predictions on green, hazel or mixed colours (like a yellow ring around the pupil, which is very common among blue eyed people). There is another (preliminary) report on eye colour that attempts to give odds of having green rather than blue eyes, but 23andMe doesn't make predictions on that because they probably know that there are more, yet unidentified SNPs involved. So I cannot see how you could say that they got it wrong if the eye colour in question involves green or hazel (green-yellow-brown) eyes.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Possibly our reports are different. I'll try to explain better then. 23andMe (mine is v4) presents the genetic likelihood of eyes color this way:
LIGHTER EYES %, divided into Blue %, Greenish blue %, Green % and Light hazel %;
DARKER EYES %, divided into Dark hazel %, Light brown % and Dark brown %.
If they say you likely have dark-colored eyes and the eyes are light (green, for example), or the opposite, then the report is not correct.
At least they get right my father's eyes color, but Gedmatch missed the three. When it shows brown, it's green. When it shows green, it's brown.
That's it.

- cleft chin
- detached earlobes
- dimples
- unibrow
- widow's peak
- upper back hair
- skin colour
- deep sleep
- moving in sleep

They just moved my account too (I've been a member since 2009). When I sign in, there's a list to the left, and one of the things on the list is "Traits". They don't list all of the snps for all of these things. I think two of the snps they use for skin pigmentation is the following, plus the blue eye gene, which has some effect.

"[FONT=&quot]Variants in two genes named SLC45A2 and SLC24A5 are associated with variation in skin color in people of European and African descent. These two genes are important for proper functioning of cells that produce melanin."

[/FONT]
Four derived versions, plus TYR etc., would lead to a prediction of "fair" skin of various shades.

I don't know why you wouldn't be getting it.

They just moved my account too (I've been a member since 2009). When I sign in, there's a list to the left, and one of the things on the list is "Traits". They don't list all of the snps for all of these things. I think two of the snps they use for skin pigmentation is the following, plus the blue eye gene, which has some effect.

"Variants in two genes named SLC45A2 and SLC24A5 are associated with variation in skin color in people of European and African descent. These two genes are important for proper functioning of cells that produce melanin."

Four derived versions, plus TYR etc., would lead to a prediction of "fair" skin of various shades.

I don't know why you wouldn't be getting it.

Did you order the kit from the US? Because the health reports are no longer available for European customers. After the transition to the "new experience" all we get is an reports archive of the old results.

Did you order the kit from the US? Because the health reports are no longer available for European customers. After the transition to the "new experience" all we get is an reports archive of the old results.

Yes, I did, years ago. Some of those results are pretty old, though. They should be in your archive then.

How did you get it if you live in Australia?

i answered post#1 with my old v3 23andme traits results .............my "transition" traits are not available

This thread has been viewed 19760 times.

Back