Age of sexual consent world wide

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I saw this map on my feed. Fourteen seems a more reasonable age than the 16 in a lot of countries.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Age_of_Consent.png

Age_of_Consent.png

Last edited:
Is this in relation to adults having sex with minors or two minors having sex together?

Is this in relation to adults having sex with minors or two minors having sex together?

It doesn't say.

In the U.S. most jurisdictions have an exception for sex between minors, or they spell out the permissible age difference in years.

That's one reason why I think the age should be lowered. What difference is there between a 15 year old girl having sex with a 17 year old or a 19 year old?

In jurisdictions where the age is 18, a 22 year old female teacher can wind up being charged for having sex with a 17 year old boy. Not that I advocate a person in authority over someone having sex with that person, but neither do I think that person should be treated like a pedophile.

For me it just means that under this age, there is absolutely no special case for justification. Between this age and 18, special occasions have to be evaluated case by case (the minor should always be protected, so if he/she is unaware or incapable of what consent means - it should be considered rape). So no tricks between consent age and 18.

Yes, well, what if the age of consent is 14, and two thirteen year olds have consensual sex with each other? Put them both in jail? Give them both criminal records as pedophiles?

That's why there's an exception for situations where they're both minors.

Legislators and law enforcement people have thought about this for a long time, and seen a lot as well.

How about legal age of consent is 16...unless they're both minors. So fifteen year old girl has sex with her boyfriend when he's 15 and then it continues for three months past his 16th birthday. Her parents hate him and have him arrested for statutory rape. It happens.

This is why prosecutors have to have discretion.

Yes, well, what if the age of consent is 14, and two thirteen year olds have consensual sex with each other? Put them both in jail? Give them both criminal records as pedophiles?

That's why there's an exception for situations where they're both minors.

Legislators and law enforcement people have thought about this for a long time, and seen a lot as well.

How about legal age of consent is 16...unless they're both minors. So fifteen year old girl has sex with her boyfriend when he's 15 and then it continues for three months past his 16th birthday. Her parents hate him and have him arrested for statutory rape. It happens.

This is why prosecutors have to have discretion.

Yes I do get your point. And I think it is a chaos ... I remember a case in the UK that was talked for some time. There was also a pregnancy if I remember correctly. Discretion is always a good idea.

In your example I think the parents will be charged. If they knew ahead of not-consensual sex, they would probably ... well I dont know severity. And no, the boy is not chargeable because is protected by the same law - unaware of consent. If at he at 18 and she 15, than he would be charged

Yes I do get your point. And I think it is a chaos ... I remember a case in the UK that was talked for some time. There was also a pregnancy if I remember correctly. Discretion is always a good idea.

In your example I think the parents will be charged. If they knew ahead of not-consensual sex, they would probably ... well I dont know severity. And no, the boy is not chargeable because is protected by the same law - unaware of consent. If at he at 18 and she 15, than he would be charged

Sorry, I probably confused you. In my example, the two fifteen year-olds (until the boy turned sixteen) were having consensual sex.

The legal term for having sex outside the law with a minor is called statutory rape.

Real rape, where there was no consent, is always a crime, and should be. Well, I guess except in certain countries, Muslim countries for example, if they hold you can't rape your wife, for example, or where if a woman says she was raped and she's unmarried they just force her to marry her rapist.

Anyway, in normal situations in western countries the authorities try in most cases to get it right, but it's very difficult to legislate sexual conduct.

Sorry, I probably confused you. In my example, the two fifteen year-olds (until the boy turned sixteen) were having consensual sex.

The legal term for having sex outside the law with a minor is called statutory rape.

Real rape, where there was no consent, is always a crime, and should be. Well, I guess except in certain countries, Muslim countries for example, if they hold you can't rape your wife, for example, or where if a woman says she was raped and she's unmarried they just force her to marry her rapist.

Anyway, in normal situations in western countries the authorities try in most cases to get it right, but it's very difficult to legislate sexual conduct.

Yes I am a bit confused now. I thought that the consent age was 16, so the two 15 old teenagers couldnt have consensual sex.
Anyway, no point of being picky, I think experts know better.

There are some worse examples, sadly, the raped woman being accused of provoking the man and sentenced to lashes. I can't figure out the family relations between siblings and parents in such environments.

This thread has been viewed 4752 times.

Back