Fire Haired14

Banned
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b DF27*
mtDNA haplogroup
U5b2a2b1
16 unique Balkan haplotypes

I found 16 haplotypes unique to the Balkans. I also found four of them in Southern Italy. Did they get there from Greece? Tomenable can you put this link in a thread at Anthrogencia?

Reactions: Nik
Interesting, what does it mean? For a beginner, what do haplotypes show? is it common for unique haplotypes to be as frequent within one region as in the balkans?

Interesting, what does it mean? For a beginner, what do haplotypes show? is it common for unique haplotypes to be as frequent within one region as in the balkans?

Yeah, I should have told what it means in my blog post because it means a lot.

Both mtDNA haplogroups and mtDNA haplotypes are maternal lineages. What makes a mtDNA haplotype different from a mtDNA haplogroup is it is much more rare and hasn't been labelled by geneticists yet.

I found 800 haplotypes in 20,000 mtDNA samples from West Eurasia. Most of those haplotypes correlate really well with geography. The 16 Balkan mtDNA haplotypes are some of the haoplotypes that are most popular in the Balkans. These haplotypes aren't just most popular in the Balkans though they might be completely exclusive to the Balkans. That's what makes them special and is why I made a post about them.

It's super difficult to find mtDNA differences between different European populations. Relatively speaking almost every population in Europe has nearly identical mtDNA. The 800 West Eurasian haplotypes I've found though has found lots of differences and so is really important.

Thank you for the explanation FireHaired14 :)

Great article. Please keep us posted with more similar news.

Yeah, I should have told what it means in my blog post because it means a lot.

Both mtDNA haplogroups and mtDNA haplotypes are maternal lineages. What makes a mtDNA haplotype different from a mtDNA haplogroup is it is much more rare and hasn't been labelled by geneticists yet.

I found 800 haplotypes in 20,000 mtDNA samples from West Eurasia. Most of those haplotypes correlate really well with geography. The 16 Balkan mtDNA haplotypes are some of the haoplotypes that are most popular in the Balkans. These haplotypes aren't just most popular in the Balkans though they might be completely exclusive to the Balkans. That's what makes them special and is why I made a post about them.

It's super difficult to find mtDNA differences between different European populations. Relatively speaking almost every population in Europe has nearly identical mtDNA. The 800 West Eurasian haplotypes I've found though has found lots of differences and so is really important.
Those 16 Balkan mtDNA haplotypes , can you tell us the aproximate age of each one?

There are only 15 haplotypes listed there.

There are only 15 haplotypes listed there.

There were originally 16 haplotypes. But after I made the post I chose to remove one of them. The one I chose to remove is a T1a5 haplotype. It's popular in Romania and Bulgaria but only one other Balkan representative. It also popped up in Sweden, Lebanon, and Egypt. It's an interesting haplotype but not Balkan-specfic.

This thread has been viewed 5691 times.

Back