early modern human mtDNA admixture into Neanderthalers

it's about a branch of Neanderthalers that was isolated from other Neanderthalers since some 270 ka

the paper : https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16046

dienekes : http://dienekes.blogspot.be/2017/07/deepest-neandertal-mtdna-split.html

What do you think of this, Bicicleur:

"It seems to me that this hypothesis, that Modern Humans and Neandertals stem from a non-African ancestor (a non-African population of H. heidelbergensis, for example), has much to recommend it.

Eurasia has twice the size of Africa and has been home to hominins for ~1.8 million years. It was inhabited by diverse hominins, and thanks to blind luck we discovered that as late as a few tens of thousands years ago, it also sported two of the populations that split off before anyone else: first H. floresiensis, and second Denisovans.

While a North African source of modern humans is plausible, the data seems to favor a Eurasian origin of the (Modern Human, Neandertal) ancestor."

What do you think of this, Bicicleur:

"It seems to me that this hypothesis, that Modern Humans and Neandertals stem from a non-African ancestor (a non-African population of H. heidelbergensis, for example), has much to recommend it.

Eurasia has twice the size of Africa and has been home to hominins for ~1.8 million years. It was inhabited by diverse hominins, and thanks to blind luck we discovered that as late as a few tens of thousands years ago, it also sported two of the populations that split off before anyone else: first H. floresiensis, and second Denisovans.

While a North African source of modern humans is plausible, the data seems to favor a Eurasian origin of the (Modern Human, Neandertal) ancestor."

I would still go for an African origin of modern humans.
After all haplo A is typical African.
For haplo BT, I'm not so sure, haplo B and E might be backmigrations.
The nubyan complex originated in NE Africa, but during the Eemian (after the before last glacial maximum), it appeared in Arabia and stayed ther for some 70.000 years.
The appearance of the nubyan complex in Arabia predates the split of BT, which might be the branch that brought the nubyan complex in Arabia

We know now that early modern humans lived among many other tribes that went extinct in their Y and mtDNA.
The Irhoud samples are some 300 ka, and the 2 ka San were a mixture of haplo A with a 260 ka population.

I doubt the Omo Kibish 195 ka remains are modern humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omo_remains
They seem more related to Irhoud and Skhul/Qafzeh. They all have the protruding unibrow.
To me it looks like the modern human branch with Nubyan complex came to replace these people in NE Africa some 160 ka.

The second split in the Y-DNA pedigree was the split of A0-T, which happened 161.3 ka.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/A0-T/
I wouldn't be surprised if these were the first people with Nubyan complex tools.
Apart from A00, all older Y branches of modern humans went extinct.

ncomms16046-f1.jpg

Dienekes actualy wonders where the first split in the above pedigree happened (some 600 ka) : was it Africa or Eurasia?
The mtDNA that got admixed into the Neanderthal is not modern human DNA, but ancestral to modern human.
That this admixture was found in Europe would plead in favor of ancestors living in or near Europe.

something else :

I think there were 2 consecutive waves of modern humans out of Africa
the first wave happened during the before last glacial maximum and got extinct in Y and mtDNA, but autosomaly it contributed to Basal Eurasian
it is testified by the Jebel Faya tools found and dated 129 ka
during the Glacial Maximum the dry bottom of the Persian Gulf must have been a very good refugium
during the Eemian, the Persian Gulf got drowned again and people must have moved further east
testified by 80 ka modern human teeth in Yunnan, SW China and tools above and beyond the Toba tephra in Jwalapuram, India, and by hints of human presence in Sundaland and Sahul since 60 ka
the 2nd wave was the above mentioned Nubyan complex expansion into Arabia during the Eemian, haplo BT

furthermore I think the Basal Eurasian arrived in the Levant and Zagros Mountains back from the Indus delta along with microliths and bow and arrow and with haplo G and H2 during the onset of LGM
35 ka, before LGM the Thar desert started to expand and finaly would have covered the whole of the Indus Valley and northern India

This thread has been viewed 3137 times.

Back