Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtic / Italic
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-CTS3601
mtDNA haplogroup
U3a2a
Hello,

I received yesterday my Living DNA results. I chose this company because i read on different websites that they had very good and detailled results with autosomal DNA.

I have previously tested different companies, all with different results. With Living DNA the results seems strange to me because i have 51.7% of British Isles. With The others companies i found 22% and 5% ! The percentage with Living DNA seems too high. Is it because this company seems to be addressing mainly to the residents of Great Britain ?

My known ancestors are mainly from Switzerland and France and found no trace of these ancestors with my Living DNA results. I don't know why

Is there anyone else who is not British have tested this company? What results have you had ?

Thank you !

Hello,

I received yesterday my Living DNA results. I chose this company because i read on different websites that they had very good and detailled results with autosomal DNA.

I have previously tested different companies, all with different results. With Living DNA the results seems strange to me because i have 51.7% of British Isles. With The others companies i found 22% and 5% ! The percentage with Living DNA seems too high. Is it because this company seems to be addressing mainly to the residents of Great Britain ?

My known ancestors are mainly from Switzerland and France and found no trace of these ancestors with my Living DNA results. I don't know why

Is there anyone else who is not British have tested this company? What results have you had ?

Thank you !

They are based in Britain and first focused on determining what parts of Britain your ancestors were from. This will cause some bias because Britain was a melting pot of the mainland so they are looking at it from the "British" side.

I do think they are working diligently to add more reference populations though, so a better analysis will be available. Your test results won't change at the data level but they may change the ethnicity estimate.

Hello,

Thank you !

Yes the same thing happened to me. They're based in Britain and seem to be heavily biased towards them if you have North West European ancestry.

I received 96 percent British from LivingDNA, around 20 percent of that is from Scotland and Ireland which is accurate, similar to what I received with other companies but the other 80 percent was from England where I have no ancestry from. AncestryDna determined that I had less than 1 percent English ancestry. 23andme reported around 40 percent of my ancestry as a whole coming from the British isles. I believe LivingDNA just interprets overall North West European ancestry as British because it's what they were traditionally focused on. Perhaps the accuracy will improve in the future

At present Living DNA has 20 reference populations in Britain. Soon there will be many more for Ireland and Germany, and later this year there should be many more for other countries. Therefore the current results can be seen as merely a beta version for people of non-British descent.

Yes, I had almost 70% British, but all clustering in regions in (South-)East England, the regions most close to the Netherlands.

Thank you for all your answers, I hope LIVING DNA will update soon their results for people who aren't from the British Isles

They updated their results with the two new tabs :)

In my case the tab "Cautious" seems to me more accurate than others.But the high level of british isles remains high.

Yes, it's slightly more accurate in my case as well. Instead of 95 percent British I'm receiving 90 percent now.

Cautious might be more accurate than Standard and Complete. The remaining ten percent is perceived as "North Western Ancestry" (which includes places from Catalonia to Czechia to Wales, so isnt exactly helpful) in cautious, but in Standard/Complete it's interpreted as Scandinavian. They note that "North Western Ancestry" is a confidence for people from England and Wales who have multiple population sources for their ancestry, which is disappointing to me since they are still treating my data as if I'm from the UK.

I'm not sure that Americans should take this test yet if they want accurate autosomal ancestry, it's still highly focused on people from the British isles only.

They updated their results with the two new tabs :)

In my case the tab "Cautious" seems to me more accurate than others.But the high level of british isles remains high.

Also it might be of interest to point out that the "North West European related ancestry" category for you is different than mine.

Mine included everything yours did, but included Germany, the Low countries, Czechia, Denmark, more of Switzerland, Austria and it specifically mentioned the Orkney islands as well.

Perhaps they individualize that

I'm not sure that Americans should take this test yet if they want accurate autosomal ancestry, it's still highly focused on people from the British isles only.

This is the case for any non-British person, i think. For now their results are too focused on the British Isles, but it is quite likely that they will make changes and updates for the other poulations :)

Also it might be of interest to point out that the "North West European related ancestry" category for you is different than mine.

Mine included everything yours did, but included Germany, the Low countries, Czechia, Denmark, more of Switzerland, Austria and it specifically mentioned the Orkney islands as well.

Perhaps they individualize that

I think they link the different autosomal data together. It is for this reason that what is valid for me is not necessarily for you.

Or for those Americans with British lineage, it is a good option ;)

I ordered the test specifically due to the British focus.

Ahahah you were right ;)

So what is the best test for continental Europe with these all mixtures ? If I'm From France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc... Actually Gedmatch is for me the best option.

Ahahah you were right ;)

So what is the best test for continental Europe with these all mixtures ? If I'm From France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc... Actually Gedmatch is for me the best option.

Well, I also ordered it based on the numbers of SNPs tested. It's going to give a huge boost to my raw data for Y-DNA and mtDNA. The "hard data" is what's important for the test, combined with the ability to download the results.

All of the interpretations of results are educated guesses and wildly vary based on factors such as our understanding of populations. New discoveries will change our interpretations of the data. You are right about GEDmatch being a good third party tool.

And as mentioned previously, LivingDNA is new to the game and will get better and better on interpretations once they build good reference populations.

Just curious, do you know what LivingDNA test is most accurate for American Colonials so far?;Complete, Standard or conservative? Im not sure about you however personally I've not been able to trace some of my Colonial lines back to the United Kingdom. On a side note for me personally, since it looks like East Angelia and SE England is being confused with German apparently, I'm going to be watching out for those 3 population components; when I get my results around the 4th of July festivities. :)
Since LivingDNA is thinking of bringing their work into Schools and the United States was created partly due to Religious persecutions, it might be cool to test the Colonial Americans with Full Blood say Quaker, Puritian, Presbyterian, etc ancestry; all of my Paternal Grandpa Wayne's ancestors were of Quakers. :) Just a thought.

Just curious, do you know what LivingDNA test is most accurate for American Colonials so far?;Complete, Standard or conservative? Im not sure about you however personally I've not been able to trace some of my Colonial lines back to the United Kingdom. On a side note for me personally, since it looks like East Angelia and SE England is being confused with German apparently, I'm going to be watching out for those 3 population components; when I get my results around the 4th of July festivities. :)
Since LivingDNA is thinking of bringing their work into Schools and the United States was created partly due to Religious persecutions, it might be cool to test the Colonial Americans with Full Blood say Quaker, Puritian, Presbyterian, etc ancestry; all of my Paternal Grandpa Wayne's ancestors were of Quakers. :) Just a thought.

When I get the results, I'll give a detailed report and comparison with Ancestry, MyHeritage, and some GEDmatch calculators.

When I get the results, I'll give a detailed report and comparison with Ancestry, MyHeritage, and some GEDmatch calculators.
It will be very interesting ;)

Thanks, I cannot even begin to tell you how exited my am now that Independence Day is a
round the corner. : D Should be interesting ^_^

In general, the only thing bothering me is the lack of Jewish clusters; my 1/16 Jewish is assigned to Kurdish, Iberian and West-Balkan, which to me is in correspondence to a mix of pre-Arab levantine (West-Asian) with Mediterranean and (for Ashkenazi) some Eastern European.

Im doing a living DNA test and waiting for my results. I hope they got a bit better for Iberian people. But I do want to see which part is the highest from great britain and ireland.

This thread has been viewed 20505 times.

Back