Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtic / Italic
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-CTS3601
mtDNA haplogroup
U3a2a
Hello everybody !

I tested my autosomal dna with different companies (23andme/FTDNA) and i uploaded both raw data.I saw i had different values with eurogenes K36 calculator.

Is it normal ? The differences are low but why they exist ?

For exemple:

23andme

FTDNA

Hello everybody !

I tested my autosomal dna with different companies (23andme/FTDNA) and i uploaded both raw data.I saw i had different values with eurogenes K36 calculator.

Is it normal ? The differences are low but why they exist ?

For exemple:

23andme

FTDNA

I have small differences as well

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

There are differences of course but I thought the raw data were the same

while the spit that you sent to both companies (the raw-est data of them all!) may have been the same, i doubt either company fully unravels your genome. ancestry is said to examine about 700 000 of your snps, whereas ftdna only 690 000-ish, suggesting that the numbers get a bit squished with the ftdna sample, or possibly either company might pick out different aspects of your ancestry while processing your sample. i was always terrible with biology in school, so someone here is bound to have a clearer explanation but i think that might account for the slight differences.

I also thought about a difference in the number of SNPs tested

What does a company does:
a) Takes a sample of your Saliva
b) Extracts DNA from it
c) Take a dozen os so small Samples from that DNA, and compares them to reference populations.
d) Since due to being insufficient, every sample will yield different results, the lab average those results

So it follows that no 2 tests will yield the same results until the number of samples the companies take are sufficient, and/or the quality of the samples improves enough.Therefor, if you take tests from two different companies and upload them on Gedmatch it is almost certain that they will calculate different result each, as the processed genetic material each Company tested would be different(the samples are not reflecting of your DNA-too small-not enough markers).

But in your case the differences are trivial so i dont see much of a problem. Nevertheless, If you take the average between the two, in all likelihood you will move closer to the real percentages.

It's better to do a haplotype test to be honest

This thread has been viewed 6021 times.

Back