EV13 from Central Asia

baha

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
EV13
mtDNA haplogroup
K1a4a1
Hello there. I m new to this forum, I am glad to be the part of your community. I am male from Uzbekistan, Bukhoro. I did DNA test and was surprised to know that my y DNA is e1b1b1a1b1a* which is ev 13 and is almost non existent in Central Asia as far as I know. I saw many ev13 maps and they don't include Central Asia at all. I think my case is very interesting and I was very surprised to have y DNA the same as most Kosovars Albanians. I don't know how Balkan y DNA settled in Uzbekistan.
My mtdna is k1a4a1e, because my mother is Central European.

Last edited:
Hello there. I m new to this forum, I am glad to be they part of your community. I am male from Uzbekistan, Bukhoro, living now in Russia. I did DNA test and was surprised to know that my y DNA is e1b1b1a1b1a* which is ev 13 and is almost non existent in Central Asia as far as I know. I saw many ev13 maps and they don't include Central Asia at all. I think my case is very interesting and I was very surprised to have y DNA the same as most Kosovars Albanians. I don't know how Balkan y DNA settled in Uzbekistan.

Uzbekistan, Bukhoro area corresponds to the ancient population of Massagetae:
Asia_323bc.jpg

Massagetae originated in Balkans: Getae (as greek called them) or Dacians (as romans called them). The were closely related to Thracians.
Prefix ''massa'' means ''great'' or ''strong'' in old persian language or according to other oopinion ''far away'' in greek language. So massagetae= the great getae or the getae from far away.
In my opinion based on your result this must be the most likely scenario.

Hello there. I m new to this forum, I am glad to be they part of your community. I am male from Uzbekistan, Bukhoro, living now in Russia. I did DNA test and was surprised to know that my y DNA is e1b1b1a1b1a* which is ev 13 and is almost non existent in Central Asia as far as I know. I saw many ev13 maps and they don't include Central Asia at all. I think my case is very interesting and I was very surprised to have y DNA the same as most Kosovars Albanians. I don't know how Balkan y DNA settled in Uzbekistan.

are you from Tashkent?
or Aral?

Hello brother! welcome to the forum, I'm also new here.

are you from Tashkent?

No I am from Bukhara, which is on the south of Uzbekistan, and historically has a significant ethnic Tajik population and some Iranians too. Tashkent is far more turkic/mongolized as far as I know imo

Uzbekistan, Bukhoro area corresponds to the ancient population of Massagetae:

Massagetae originated in Balkans: Getae (as greek called them) or Dacians (as romans called them). The were closely related to Thracians.
Prefix ''massa'' means ''great'' or ''strong'' in old persian language or according to other oopinion ''far away'' in greek language. So massagetae= the great getae or the getae from far away.
In my opinion based on your result this must be the most likely scenario.
Interesting hypothesis.
Is there a chance that Alexander the Great soldiers impregnated some local women during their invasion to Khorasan territories (which includes Bukhoro and Samarkand)?

There are two ways E-V13 could end up in Central Asia:

1- Greco Bactrain Kingdom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

main-qimg-201448fdad5c85f311d50c50054fd4b0

In the aftermath of Alexander The Great's death, his vast empire was divided among his generals, one of them, Seleucus Nicator, founded the Seleucid Empire, which controlled most of Alexander's Asian territory, including Central Asia. At a later date, Diodotus, the satrap of Bactria (and probably the surrounding provinces) founded the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom when he seceded from the Seleucid Empire around 250 BC and became King Diodotus I of Bactria.

This kingdom's population did include Greek and Macedonian colonists, soldiers and administrators, as well as natives, so E-V13 could end up in central Asia because of them.

If you test deep subclades of E-V13 and then turn out to cluster in a clade that include people from the Balkans, then you indeed descend from Greek or Macedonian settlers.

2- From Russia :

It is possible that E-V13 could end in central Asia from the time of the Russian Empire or the Soviet Union, I don't know if its possible to determine if this is true, because testing deep subclades that include Russians might also include other people from eastern Europe or the Balkans, in theory it should work but I don't think there are enough samples with detailed subclades, have you joined the E-V13 project or not ? that might help.

To IronSide: 2nd is impossible because my father is not Russian and doesn't have Russian relatives. Moreover Russian presence in Uzbekistan started when USSR was formed, so Russian/local ethnic mix is very recent and very rare. Like in my case - local father and Russian mother (however autosomal analysis reveals she's about 40% Russian)

1- Greco Bactrain Kingdom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_Kingdom

main-qimg-201448fdad5c85f311d50c50054fd4b0

In the aftermath of Alexander The Great's death, his vast empire was divided among his generals, one of them, Seleucus Nicator, founded the Seleucid Empire, which controlled most of Alexander's Asian territory, including Central Asia. At a later date, Diodotus, the satrap of Bactria (and probably the surrounding provinces) founded the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom when he seceded from the Seleucid Empire around 250 BC and became King Diodotus I of Bactria.

This kingdom's population did include Greek and Macedonian colonists, soldiers and administrators, as well as natives, so E-V13 could end up in central Asia because of them.

If you test deep subclades of E-V13 and then turn out to cluster in a clade that include people from the Balkans, then you indeed descend from Greek or Macedonian settlers.

2- From Russia :

It is possible that E-V13 could end in central Asia from the time of the Russian Empire or the Soviet Union, I don't know if its possible to determine if this is true, because testing deep subclades that include Russians might also include other people from eastern Europe or the Balkans, in theory it should work but I don't think there are enough samples with detailed subclades, have you joined the E-V13 project or not ? that might help.

Is that really called central-asia?

any way, IIRC the E-V13 as I read a few years ago was attributed to Macedonian troops via modern albania , as Macedonia ruled all of Albania from Alexanders father time until the roman-macedonian wars of 198BC-146BC

1- Greco Bactrain

2- From Russia :

Actually I did the test in a local Russian company and they don't offer deep testing of Y DNA subclades. It is complicated to make 23andme test from my country due to complications with shipping of the biological material. I might try to do it in the future via Shipito for more deep testing.

Is that really called central-asia?

any way, IIRC the E-V13 as I read a few years ago was attributed to Macedonian troops via modern albania , as Macedonia ruled all of Albania from Alexanders father time until the roman-macedonian wars of 198BC-146BC
Yes it is the Central Asia except some parts on the south and west

1- Greco Bactrain Kingdom

2- From Russia :

This results is from a local company that does this kind of genetic test. They do not test deep subclades as far as I know, just general Ydna/mydna and autosomal testing. Later I might do testing in American company for more profounded results

I did DNA test and was surprised to know that my y DNA is e1b1b1a1b1a* which is ev 13 and is almost non existent in Central Asia as far as I know.
Well, haplogroup E is found in Central Asia among Uzbeks at 2.5%, Uyghurs from Urumqi at 6.5% and among Tajiks at 3 %. Only Uzbek sample is good enough to say that it is real frequency, so it seems hat You are quite regular Uzbek in matter of Y haplogroup ;)

Here source of frequencies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_in_populations_of_Central_and_North_Asia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_by_ethnic_group

BTW there is possibility that E came to central Asia with Indoeuropeans.

I will add autosomal testing results (the local Russian company that did the test only has samples of 36 diff ethnicities to compare with, it is possible that results from American DNA testing company may come a bit different and I wonder how accurate the actual testing is)
12.19 % Central Russia
9.6 % Pakistan
8.66 % Finland
6.98 % Ukranian
6.84 % East-Med, Levant
6.28 % North Caucasus
6.14 % Iberia
5.41 % Balkan
4.86 % Siberia
4.57 % Scotland
4.36 % Armenia
4.29 % Italy
2.85 % Hungary
2.52 % France
2.39 % India
2.33 % Northeast Asia
2.2 % Georgia
1.84 % England
1.16 % Oceania
1.1 % Africa
1 % Chuvash
0.98 % Malaysian
0.76 % South China
0.69 % Sardinia

I will add autosomal testing results (the local Russian company that did the test only has samples of 36 diff ethnicities to compare with, it is possible that results from American DNA testing company may come a bit different and I wonder how accurate the actual testing is)
12.19 % Central Russia
9.6 % Pakistan
8.66 % Finland
6.98 % Ukranian
6.84 % East-Med, Levant
6.28 % North Caucasus
6.14 % Iberia
5.41 % Balkan
4.86 % Siberia
4.57 % Scotland
4.36 % Armenia
4.29 % Italy
2.85 % Hungary
2.52 % France
2.39 % India
2.33 % Northeast Asia
2.2 % Georgia
1.84 % England
1.16 % Oceania
1.1 % Africa
1 % Chuvash
0.98 % Malaysian
0.76 % South China
0.69 % Sardinia

12.19 % Central Russia
9.6 % Pakistan
8.66 % Finland
6.98 % Ukranian
6.84 % East-Med, Levant
6.28 % North Caucasus
6.14 % Iberia
5.41 % Balkan
4.86 % Siberia
4.57 % Scotland
4.36 % Armenia
4.29 % Italy
2.85 % Hungary
2.52 % France
2.39 % India
2.33 % Northeast Asia
2.2 % Georgia
1.84 % England
1.16 % Oceania
1.1 % Africa
1 % Chuvash
0.98 % Malaysian
0.76 % South China
0.69 % Sardinia

I too an E-V13, and my father’s family are from northern India. I’ve yet to find any other northern indian E-V13.

I too an E-V13, and my father’s family are from northern India. I’ve yet to find any other northern indian E-V13.

Your case is interesting, if only we could know your deep subclade then maybe some theories will be confirmed, and others rejected.

It seems one of the E-V13 branches found in the Middle east is S7461. For now it is found in Lebanon, among Druze, in Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Interesting, this subbranch is very widely spread, in Western Europe, England, Belgium and Sweden, on the Balkans among Bulgarians and also in the Middle East.
Similar distribution has the branch Y16729, it is found among Englishmen and Arabs an also in a single Bulgarian, who does not belong to any of those clusters.

It seems one of the E-V13 branches found in the Middle east is S7461. For now it is found in Lebanon, among Druze, in Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Interesting, this subbranch is very widely spread, in Western Europe, England, Belgium and Sweden, on the Balkans among Bulgarians and also in the Middle East.
Similar distribution has the branch Y16729, it is found among Englishmen and Arabs an also in a single Bulgarian, who does not belong to any of those clusters.

Very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

This thread has been viewed 62753 times.

Back