MtDna "U" diversity in Serbia

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
Slobodan Davidovich et al
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03014460.2017.1287954?journalCode=iahb20

"Results: Serbians share a number of U mtDNA lineages with Southern, Eastern-Central and North-Western Europeans. Putative Balkan-specific lineages (e.g. U1a1c2, U4c1b1, U5b3j, K1a4l and K1a13a1) and lineages shared among Serbians (South Slavs) and West and East Slavs were detected (e.g. U2e1b1, U2e2a1d, U4a2a, U4a2c, U4a2g1, U4d2b and U5b1a1).[FONT=&quot]Conclusion: The exceptional diversity of maternal lineages found in Serbians may be associated with the genetic impact of both autochthonous pre-Slavic Balkan populations whose mtDNA gene pool was affected by migrations of various populations over time (e.g. Bronze Age pastoralists) and Slavic and Germanic newcomers in the early Middle Ages."

I thought I'd maybe find my specific U2e there, but no luck.[/FONT]

What is your U2e? My Italian mother is U2e2a1a. Seems to be fairly rare. Most of her matches are north Euros.

What is your U2e? My Italian mother is U2e2a1a. Seems to be fairly rare. Most of her matches are north Euros.

No, that's not my subclade.

U2e is rare period, and then the subclades are rarer yet...lots of mutations.

I have very few matches, and the few I have are Switzerland and Britain.

U2e2 was found in Corded Ware, and Unetice, and later on in Andronovo, so a steppe origin is a pretty good bet. When and with whom it moved south into Italy I don't know.

In my case I'm only about 2000 years from my closest match so I'm guessing perhaps the Gallic migrations of the first millennium BC, but who knows. That time estimate was given to my closest match by some expert in mtDna based on the number of mutations that separate us, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.

This thread has been viewed 3089 times.

Back