Great maps from "Indo-european demic diffusion model" 06.2107

Lukas

Reaction score
Fresh paper. I don't have time to read it but maps are great!

https://indo-european.info/indo-european-de...ion-model-2.pdf

Click to open in large format

Paleolithic epoch

Mesolithic epoch

Neolithic 5000-4000 B.C.

Eneolithic 4000-3100 B.C.

Copper age 3100-2600 B.C.

Late Copper age 2660-2250 B.C.

Early Bronze Age 2250-1750 B.C.

Middle Bronze Age 1750-1250 B.C.

Late Bronze Age 1250-750 B.C.

Iron age 750-250 B.C.

250 B.C. - 250 A.D.

250-750 A.D.

750-1300 A.D.

Quite a long read, I must say. So basically, the author paints his comprehensive picture about Steppe as IE expansion, with lots of suppositions, on the back of all the ancient genetic research that we already know. Anti-steppiests will be furious. ;) Is the author Spanish? I hope he is not lynched by our in house anti-steppiest Iberians. ;)

Lot's of work went into these maps for sure. I'll have a closer look later.

He cites Bomhard, Kortlandt and peers a lot. I think that and his haplomania (he contends that R1b-M269 = IE) limits the usefulness of his work.

Those are beautiful maps indeed. Did skim it; he seems to use a hybrid naming of the haplogroups, but good that he uses markers like L23 instead of just the very unclear long names, so it is clear which groups he means. Going to read it later on.

He cites Bomhard, Kortlandt and peers a lot. I think that and his haplomania (he contends that R1b-M269 = IE) limits the usefulness of his work.
Haplomania, lol, indeed.

nice maps

I have some doubt about the Late Bronze Age 1250-750 B.C. map regarding Italy. Urnfield proper was only the Canegrate-Golasecca group (RSFO derived), cremation in the rest of the peninsula was brought by the Terramare people after the exodus from the Po Plain (population dropped from 150.000 persons to almost 0 in the LBA). At least, this is what i read in my books....i know there are different points of views though, we'll see what aDNA will reveal

Anyone can write a non-peer reviewed essay and draw some pretty maps.

I would spend my time closely reading and analyzing papers from Reich, and labs of similar quality.

He did one mistake though. Painting Parthians along Medes and Persians during Late Bronze Age. The Parthians didn't exist until the late Iron Age.

The Parthians were born out of the Medes. And were simply a new dynasty of a population of predominantly Median ancestry with an early Parni Elite.

Haplomania, lol, indeed.

I'd read an ealier edition of his book before -- a good example of what I mean is his contention that Corded Ware spoke Yukaghir-Uralic because it had R1a. Perhaps this is true, but at least some additional evidence would make for a more convincing case.

Quite a long read, I must say. So basically, the author paints his comprehensive picture about Steppe as IE expansion, with lots of suppositions, on the back of all the ancient genetic research that we already know. Anti-steppiests will be furious. ;) Is the author Spanish? I hope he is not lynched by our in house anti-steppiest Iberians. ;)

Lot's of work went into these maps for sure. I'll have a closer look later.

Badajoz is at some 15 km of the Portuguese frontier and I'm at 1100 km from him, so this job is for Olympus... ;)

Anyone can write a non-peer reviewed essay and draw some pretty maps.

I would spend my time closely reading and analyzing papers from Reich, and labs of similar quality.

Well, I even don't read works where I'm not quoted 30 times as minimum...

Now seriously, geneticists trying to do somewhat similar as the Reich lab... with the BB paper I can't understand even how it is to be published if their methology is like don't see don't hear don't say.

For the work of Quiles the continental maps are necessary and seem backed by published papers. A necessary work.

These maps are taken from one website, or maybe the author is the same.

Yes he gives links to the maps with high quality in the pdf. I think it's his website also.

Last edited:
I'd read an ealier edition of his book before -- a good example of what I mean is his contention that Corded Ware spoke Yukaghir-Uralic because it had R1a. Perhaps this is true, but at least some additional evidence would make for a more convincing case.
That's what I understood too, that he thinks that East Yamnaya (R1b) who migrated into Western Europe where the IE speakers, and CW R1a were not. But hey, it is hard to argue with spekulation using different spekulation. :)

Well, I even don't read works where I'm not quoted 30 times as minimum...

Now seriously, geneticists trying to do somewhat similar as the Reich lab... with the BB paper I can't understand even how it is to be published if their methology is like don't see don't hear don't say.

For the work of Quiles the continental maps are necessary and seem backed by published papers. A necessary work.

It seems that this is his left over from his PhD thesis (preface), and his supervisor did not put his name on it.
Honestly I don't know if this maps make any sense or not, graphically they are very pretty.
BUT, throughout the paper there is not a single line regarding math or calculations. So the borders and vectors are not coming from any data calculation but from interpretation. Data should talk by itself without any interpretation!

Honestly more than a scientific paper, this works reads more like badly written proposal for future research. Still lacks major question marks and predictions to confute the theory.

As such I do respect his vision and opinion, but SCIENCE IS NOT AN OPINION.

It seems that this is his left over from his PhD thesis (preface), and his supervisor did not put his name on it.
Honestly I don't know if this maps make any sense or not, graphically they are very pretty.
BUT, throughout the paper there is not a single line regarding math or calculations. So the borders and vectors are not coming from any data calculation but from interpretation. Data should talk by itself without any interpretation!

Honestly more than a scientific paper, this works reads more like badly written proposal for future research. Still lacks major question marks and predictions to confute the theory.

As such I do respect his vision and opinion, but SCIENCE IS NOT AN OPINION.
That's right, it is all about interpretation of existing data. I hope that maps are accurate enough, as they are so pretty and very detailed, and should be very usefull for years to come.

Reactions: Dov

This thread has been viewed 10080 times.

Back