does R1b-V88 originate from the Iron Gate ?

bicicleur 2

Reaction score
Mathieson 2107 :

Appendix A: The Iron Gates region has a more-or-less continuous record of Stone Age settlement from c.12700–5500 cal BCE , and over 400 Mesolithic and Early Neolithic burials have beenrecorded from 15 sites.

The mesolithic Iron Gate Y-DNA found are I2a1, I2a2a(1b2) and R1b1a-L754xL388.
Autosomal they were 87 % WHG and 13 % EHG, no signs of Anatolian EEF or Transcaucasian CHG.

R1b1a-L754xL388 leaves open 3 options for the descendants of these Iron Gate HG : https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L754/

- R1b-L754*
- R1b-V88
- all gone extinct

TMRCA of R1b-V88 is 11.7 ka, 3000 years after arrival of first mesolithic HG in the Iron Gates

The oldest anciant R1b-V88 DNA we have :

- Khvalynsk 7.2-6 ka R1b1-L278, possibly pré-V88
He was mainly EHG, but possesed also some substantial CHG and a little WHG.
He very likely came from south of the Caucasus.

- Els Trocs herders, 7.1 ka, R1b-V88.
Mainly EEF with some WHG, so he probably got there with the Cardial Ware people.

6-9231a68ec9.jpg

early neolithic Iberia
with dating table I here :
https://www.academia.edu/673004/Early_Neolithic_agriculture_in_the_Iberian_peninsula
There are several subclades of R1b-V88 in Sardegna, some of them likely got there with Cardial Ware.

Furthermore the Chadic R1b-V88 herders are supposed to have entered Africa through the Levant betwwen 8 ka and 5.5 ka.

Mathieson 2017 notes that the Iron Gates hunter-gatherers268 carry mitochondrial haplogroups K1 (8/36) as well as other subclades of haplogroup U269 (27/36) and haplogroup H (1/36). This contrasts with WHG, EHG and Scandinavian hunter-270 gatherers who almost all carry haplogroup U5 or U2. Therefore the Iron Gates hunter-271 gatherers have ancestry that is not present in WHG or EHG. This suggests either genetic272 contact between the ancestors of the Iron Gates population and hunter-gatherers from273 Anatolia, or that the Iron Gates population is related to the source population from which the274 WHG split off during a post-LGM re-expansion into Europe.

So, is it possible that one man, R1b-V88 or pré-R1b-V88 got from the Iron Gates into Anatolia and there became the founding father of R1b-V88?
What alternative origins for R1b-V88 could there be?

Mathieson 2107 :

Appendix A: The Iron Gates region has a more-or-less continuous record of Stone Age settlement from c.12700–5500 cal BCE , and over 400 Mesolithic and Early Neolithic burials have beenrecorded from 15 sites.

Autosomal they were 87 % WHG and 13 % EHG, no signs of Anatolian EEF or Transcaucasian CHG.

R1b1a-L754xL388 leaves open 3 options for the descendants of these Iron Gate HG : https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L754/

- R1b-L754*
- R1b-V88
- all gone extinct

TMRCA of R1b-V88 is 11.7 ka, 3000 years after arrival of first mesolithic HG in the Iron Gates

Mainly EEF with some WHG, so he probably got there with the Cardial Ware people.

6-9231a68ec9.jpg

early neolithic Iberia
https://www.academia.edu/673004/Early_Neolithic_agriculture_in_the_Iberian_peninsula
There are several subclades of R1b-V88 in Sardegna, some of them likely got there with Cardial Ware.

Furthermore the Chadic R1b-V88 herders are supposed to have entered Africa through the Levant betwwen 8 ka and 5.5 ka.

Mathieson 2017 notes that the Iron Gates hunter-gatherers268 carry mitochondrial haplogroups K1 (8/36) as well as other subclades of haplogroup U269 (27/36) and haplogroup H (1/36). This contrasts with WHG, EHG and Scandinavian hunter-270 gatherers who almost all carry haplogroup U5 or U2. Therefore the Iron Gates hunter-271 gatherers have ancestry that is not present in WHG or EHG. This suggests either genetic272 contact between the ancestors of the Iron Gates population and hunter-gatherers from273 Anatolia, or that the Iron Gates population is related to the source population from which the274 WHG split off during a post-LGM re-expansion into Europe.

So, is it possible that one man, R1b-V88 or pré-R1b-V88 got from the Iron Gates into Anatolia and there became the founding father of R1b-V88?

R1b-V88 is recorded as entering the northern levant 9000 years ago and reaching egypt 7000 years ago .............is the marker pontic or western black sea ?

Intresting that mt haplogroup U6 also originated in the same region. Oldest U6 sample was from ''Pestera Muierilor'' Romania

Mathieson 2107 :

- R1b-L754*
- R1b-V88
- all gone extinct

6-9231a68ec9.jpg

early neolithic Iberia

In Serbia in culture of Lepen Whirl, R1b1a-L754 is found at the more locations and epochs. The oldest one is found at Padina: 9221-8548 BC, and the youngest at Padina too: 6061-5841 BC.

I suppose that samples R1b1a-L754 in Serbia (in period about 3000 years) are all V88.

It is very interesting this population was for a long time in these areas.

Migration from the northeast. R1b and R1a in general are young haplogroups, so they diversified rather recently.

It would be difficult to imagine that a Mesolithic population in the Balkans learnt agriculture and migrated to Africa in time. The culturally developed Mesolithic groups in Europe did not readily adopt agriculture until the terminal Neolithic.

A more interesting possibilty would be a common source of Lepenski Vir and those Africans closer to the fertile crescent.

it is not about a whole population, it is about 1 single man, the founding fater of R1b-V88

furthermore the genetic evidence demonstrates more and more that the HG could maintain themselves very well in the settled farming societies
maybe they even had an advantage over the farmers, they were more mobile and more versatile than the farmers
upto the chalcolithic the weight of WHG kept growing

Estimated propotion
PopWHGAN
Peloponnese_Neolithic0,5%99,5%
Balkans_Neolithic1,9%98,1%
LBK_EN4,9%95,1%
Balkans_Combined5,1%94,9%
LBK_Austria6,3%93,7%
Balkans_Chalcolithic6,8%93,2%
Iberia_EN8,1%91,9%
Central_Combined11,0%89,0%
Varna11,6%88,4%
Trypillia13,4%86,6%
Malak_Preslavets15,7%84,3%
Central_MN18,0%82,0%
Iberia_Combined19,9%80,1%
Iberia_MN22,5%77,5%
Globular_Amphora24,7%75,3%
Iberia_Chalcolithic26,4%73,6%

during the chalcolithic maybe they were better in finding ores and organizing transport and trade than the settled farmers who had become immobalised in their settlements

also in the Iron Gate itself, they created a unique culture, trading goods with the Aegean, they certainly weren't overwhelmed by the farmers
I think many farmers envied their lifestyle

as for the low WHG % in the Balkans, keep in mind that the Balkans were depopulated during the mesolithic, the farmers there settled in empty land

as for the LBK, keep in mind that most of the LBK farmers just farmed, they didn't hunt or fish themselves and they occupied only a very small proportion of the land, only the most fertile and ligth land to work on, they were not able to farm other lands, which left much hunting and fishing grounds open for the original HG

this is a map of soils in Saxony, Germany :

Lange_diercke_sachsen_freistaat_sachsen_hauptbodenarten.jpg

only the brown parts are löss grounds, that are the only parts the LBK people could work on
all the other land remained HG land

It would be difficult to imagine that a Mesolithic population in the Balkans learnt agriculture and migrated to Africa in time. The culturally developed Mesolithic groups in Europe did not readily adopt agriculture until the terminal Neolithic.

A more interesting possibilty would be a common source of Lepenski Vir and those Africans closer to the fertile crescent.
Good point. Let's keep in mind that explosion and migration of R1a and R1b happened in Neolithic when they have mixed with farmers and became farmers themselves. In case of V88, it needed to be in farmers/herders communities by Neolithic in Europe, in order to expand in numbers and migrate to Africa. Through all the other ethnic groups and civilizations on their way to Africa. So far we didn't find V88 in European Neolithic.

as for the LBK, keep in mind that most the LBK farmers just farmed, they didn't hunt or fish and they occupied only a very small proportion of the land, only the most fertile and ligth land to work on, they were not able to farm other lands, which left much hunting and fishing grounds open for the original HG

very strange theory .............so proto-farmers did nothing? ...........wrong

so LBK farmers where EEF only and where nothing before this? ...........wrong

So LBK where not potters, I think all farmers still hunted , herded and potted .............one would have to be naive if one thought otherwise

very strange theory .............so proto-farmers did nothing? ...........wrong

so LBK farmers where EEF only and where nothing before this? ...........wrong

So LBK where not potters, I think all farmers still hunted , herded and potted .............one would have to be naive if one thought otherwise

it is what archeology showed
in many areas the LBK farmers didn't consume game or fish, just their own vegetables, dairy products and meat of domesticates

It's not like you to engage in so much conjecture and speculation, Bicicleur.

How the heck can you possibly know the following:
"during the chalcolithic maybe they were better in finding ores and organizing transport and trade than the settled farmers who had become immobalised in their settlements"

As for the amount of WHG, it took 2,000 years for the EEF to decide to mate with them. We don't really know why some primarily I2a2 men were adopted into their cultures at some point. As Jean Manco pointed out a few years ago, it's quite possible that as the climate worsened in the north there was a gradual movement south into farmer lands.

As for there being few EEF people, everything we've learned about population growth absolutely contradicts that, including the areas which they settled.

This is LBK alone:
lbkspreadd.jpg

The only places where there were remaining large groups of hunter gatherers were near big waterways and near the Sea, as in the far northeast. It's not a coincidence that the modern people with the highest percentages of WHG are from that area. There was also a reservoir of them, I believe to the east, partially mixed with EHG, because the farmers never penetrated there. Where the farmers did penetrate, they were either absorbed or marginalized, as was the case in the New World. The Iron Gates community totally disappeared relatively quickly.

Those are also vast generalizations about LBK. Some communities, and more as time went by did indeed practice hunting and fishing to supplement resources.

Good point. Let's keep in mind that explosion and migration of R1a and R1b happened in Neolithic when they have mixed with farmers and became farmers themselves. In case of V88, it needed to be in farmers/herders communities by Neolithic in Europe, in order to expand in numbers and migrate to Africa. Through all the other ethnic groups and civilizations on their way to Africa. So far we didn't find V88 in European Neolithic.

again, I am not talking about a whole population, I am talking about 1 single man, the founding father of R1b-V88, dated 11.7 ka
he could have sneaked into Anatolia by then, from the Iron gates
11.7 ka Anatolia was still HG territory

again, I am not talking about a whole population, I am talking about 1 single man, the founding father of R1b-V88, dated 11.7 ka
he could have sneaked into Anatolia by then, from the Iron gates
11.7 ka Anatolia was still HG territory

Or R1b-V88 was in Anatolia and in different periods moved into Europe.

It's not like you to engage in so much conjecture and speculation, Bicicleur.

How the heck can you possibly know the following:
"during the chalcolithic maybe they were better in finding ores and organizing transport and trade than the settled farmers who had become immobalised in their settlements"

As for the amount of WHG, it took 2,000 years for the EEF to decide to mate with them. We don't really know why some primarily I2a2 men were adopted into their cultures at some point. As Jean Manco pointed out a few years ago, it's quite possible that as the climate worsened in the north there was a gradual movement south into farmer lands.

As for there being few EEF people, everything we've learned about population growth absolutely contradicts that, including the areas which they settled.

This is LBK alone:
lbkspreadd.jpg

The only places where there were remaining large groups of hunter gatherers were near big waterways and near the Sea, as in the far northeast. It's not a coincidence that the modern people with the highest percentages of WHG are from that area. There was also a reservoir of them, I believe to the east, partially mixed with EHG, because the farmers never penetrated there. Where the farmers did penetrate, they were either absorbed or assimilated. The Iron Gates community totally disappeared relatively quickly.

Those are also vast generalizations about LBK. Some communities, and more as time went by did indeed practice hunting and fishing to supplement resources.

this is a map of soils in Saxony, Germany :

only the brown and some of the pink parts are löss grounds, that are the only parts the LBK people could work on
all the other land remained HG land

the situation has been studied in Blätterhöhle and Ostorf

why, after a few centuries some of the LBK tribes were fighting each other, even when there was still plenty of space in between?
maybe they ran out of good soils they could cultivate

as for your theory of climate change and HG coming in from the north, I don't think it can explain the growing weight of HG in Iberia

how do you explain the neolithic in the British Isles without G2a2, only I2 ?

another map of Löss soils in Europe

LBK Loess soil map geklasseerde info.jpg
the area with Löss soil is bounded to the north by the places that were covered with glaciars and polar desert (permafrost) during LGM, but even within the Löss soil area, there was more space without Löss deposit than soil with

I think many farmers envied their lifestyle
Seems like you are extrapolating your personal feelings on Neolithic Farmers. I'd say, on occasions farmers behaved like hunter-gatherer. Sometimes they did a bit of hunting and fishing, and sometimes they picked berries and mushrooms.

Seems like you are extrapolating your personal feelings on Neolithic Farmers. I'd say, on occasions farmers behaved like hunter-gatherer. Sometimes they did a bit of hunting and fishing, and sometimes they picked berries and mushrooms.

the Iron Gate is a particular case with a special ecological niche
it was so rich in fish, it was heaven for fishers and hunters
their life was much easier than the farmers life

google and check 'Lepenski Vir'

the Iron Gate is a particular case with a special ecological niche
it was so rich in fish, it was heaven for fishers and hunters
their life was much easier
than the farmers life
Live in a tent through winter, surrounded by wild animal, and eat only fish from the river, and say it again next year. I would rather stay in the safety of the village, dressed in linen clothes, eating bread, pork, eggs and drinking milk (as kid), attend dances and listen to music.

Live in a tent through winter, surrounded by wild animal, and eat only fish from the river, and say it again next year. I would rather stay in the safety of the village, dressed in linen clothes, eating bread, pork, eggs and drinking milk (as kid), attend dances and listen to music.

they didn't live in tents, they had huts with plastered floors and a hearth
furthermore they got shells from the Aegean by trade
if they wanted cereals, the certainly could get this from trade as well
and the forests were rich in berries and nuts

again, check 'Lepenski Vir' before you comment on this

oh, and watch this :

Muse_Trento_6.jpg

do you think her life was fun?

again, we're getting drawn away here
I intended this thread about 1 single man, 11.7 ka the founding father of R1b-V88
that was way before farming in Europe, even before farming in Anatolia

This thread has been viewed 35751 times.

Back