more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
Just for the fun, I picked that on Eurogenes blog

[h=3]Southern European blues[/h]

Not sold on this; not unless we see direct evidence from ancient DNA:

Abstract: Important gaps remain in our understanding of the spread of farming into Europe, due partly to apparent contradictions between studies of contemporary genetic variation and ancient DNA. It seems clear that farming was introduced into central, northern, and eastern Europe from the south by pioneer colonization. It is often argued that these dispersals originated in the Near East, where the potential source genetic pool resembles that of the early European farmers, but clear ancient DNA evidence from Mediterranean Europe is lacking, and there are suggestions that Mediterranean Europe may have resembled the Near East more than the rest of Europe in the Mesolithic. Here, we test this proposal by dating mitogenome founder lineages from the Near East in different regions of Europe. We find that whereas the lineages date mainly to the Neolithic in central Europe and Iberia, they largely date to the Late Glacial period in central/eastern Mediterranean Europe. This supports a scenario in which the genetic pool of Mediterranean Europe was partly a result of Late Glacial expansions from a Near Eastern refuge, and that this formed an important source pool for subsequent Neolithic expansions into the rest of Europe.​
Pereira et al., Reconciling evidence from ancient and contemporary genomes: a major source for the European Neolithic within Mediterranean Europe, Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Published 22 March 2017.DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2016.1976

Posted by Davidski at 6:29:00 AM 74 comments

Just for the fun, I picked that on Eurogenes blog

Southern European blues

Not sold on this; not unless we see direct evidence from ancient DNA:
Abstract: Important gaps remain in our understanding of the spread of farming into Europe, due partly to apparent contradictions between studies of contemporary genetic variation and ancient DNA. It seems clear that farming was introduced into central, northern, and eastern Europe from the south by pioneer colonization. It is often argued that these dispersals originated in the Near East, where the potential source genetic pool resembles that of the early European farmers, but clear ancient DNA evidence from Mediterranean Europe is lacking, and there are suggestions that Mediterranean Europe may have resembled the Near East more than the rest of Europe in the Mesolithic. Here, we test this proposal by dating mitogenome founder lineages from the Near East in different regions of Europe. We find that whereas the lineages date mainly to the Neolithic in central Europe and Iberia, they largely date to the Late Glacial period in central/eastern Mediterranean Europe. This supports a scenario in which the genetic pool of Mediterranean Europe was partly a result of Late Glacial expansions from a Near Eastern refuge, and that this formed an important source pool for subsequent Neolithic expansions into the rest of Europe.​
Pereira et al., Reconciling evidence from ancient and contemporary genomes: a major source for the European Neolithic within Mediterranean Europe, Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Published 22 March 2017.DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2016.1976

Posted by Davidski at 6:29:00 AM 74 comments

We discussed the paper here, Moesan. I have no idea what the title "Southern European Blues" means, by the way. This is supposed to make Southern Europeans "sad" or "depressed" for some reason, even if true? Why on earth would that be the case? Inexplicable.

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...an-Neolithic?highlight=Neolithic+mtDna+Europe

Sorry, Angela; I'm spending my time re-writing a little book about breton second names of curious forms and I read fewer threads and posts so I pass over things. Thanks. You can erase this thread of mine.

In fact, Davidsky did only give others a paper to know about, but his personal position is not to support the all conclusions of the paper.
But if this question has been discussed elsewhere there is no reason to maintain this very thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 3562 times.

Back