Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Well, they can't move very fast. :)

See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/5762-170726-israel-freshwater-turtle

"JERUSALEM, ISRAEL—According to a report in The Jerusalem Post, Rebecca Biton of Hebrew University has found evidence that hominins hunted freshwater turtles in the northern Jordan Valley some 60,000 years ago. “In Israel, at every archaeological site you will find some evidence of the exploitation of tortoises, which do not have much meat, but were consumed,” she said. The discovery of Western Caspian turtle remains, which live in fresh water, suggests that humans were also exploiting animals from Hula Lake and the surrounding swamps. “They took the turtle and smashed the shell and cooked whatever meat they could extract,” she said. The meat was carefully removed with a flint knife, she added."

See also the below link. I wonder what turtles/tortoises would have represented to a shaman?

"http://www.archaeology.org/issues/215-1605/trenches/4347-trenches-turkey-turtle-burial
"Excavations at the site of Kavuşan Höyük in southeastern Turkey uncovered the unique burial of a woman and a child—the pair were interred with as many as 21 turtles, tortoises, and terrapins. The grave dates to around the sixth century B.C., and was discovered by a team led by Gülriz Kozbe of Batman University. Archaeologists were stunned to find the grave so littered with chelonian remains, most of which belonged to the Euphrates soft-shelled turtle. Turtles were not normally part of the local diet, but the evidence indicates that these were butchered and consumed as part of a funeral ritual before their shells were deposited in the grave. Researchers believe that shelled reptiles had symbolic roles as psychopomps, or guiding spirits, in the afterlife. “Very few examples of burials containing both turtle and tortoise are known,” says Rémi Berthon from France’s National Museum of Natural History. “We think that it proves that the deceased had either a high social status or a high ritual value, sort of as a shaman.”"

Turtle soup was once very popular in the U.S. I've never had it, but the idea of eating it doesn't put me off or anything. I eat sauteed or fried soft shell crab (whole, shell and all) with great delight. :)
turtlesoupeveningpost1812.png

Turtle soup Revolutionary War style, supposedly...
turtle_soup.jpg

Modern version:

7-recipes-turtle_soup_brennans-750x750.jpg

Soft shell crab:
SPG-2781-1.jpg

Either they were very desperate for meat or these turtles are very tasty. I never had one yet. I need to visit Virginia Beach or South East Asia soon.

Either they were very desperate for meat or these turtles are very tasty. I never had one yet. I need to visit Virginia Beach or South East Asia soon.

They probably ate everything that didn't eat them, right? :)

It sounds like it would be good...

"[FONT=q_serif]The flavor of turtle runs across a spectrum of fishy-to-beefy, depending on the variety and the method of cooking. Sea turtles -- most of which are now protected species -- actually fall on the 'beefy' side, often being compared to veal in both flavor and texture, though with abundant and savory fat. Fresh water turtles tend toward the 'fishy' side, though also fattier than most fish.[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]Land turtles or tortoises, I find, are pretty much indistinguishable from other reptiles, whether snake or alligator. 'Chickeny' would be an apt description."

[/FONT]
https://www.quora.com/What-does-turtle-taste-like

I had alligator in Big Easy, looked like beef and of similar texture, but of rather light meaningless taste. It needs to be marinated or cooked in good sauce to be tasty. Bullfrog legs, on other hand, were delicious and tasted like best chicken ever. At least these are mine impressions.

I had alligator in Big Easy, looked like beef and of similar texture, but of rather light meaningless taste. It needs to be marinated or cooked in good sauce to be tasty. Bullfrog legs, on other hand, were delicious and tasted like best chicken ever. At least these are mine impressions.

I've had frog legs and I thought they were excellent too.

IMG_0894.jpg

Deep fried like these supposedly Cajun ones? I'm a hypocrite so I'd prefer that they not look so much like the bottom half of a human. :(

hqdefault.jpg

Gator tastes like fluffy chicken.

The whaling crews that ran from Nantucket killed most of the Galopagos Tortoises because they launched their missions with the expectation of stopping on an island and restocking their meat supply with the big and easy to catch tortoises. They got them all pretty much.

Gator tastes like fluffy chicken.

The whaling crews that ran from Nantucket killed most of the Galopagos Tortoises because they launched their missions with the expectation of stopping on an island and restocking their meat supply with the big and easy to catch tortoises. They got them all pretty much.
Eating alligator is on my to do list..,the idea of eating something that would eat me is intriguing....I've seen clips of large deer being eaten by these beasts.

@Angela

Check out those hulking frog quads! This is why frogs jump so high!!! Hopefully you kept all your teeth after eating legs as strong as those...:)
But seriously, I've had frog legs before and taste wise, they weren't extraordinary. They tasted like chicken.

This thread has been viewed 3338 times.

Back