ASD Autism risk increases with number of fevers during pregnancy

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Great, something else to worry about for pregnant mothers.

See:
https://spectrumnews.org/news/autism-risk-climbs-number-fevers-pregnancy/

It seems to be the inflammatory immune response that is the problem. This may be a factor, but it's not the only factor, I'm sure, because it wouldn't explain the incredible increase in the number of cases in recent decades. I think they might want to investigate the role of recreational drug consumption.

"Having fevers while pregnant boosts the risk of having a child with autism, according to a study of more than 95,000 women1.The link is strongest in the second trimester, when a single fever is associated with a 40 percent increase in autism risk. Three or more fevers after the first trimester triples the risk of having a child with autism, according to the study, which appeared 13 June in Molecular Psychiatry.
The findings support the idea that a pregnant woman’s immune response, which often includes fever, can disrupt brain development in the fetus, says lead researcher Mady Hornig, associate professor epidemiology at the Columbia University.
The study is inconclusive on whether drugs that lower fever mitigate the risk, but the results hint that they might, says Sarkis Mazmanian, professor of biology at the California Institute of Technology. Mazmanian was not involved with the study but studies maternal infection as a risk factor for autism. “I’m being very optimistic here, but I think there’s value in more research in this space,” he says."

Great, something else to worry about for pregnant mothers.

See:
https://spectrumnews.org/news/autism-risk-climbs-number-fevers-pregnancy/

It seems to be the inflammatory immune response that is the problem. This may be a factor, but it's not the only factor, I'm sure, because it wouldn't explain the incredible increase in the number of cases in recent decades. I think they might want to investigate the role of recreational drug consumption.

"Having fevers while pregnant boosts the risk of having a child with autism, according to a study of more than 95,000 women1.The link is strongest in the second trimester, when a single fever is associated with a 40 percent increase in autism risk. Three or more fevers after the first trimester triples the risk of having a child with autism, according to the study, which appeared 13 June in Molecular Psychiatry.
The findings support the idea that a pregnant woman’s immune response, which often includes fever, can disrupt brain development in the fetus, says lead researcher Mady Hornig, associate professor epidemiology at the Columbia University.
The study is inconclusive on whether drugs that lower fever mitigate the risk, but the results hint that they might, says Sarkis Mazmanian, professor of biology at the California Institute of Technology. Mazmanian was not involved with the study but studies maternal infection as a risk factor for autism. “I’m being very optimistic here, but I think there’s value in more research in this space,” he says."

Thanks for posting Angela. I believe my mom was sucking on Ice cubes watching Reddwarf while pregnant. I don't recall mom ever saying she got fever though; though I just talked to her about it and she said she caught the common cold. It's worth noting that autism could be genetic, in my case most of my Parental Half-Siblings and Cousins have Autism as well. :)

This thread has been viewed 2173 times.

Back