Neolithic Balkan and the Funnelbeaker/Trichterbecher culture (K36 Eurogenes)

Northener

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
NW Euro
Y-DNA haplogroup
E1b1b/ E-V22
Yesterday I did the K36 Eurogenes admixture, the result was typical (old) NW German. What was most striking is that the "East-Balkan" component was, for my region, very high: 6,2% in stead of the average 2 a 3%, so a doubled or tripled result. After some research I guess that's due to a connection between the Balkan Neolithic cultures and the Funnelbeaker culture. Does this make sense?

K36 results
My K36 results are:

2db81mb.png

With thanks to analysis of LukszM he attended me on the, for my Dutch region, quite high East-Balkan component, 6, 18% in stead of the average 2 a 3% for this region.

European spread
This picture of the European spread of the East-Balkan component in K36 makes this clear:
33c9qtl.jpg
(from k36.physical-anthropology.info)
In my genealogy there is no known connection with this areas.

Neolithic relationship
What could be the connection?

Maciamo about the K36 components.
" Neolithic farmer components:
- Arabian
- Armenian
- East_Balkan
- East_Med
- Iberian
- Italian
- Near_Eastern
- North_African
- Omotic
- West_Med

In Neolithic HUngary (Alföld LBK) and Germany (LBK), the main components were Iberian, Italian and West_Med.
In Funnelbeaker Sweden, had high levels of Iberian, East_Balkan and West_Med, but no Italian at all."

Jean M. in her ancestral yourneys and on Anthrogenica:
"Not that I have any solid evidence for this in the form of a really distinctive aDNA signature, so it's just a suggestion. This is what I say:

The TRB was once seen as the result of local foragers adopting animal husbandry and new technology from their neighbours. This idea has been overturned by studies of ancient DNA. The Funnel Beaker peoples mainly carried mtDNA haplogroups typical of early farmers. Evidently migration spread this new way of life.

Copper axes and luxury wares from the Hungary-Serbia region travelled over 1000 km (620 miles) to the Baltic shore in the early 4th millennium BC. Another link lies in the Funnel Beaker pottery itself. Its decorative patterns were picked out with a paste made of bone. This technique originated in the Carpathian Basin. So the TRB may have been the result of farmers fleeing stricken settlements in the Balkans and Carpathian Basin for the milder climate of Northern Europe in this era. Later innovations such as wheeled vehicles, the plough and wool spinning seem to have fed into Funnel Beaker from its advanced southern neighbour, the Late Cucuteni-Tripolye culture.

Genome-wide comparisons show that a Funnel Beaker female from Sweden and contemporary farmers from Germany, despite being most closely related to early European farmers, had somewhat more hunter gatherer ancestry. The same is true of their probable source population in Hungary, and indeed farmers in Spain between 4000 and 3000 BC. It seems that as farmers extended their territory, they absorbed some of the foragers who were being pushed to the fringes and ultimately to the extinction of their way of life."

Meanwhile there is a solid evidence! In Alexey G. Nikitin e.a (2017), titled ' Mitochondrial DNA analysis of eneolithic trypillians from Ukraine reveals neolithic farming genetic roots" is stated:

"At the level of mtDNA haplogroup frequencies, the Trypillian culture (TC) population from Verteba demonstrates a close genetic relationship with population groups of the Funnel Beaker/ Trichterbecker cultural complex from central and northern Europe (ca. 3,950–2,500 BCE)."

The Cucuteni-Tripolye culture is Balkan rooted.

Funnelbeaker hotspot

From my mothers side I have roots in the Funnelbeaker hotspot of the Northern Netherlands: Drenthe (Hondsrug part for the experts).

The Funnelbeakers there:
2d14bnr.jpg

The dolmens:
35s1s.jpg

The supposed to be Funnelbeaker people:
2lnh088.jpg

Ergo: the k36 East Balkan component is, in my case, an old Funnelbeaker residu?

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 3488 times.

Back